Friday, March 8, 2013

Praise From Caesar

I received a formal accolade at work today; a written statement of appreciation for my skills and effort accompanied by some financial recompense.  The praise came from a high level and was echoed by several other layers of management as well as my peers.  I actually have five (yes, count them; five) bosses, and this honor was wholeheartedly endorsed by all of them.  For all of them to agree on anything is a minor miracle; for all of them to agree on something that effects the bottom line is damn near unthinkable.  So, it was somewhat unexpected and I was a bit taken aback by my pleased reaction.  In my opinion, I haven't done anything above and beyond the call of my position; I've only tried to consistently do the best I can with what I have, or to find a way to make what I have better or easier to work with.

Of course, I didn't turn away from it or send it back.  I accepted both the compliments and addition to my income with - hopefully - grace and gratitude, and celebration.  It's nice to be recognized, nice to be compensated and oh so nice to be appreciated.

In thinking it over this evening, it brings to mind the very human need for validation.  I believe that all people need - at different times in life and to varying degrees, sure - for the human mirrors surrounding us to reflect back to us that we are ___________ (good, kind, worthy, cared for, important, loved, beautiful, smart, pick your needed adjective.)  Maturity and experience teach us to self-validate whenever possible, but we're social animals and it is still necessary to have someone(s) in our life to fill in that necessary care where we are unable to do so.

This is the opposite of what I was taught by my Nparents and siblings in my childhood 'family.'  I was taught that no matter what I did, how hard I tried, how much I sacrificed, I would NEVER be good enough.  I was forced to learn by action and speech that my role was to strive for an endless and amorphous goal that was completely within the control of cruel masters who would quickly yank it from within my grasp should I ever come within reaching distance.

An example: I was a perfect student in school.  Every report card that I ever brought home was A's from top to bottom, until my second year high school, when the Clan finally broke me.  For eleven years, though, academic and behavior marks were always the highest possible grades and there was always a nice comment from my teachers to go along with my excellent marks.  I actually skipped a grade, too.  Remember, all this was happening while my family moved so often that I didn't attend the same school two years in a row until I was in high school (and by then it was much too late.)  I was taught - as I think most ACoNs are in some form - that it was my job to be perfect, and I did my damnest to be so.

But... (isn't there always at least one?)
I distinctly remember bringing home one of those practically-perfect-in-every-way report cards and showing it to the Nparents.  They told me I'd done a good job and that they were very proud.  (And they were; not so much of me but of having a piece of paper that they could hold up to the world if necessary and proclaim, "See!  How could we be bad parents or scary monsters when we've produced this!")  It was a great moment for me; I'd finally succeeded in being good!  I didn't expect or need any further compensation.  Being GOOD, finally, was a great feeling.

Until they paid NSis and GCYB for their grades.  Right in front of me. Right in front of me.  I received nothing for my straight A's.  But NSis and GCYB were paid for each A they'd received (something like a dollar) and half that for each B they'd received.  My reward?  I was told that they weren't going to pay me for my straight A's because - a direct quote here as I remember it vividly, "A's are easy for you.  They had to work for their A's and B's."

I remember thinking, "So how am I supposed to do better?  Am I supposed to pretend to be stupid so that A's will seem hard?  How can I do better than perfect high scores?"  How cripplingly sad.  I could write about so many other examples of this mistreatment, but I'm sure you get the drift.  It was always like this.  What does the sadist do if the donkey's neck grows long enough to reach the carrot?  Get a longer stick, of course.

So I spent a lot of my life looking for praise and validation from sources that enjoyed twisting the rules of reality in order to deny me that basic human need.

I'm thinking about the flipside of that perpetual lose-lose tonight.

At some point in my process of getting away from the fucktards who raised me and growing into my own skin, I have learned how to stop seeking praise from those who won't give it or who would use it to hurt me.  I have stopped living or dying by the opinion of the crowd and I have learned how to - mostly, I'm no saint - do the right thing for the sake of the thing's rightness.

I get up every day and I do my best, in my work just as I do in my life, because I am satisfied by the internal knowledge that I've done what I can to be ethical, to stay right-sized, to help those around me, to participate, to contribute, to create goodness.  A large part of my motivation to just be a good damn person every day comes from my desire to NOT be like the members of the NFOO.  A bigger part of my motivation to seek and spread joy is just its own self-fulfilling prophecy.  I'm out of the hell I was kept in for so long, I'm alive, I can breathe the air and it smells sweet - why not enjoy it?

Receiving praise was wonderful, and I'll take it.  I'll enjoy it.  I'll savor it.
But I don't need it anymore.

Love,
Vanci

14 comments:

  1. Many ACoNs struggle to accept praise/compliments because in the past they were hollow and soon followed by increased expectations or put-downs.

    Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to accept well-deserved accolades with grace and dignity.

    BTW The parallels creeped me out again because I skipped a grade too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mulderfan,
      Thank you!

      We are very similar, aren't we? :) At least we're in good company!

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  2. This is just great, Vanci and congrats.
    And not just on your award from work, either! ;)
    TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TW,
      Thank you! I've come a long way, and recognizing my accomplishments is something that would have made me intensely uncomfortable not too many years ago. ;)

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I'm sp pleased for you!

    My parents pulled the same crap about "A's come easy for you and your sister has to work for them." It made me feel guilty and made my very bright sister feel stupid. My mother spent an inordinate amount of time "helping" my siblings with their school work mi wouldn't let her near mine.

    I never felt my parents alleged "pride" in me had anything to do with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vi,
      It's been such a revelation for me to parent two girls all the way through to almost adulthood and discover how EASY it is for me to be in love with them, proud of them, how much fun it is to celebrate them and their accomplishments. Of course, I'm not a patholicial malignant narcissist, but the parellel for me seems to be that not only did they NOT care about me; they had to work pretty fucking hard to find ways to make me feel bad. What a bunch of sickos.

      Yeah, that pride was only ever about them in my childhood, too.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  4. Vanci, congratulations for all your great achievements, and for owning them!

    I believe it's very important for ACoNs to receive validation outside of themselves. Our NParents never made deposits in our validation banks so we never had much in the way of internal resources. What exactly could we draw from? We were deprived and already over-drawn. Your story about your N siblings being financially compensated for achieving less than you is the perfect metaphor for this.

    The good news is you remained awesome despite this treatment! You were gifted with some miraculous inner resource those evil Ns will NEVER have. You go girl!

    Lisette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisette,
      Thank you!

      The financial metaphor is very good. In fact, it's not just a metaphor - DH and I recently paid off over $15,000 in debt that we accumulated on behalf of GCYB in order for him to open a business. The business failed before we exited the family - not a red cent was ever repayed.

      They're takers and users at their very core.

      I'm so glad I got out and stopped the insanity. I wish it had only cost $15,000, though!

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the verbal and financial reward! Always nice to receive especially when unexpected.
    And congratulations on being so comfortable in 'your own skin', finding yourself, loving yourself, etc...all those things we have to teach ourselves when our upbringings have been less than 'stellar'. lol!
    I have this little saying above my workstation and it has helped keep me on track as I've sorted through the narc family bullsh*t and learned to be happy in my own skin....
    "He who seeks for applause only from without has all his happiness in another's keeping"
    I don't trust the narcs with anything, especially not my happiness. It's so nice to get past the child stage where their approval once mattered and be in the adult, independent stage where, frankly, I don't give a rip what they think.
    Best wishes and thanks for a terrific blogsite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      Thank you!

      I have a little placard above my workstation too, though it's not nearly as inspirational. It says, "Borrow money from a pessimist; they don't expect it back." Makes me giggle.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  6. This is awesome Vanci. I am glad all your bosses agreed on your awesomeness. It may no longer be needed but like you said it sure feels good. I got a slight variation on the theme. I worked very hard to get good grades, it was not easy for me. My version, "You may have work harder to get good grades but your brothers are smarter." I still struggle with feeling like I am smart enough. My counselors validation went a long way to restoring my understanding that I was not the one with the problem. Even nicer when both of them reassured me I was smart. Funny as I write this I realized that this one still stings a bit. I am getting stronger but the little prick reminds me that what I say to others can make a difference. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! It's amazing how many people do not go to the effort to do their best. So, yes, it's a big deal. Good for you! And congratulations on reaching the point where you appreciate the outside validation but don't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vanci, congratulations and naturally your bosses couldn't help but see how much you rock!
    --LuLoo

    ReplyDelete