Saturday, April 28, 2012

Leaping and Looking

I've been thinking about the crux, the point of no return, the straw that breaks the Scapegoat's back, the Stand; the Jumping Off Point that we all seem to come to in our own ways and by our own paths.

It seems to me that we as ACoNs are raised from our earliest moments in the stew of dysfunction that a Narc Parent brews. It waxes and wanes, thins and thickens at times, but we're steeped in some version of it in some form... always. I hear ACoNs and survivors of abusive relationships talk about the 'good times' a lot, and we seem to need to state - whether we're convincing ourselves or others I'm not sure - that there were good times.

 I think that this is at least partially an extended function of our defense mechanisms; no one wants to believe that their primary caretakers or chosen partner, the people who taught us about 'love' and helped us to define (for better or worse) our definition of the face that greets us in the mirror could be outright mean or evil. We, taken as a whole, want to believe that there's good out there.

 I learned at my NM and ENF's knees to make excuses for the poor and hurtful and malicious behavior of those around me. It's what they taught me was right. They sculpted me to meet their needs, just like the clay and putty that I was in their hands. What else could I possibly have been as a dependent child? Water truly does rise to its own level, you know? And they had the benefit of setting the slope and degree of the pool.

 But then I went and did something that they hadn't counted on; I acted of my own will and accord and contrary to what they wanted and planned for me to do. Narcs in general are unable to do any long term planning of consequences when there are other free thinking participants involved in the action. They're like six-year olds with a chess board - they can only win as long as you make the moves they want you to. Make an un-predicted move and all hell breaks loose in their psyches; suddenly it's YOUR fault for not playing their game right! How dare you! The nerve!

 What did I do? What was the real cliff-hanging moment that started my awakening to their true natures? I'd like to think that I. Made. A. Stand. That I turned around one day and knew what was right and took action, that I was the catalyst for change. And that's right in part, because I WAS the reason that change happened. I DID do the work I needed to in order to grow, to change, to strengthen my self and to remove myself from their carefully crafted water table. But what was my jumping off point, really?

I don't remember the first Aha! moment that I had, but I do remember a three week period where, in my confusion about how to handle the ever increasing demands of the NFOO and how to get help for my mother who was spiraling further and further into serious prescription drug abuse, I committed the ultimate NFOO sin repeatedly.


I sought help from outside the Clan.

In my desperation to do something, anything, I talked to people about things that I'd never talked about before - and I told the truth, the real truth, not the Crazymaker version of the truth. That was it for me, the beginning of the end of the way things had been. Alice Miller wrote some version of this premise and I say it all the time and I'll say it again; the truth - once known - cannot be unknown. (I love the AAism for this: A head full of program and a belly full of whiskey just don't mix! True that.)

I stayed in that truth by continuing to talk, continuing to listen, continuing to find and use new resources and continuing to act in ways that felt both like freedom and betrayal at the same time. In getting and staying honest, in drawing and holding reasonable boundaries I was setting myself and my FOC free from the tyranny of the NParents and some slowly evolving part of me knew this at the time. But I also felt like I was betraying every tenet of belonging to the Clan that had been laid out - because I was breaking those rules of silence and isolation and control - and there was a lot of shame and confusion and drama in my heart at the time because I felt bad... for being good. I'd been inundated with the belief that good for Vanci was equal to Vanci being bad.

 I stuck to my new path to freedom by continuing to seek new knowledge, striving over and over again to change my perceptions and behaviors and most importantly by continuing to reach out and open up to other people in my life outside of the NFOO in whom I could trust (or at least in whom I hoped I could trust.) Before I knew it, those helping hands - true friends, counselors, new confidantes, cyber friends like you, self-help books and every other resource I could lay my hands on - had helped me to lift myself out of the rabbit hole and I could see my path clearly.

My path took me to No Contact so that's what I know the most about, but I'm not suffering under any delusion that NC is the only path. What seems to be important for us to heal is that we see our path and stick to it, whatever it is. So, no matter where you are on your path to freedom, here's my little tidbit of advice and comfort: The fact that you're here, that you're on your path, is enough. Keep searching, keep reading, keep writing, keep learning, keep reaching, keep stretching. Keep looking, keep leaping - and the order of those actions isn't necessarily important so long as we keep moving forward.

 Martin Luther King Jr. put this concept very eloquently: "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase; just take the first step."

 Love,
Vanci

25 comments:

  1. Thanks Vanci. Your timing is perfect. I needed to hear exactly this right now. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to you Ruth, and to you.
    Nitey nite!
    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. PA,
      I'm glad it helped and hugs to you too!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  4. Thanks Vanci!

    AA has really helped me understand the importance of "rigorous honesty" and sticking to my truth. No easy feat when you grow up surrounded by liars.

    Now I'm working on "doing the next right thing" when dealing with my FOO and, for me, that may be NC with some and LC with others. Whatever I choose, I will always make sobriety my 1st priority.

    My DD's sponsor says, "Expectations are resentments under construction." so I've been able to drop the expectation that my NPs will every change. Now I'm finding they have no power to hurt or trigger me.

    Since I've been working the program, I feel a profound change in the way I deal with my FOO. I see the AA philosophy coming through in your writing too.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. muldefan,
      You're welcome and thanks to you for reading and sharing too!
      I do find that my expectations of other peoples' behavior (especially sick and/or evil people)always lead to disappointment and eventually resentment. I put this in a different category than my expectations of how I will allow myself to be treated, with basic human dignity and respect.
      My Narcs failed that litmus test spectacularly!

      Good for you on keeping on, and whether you are LC or NC or a mix, I support your decisions to be a healthier you!

      Rock on sobriety! Rock on freedom!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  5. Great post!

    My FOO freaked when I began talking to therapists. They didn't even know what drove me there beyond that I was feeling a mess. They implied the problem was my husband and begged me to talk to them and not "some stranger".

    Interesting thoughts on ACoNs & other abused folks talking about "the good times". I don't think this is such a great idea because that is one of the methods an abuser uses to attempt to negate the abuse -- "but we had such a great time together doing X..." it's like they think that if we are able to smile or enjoy anything in our childhood, then it means the abuse didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vicariousrising,
      Thank you!
      Yeah, they don't like it when we open up their world in any way, do they? Hee hee.

      I agree that it's not a good idea to dwell on 'the good times,' as is often so closely followed by, 'maybe it wasn't that bad' or 'it could have been worse.

      I think that the antidote to that type of learned/defensive thinking is a heavy dose of truth and knowledge, which leads to remembering the truth!

      Thanks for reading!

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you're writing again, Vanci. I've had a very emotional and difficult week. Too many things to go into. The anniversary of my dad's death is coming up, and my NM's last words to me about him keep replaying: "Daddy said you were so cold we'd never come back to your house ever again." (The "cold" was only asking them to acknowledge that most of the time, we were the ones driving to their house, numerous times a year. They had come to our house only a very few times over all the years we've lived here. This is what constitutes "coldness" to her - asking for acknowledgment of what's actually and proveably true.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brace, my NPs said it was my duty to go to THEIR house and for me to phone THEM, never the other way around.

      They really took it to extremes and never came to see me after my husband died. Now THAT'S cold!

      Your NM's last words were designed to torment you. Don't let her win!

      Delete
    2. Hi Brace!
      It's good to be back. :)
      I'll never forget, near the beginning of the end when I was making a stand to try to (of all things) get my NM some help from outside with her life-threatening addictions, something that the NFOO couldn't allow to happen. My NSis said to me, "You don't even know what's really going on here (at the NParents' house where NSis and her family as well as GCYB lived rent-free,) I mean, YOU'RE NOT EVEN HERE!" It was designed to cut, to make me feel like I'd been shirking my responsibilities to protect NM and ENF and NSis and GCYB from themselves, because I and my husband and two DD's chose to - gasp! - live in our own home. I'd been at the Clan House every day for at least an hour for the preceding several weeks - a forty minute round trip from my house. I was 30 years old. I was doing what grown children are supposed to do, being self-sufficient. And this, in the twisted view of the narcs, was a sin and a crime.

      They're full of shit, Brace, just packed to the brim with it. Who fucking says something like that to their sister or their daughter?

      You're not cold; if you were you never would have made a very good scapegoat, would you?

      Many hugs to you and I'm sorry for your tough week.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  7. Brace, Ns lie. They manipulate. They re-write history. They conveniently "forget" (selective amnesia) and play the "Remember when.." they might have shown a speck of humanity in the midst of terrorizing. As if that tiny speck makes the deliberate cruelty acceptable in any way.
    It's not. It never will be. Your are in the presence of a world-class liar in your MN. A fabricator living a fabricated life who is shoving 'your part' of the script AT you. Don't pick it up.

    Excellent post, Vanci.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I needed this, too. My gosh, this entry came a good time for many of us. As horrible as it is to be an ACoN, it's so nice to read other perspectives and not feel alone in this.

    I was just talking with my husband about whether I should mail a mother's day card to my NM this year. Last year, she told me my card was "a day late and generic." I have never, ever, heard her complain about a card or gift from me, and it felt like a punch in the face. The card was sweet and in it I told her that I hoped she had a great, relaxing day and that I loved her. I guess that's generic, eh? Who rejects a card like that??? What's more, I've told her more than once how much her response hurt, and she has never ever acknowledged my feelings (I know--what do I expect from a NM?). She said, "Oh, you just have to forget about that." OK--shove my feelings out of the way to make room for yours.

    I have these wistful moments when I remember the good times, like you mentioned, Vanci. Some days I wonder if I made them up, but I know they were there. I just don't know what to do with those memories anymore. I'm a forgiving person, and I want desperately to believe that somewhere I still have a mother who is kind, understanding, and really cares about me.

    That "forgiving" side of me may not be what I think it is, though. Like Vanci said, I too have been trained to "make excuses for the poor and hurtful and malicious behavior of those around me. It's what they taught me was right." I have to remember the difference between my own compassion and my trained naivete.

    Your MLK quote reminded me of something my husband always tells me: Hit the "I believe" button and keep moving forward. The why, how, and what will be evident in time. Karma will run its course without you driving it. He also told me not to send a card just because I feel obligated out of filial responsibility or etiquette (my mom is practically Emily Post herself). I want to stay on the high road and not give my FOO more fodder, and I can't decide which way is best: send a card (another "generic" one) so that they can't say I didn't, or not send a card because a mother who treats me this way shouldn't be patted on the back for it. Rock, meet hard place.

    I know we're all in different situations, but if any of you have some advice, I'd be grateful. Thank you!
    K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would you send a mother's day card to someone who's not even a mom? I don't think a mother's day card is going to change your mom from psychopath to not psychopath. That's like sending a rapist flowers. It doesn't really do anything.

      Delete
    2. Hi K,
      I've been thinking about your question for a little while; with M-Day approaching I think I'll do an in depth post about that nest of snipers...
      But, for now, I can only say that my advice to you is for you to examine your motivations carefully, and then act on what will create the most safety for you.

      Why would you send a card? Because you want to or because it's expected? If you do send a card, are you sending one that makes you vulnerable or keeps you at a distance? If so, why? What are you expecting in return? A thanks? A snipe? To be ignored?

      I'm a big believer in planning for the worst and hoping for the best (hypervigilance is a symptom of trauma, yes, but it can also be of use.)
      So I guess my advice is this: do what feels best to you, but make sure you do it with every possible motivation or intention for your action clear in your mind.
      Then make sure to duck down behind the bunker.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    3. "OK--shove my feelings out of the way to make room for yours."

      That is SO what they do! YOU are "selfish"; THEY are "justified"!

      Delete
  9. KLF, take your time reading around this Blog and the others you see referenced. House of Mirrors has a great post on Aging Narcisissists-there are surely others but that one just popped in my head. Mulderfan is also dealing with aging MNs so check out her Blog.

    There's tons of material on all these Blogs re: "Being the Bigger Person" and how our basic decency, empathy, love and all of the wonderful human qualities we nons have are skillfully exploited by MNparent(s) and in fact, depend on them to continue their shameless behavior. I know Mother's Day is coming up in the US and many Adult Kids agonize over exactly this conundrum.

    Yes, we are all in different situations and there isn't a "One Size Fits All." But the underlying dynamics of MNparent(s) are strikingly similar as are their tactics. Keep reading, keep learning and please know you're not hardly alone.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TW,
      Thanks for your response and for reminding us all that we are NOT alone.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the post, Vanci. Well said!! I'm going to be using it for a post, tomorrow, over at The Project. It helped me clarify and solidify some things I've been thinking about.

    KFL5, I'm in a unique position to offer two different perspectives. I don't give my mother a card. I live in the same house, but I refuse to pretend a card is important. Some will say I'm vindictive. I say I've drawn a boundary and refuse to allow even a holiday to violate it, especially since it's a holiday created by Hallmark to sell more cards. Really. My sister, Ruth, yes, the one that commented further up, has taken a different approach. She finds a humorous card that makes her laugh and gives it to my mother, so she gleans some enjoyment from it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,
      Thanks for this - can you throw your project link up again? I can't ever seem to find it and I forgot to bookmark it last time.
      I'm sure some other readers would love to visit, too.
      Thank you!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  11. Oh, there were certainly good times, although the good times that solely included my NM were much fewer. But remembering them doesn't make me forget or deny the awful times. Especially not after having read my old diaries!

    When I was nine years old I wrote this in my first diary, it was my 7th entry: "Dear Diary, I'm going to kill myself cause of mom and dad! (I hate myself!)" Admittedly, as a child I often lumped my father in with my mother when I was little simply because he was a parent and not so much because he treated me like she did. I don't remember what triggered my writing that entry, but I do know it is not considered normal for a nine year old to be contemplating suicide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AA,
      Oh, that just makes my heart hurt. Please give your lil nine year old self a big hug from me and a big thanks for not taking action on that pain. So, so glad you're here.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  12. Just went no contact with my mother. Well... that's taking too much credit. She disowned me and told me that she doesn't want me in her life. I simply, finally, took her seriously after years of thinking, oh gosh, she can't mean that, not really, right? Not when I've rescued her--saving her life and her house on two separate occasions, and I do mean literally. But circumstances finally revealed to me... yep, she means it. So I've simply not contacted her in the aftermath.

    Anyway, it is challenging (working through much rage with therapist) and yet SO freeing. My own kids have been suggesting this for awhile. They are so relieved and happy to be NC with their grandmother. I hadn't realized what a burden this "relationship" was on them... and on my dear husband... and on other family members... and on close friends... Everyone is relieved I've finally accepted reality and let go. I'm eternally grateful, humbled, touched, moved by the love and patience my close family and friends have shown me in letting me take the time I needed (thank God it wasn't a lifetime) to see reality.

    So, nope, no mother's day cards this year. It's sooooo good to feel like I now have only authentic relationships in my life! I don't even have to send the generic "have a nice day" mother's day cards. (I could never stomach the gooshy ones, which were just a flipping lie in our case. Thank you mom for supporting/loving/helping/teaching me? Ah, no. Didn't happen.)

    My mother's birthday was a few weeks ago, and I didn't a card for that, either. Wheeee!

    On the other hand, my daughter and I happened to be somewhere a few days ago that sells greeting cards. She came over to me with a smile on her face and a twinkle in her eye and said, 'Hmmm. Maybe it's too bad you didn't send Grandmother a birthday card. This one would have been SO perfect."

    I took it from her, looked at it. Cover had a woman with a sour, bitchy expression on her face... looking so much like my mom it was startling. The type above her scary visage: "So you're having another birthday." Inside greeting: "Woop-de-flipping-do."

    And that was it.

    My daughter and I laughed for a good five minutes.

    For this mom's day, I invited my daughters to go out to brunch with me, followed by a trip to a wonderful aquarium. To my delight, they accepted. I'm so excited that I'll get to spend the day celebrating my amazing good fortune in being a mother, with two wonderful daughters. I'm treating THEM, because they are blessings to be celebrate. I never want them to feel like they have to fall at my feet and thank me for being their mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      Congratulations!
      It's a lot like waking up and suddenly seeing the light!
      I love your take on Mother's Day; it closely resembles mine. I'm so honored to be a part of my DD's lives!

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete