Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Keystone Concepts

I've been focusing heavily on staying in the moment lately, on simplifying my often distracted mind, on streamlining my hectic schedule and allowing myself a less frantic pace.  It's working and I'm starting to feel better, if not physically as much as I'd like, at least I'm finding ways to stop demanding so much from myself emotionally.  I have a lot of tools for accomplishing this, thankfully.

One of the allowances I've made in my quest to calm my mind and heart (and hope that my body will just take a fucking clue already,) has been to indulge my Inner Documentary Junkie.  We don't have television here in the house of Vanci, you see, because A) it rots your brain, B) from what I've seen of television in the last fifteen years, either I've gotten really really smart or the rest of the planet has gotten progressively stoopid-er and C) our area is rural enough that we don't have any free television channels available and I'm too cheap to pay someone to beam into my home and ask my if my teeth are white enough or if I'd like to lose weight without trying.  So, no television channels, but of course we watch movies and we play video games and the like.  I'm not a Luddite, I'd just honestly rather read a novel if I find that I have excess time in my life.

What we do have in my little town, though, is a killer library.  And that library has a fairly extensive movie/tv series selection.  So, I've been checking out documentaries lately and DH and the DD's have indulged me by letting me watch them in the family room in the evenings - sometimes the series are good enough that one or two of the family members get interested, too!

I recently finished a rather poorly done - but still fascinating, to me at least - series on the 'secrets' of ancient architecture.  I'm happy to report that I now know far more than I will ever be required to know about the difference between doric, ionic and corinthian columns.  So I've got that going for me.

One of the so-called secrets that fascinated me the most, though, transcended cultural boundaries and seemed to show up in all of the ancient civilizations discussed were these enormous stone archways that stood for millenia over huge spans and at towering heights.  There, apparently, always has been debate about how these wide curved spans were constructed by people with marked lacks of technological advancement: how does a society with no firm grasp of potential uses of wheels manage to heft a series of two-ton blocks into the air in a graceful, flowing curve so masterfully that they'll stay in their place for, theoretically, ever?

It's all about the keystone - the load bearing, specifically shaped, precisely fitted wedge at the top of the span that, once inserted, holds everything together.  I'm not a geologist and geometry wasn't ever my thing, but my lack of technical understanding hasn't stopped my absolute respect for this concept of the one key piece that determines the fate of the rest of the structure.

So I'm thinking about my own personal keystone concepts.  I've survived an awful lot of really terrible events and people in my life, and I'm grateful for that.  I've learned from these experiences, and I'm even more grateful for that.  What I've mostly learned is that I wasn't always able to prevent the Big Bads from happening (and I'm sure I won't be able to sometimes in the present or the future, too,) but that I can pick up certain invaluable tools every time I make it through, and I get to keep those tools.

Those tools have become my go to's, no matter the situation, the ideas, concepts, learning that I can come back to and understand that yes, THIS, THIS is what works, THIS is the TRUTH.  I hold that little collection of Truths near and dear to my heart: that I am lovable, that I didn't/don't deserve for bad things or people to happen to me, that love is strength, etc.  But I've been wondering what the crux Truth is, if there is a single identifiable piece of Truth that holds all of the others to their shape.  The baseline, the square one, the universal Truth.  What's the keystone?

I think it's this:
I exist as a human bean, and that alone grants me the right to decency.

The right to decency isn't about entitlement.  I don't deserve anything more than you or anything more than I'm willing to work to attain and keep or give away.  Being in the line up, after all, does not guarantee one the right to a home run.  It doesn't even guarantee the right to a swing, necessarily.  But it does guarantee me the right to show up and to take a shake at it if the opportunity presents itself.

It seems to me that the people who've tried to hurt me have really, at the core of their behavior, been trying to take away my right to exist.  Through fear, lies, manipulations, violence, abusers have tried to convince me that I deserved less than the breath I inhale and exhale, or that I should be ashamed for taking that air.

Every time I've come back around to understanding that I didn't have to take abuse, my strength has come from my eventual understanding that I have a right to decency: which simply means to me that I have a right NOT to be hurt, or to choose to walk away from hurt.

It's sad to me when I hear people say, in response to an action of distance taken by one being abused from an abuser,
 "But she's your mother/sister/friend/teacher/father/uncle/brother/pastor/lover/husband/wife etc..." as a means of implying that, yes, this behavior is unacceptable, but some tie that you have with the person treating you inappropriately requires you to ignore the abuse.

As if abuse can be lessened or somehow condoned based upon the title or DNA similarity of the abuser and victim.  This quantification is a protection of the abuser to the detriment of the one being abused, and that's a societal sickness that's, unfortunately, socially acceptable.  But it's not a Truth.

The Truth to me, the Keystone of Truth I suppose, is that it doesn't matter who wants to hurt me nearly as much as it matters that I have a right not to be hurt.

I'm a human bean and I have the right to exist and be treated decently.
So are you and you do too.


Love,
Vanci

18 comments:

  1. I just love this. I love how it brought me back around to the simplicity, the CORE of the thing. We have a right not to be abused.

    And the keystone idea - that is something I am going to explore.

    Thank you, Vanci.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gladys,
      Thank YOU for reading it and for (blush) loving it. We do have a right not to be abused, but all of the shadow games and manipulations and ways that they've fiddled with our psyches make that hard to remember sometimes.

      I can't wait to hear your keystone explorations: I'm sure that your take on it will be enlightening. :)

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  2. They wanted to kill my soul but society is OK with that because my body survived, besides, they were family!

    Yeah, these days I walk away from ANYONE who doesn't treat me with dignity and respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mulderfan,
      Good for you! Like you, I walk away, sometimes while singing an off-key rendition of Nancy Sinatra's ode to walking away footwear.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful. You always post the most introspective things that radiant with universal truths.

    I needed to be reminded today that it is OK for me to walk away from being hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jessie,
      Thank you!

      It is okay for you to walk away from being hurt. And it will only get better from that point.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. I want to thank Vanci in particular and the entire community in general for your inspiration. To highlight Vanci's latest post about the right to be treated decently: we've had problems with a neighbor for over a decade. Basically, these folks could be extras in the movie Idiocracy; they're loud, stoopid, rude, and proud of it. This latest go-round of belligerent rudeness, I was finally strong enough to make it stop. I made my voice heard to the right authorities and wouldn't sit down and shut up until the idiots were held accountable. Why? Because I matter. Thanks to all of you for showing me the path and sharing your successes so I believed it was possible for me, too.

      --LuLoo

      Delete
  4. Love this! For the first time I'm able to visualize what's always bothered me about the idea of "if you just do this one thing, then..." They've missed the point of the keystone. The keystone doesn't stand alone; it holds a whole bunch of important things together, making them complete, without which they fall apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,
      Thank you!
      It's nice to tie it all together, isn't it? Nice to get it all locked in place and ... indestructable, no matter how they want to nit-pick it.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  5. Not only are we human beans, we're also groan-ups. As such, we have a responsibility to the Little Ones under our care to *stop* the Legacy and to not expose them to The Crazy we endured. And to support other groan-ups on their journey from N Family dynamics and abuse. The former need us to ensure they never suffer under N-Regimes in the name of labels and DNA; the latter, to assist them in developing the confidence to believe in themselves and their experiences; to sound the FOG horn, to assist in re-calibrating their compasses to their own true North, to let them know their sense of isolation was a tactic to ensure they'd remain attached to and dependent upon those who benefitted by keeping them hoop-jumping for the love and approval which will *never* be forth-coming. Not because they lack in any way, but because their "Loved Ones" weren't, aren't and never will be.
    And that's the sad truth.
    I've also discontinued my Dish "service." I'm too remote for Cable. I can get PBS, the Indie Film Channel, Nat Geo, the Documentary Channel and a bunch of other great stuff on my computer at no charge. I had a bunch of channels on my "Service" and few, if any were worth my limited $$. I can read news from all over the world including (gasp!) Al Jezeera. Sometimes, it does a mind well to read/experience perspectives from all over this planet. And it does wonderful things for the Little Ones who will someday inherit this planet.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TW,
      A human bean and a groan-up?! Yikes, when did that happen? :)
      Watching my girls grow up with, at the very least, a lighter shade from the umbrella of abuse that I had is... well, it's just everything good and wonderful in the world wrapped up all together in a shiny beautiful present. Seeing the freedom that other survivors find and heal with is just the same thing.

      Learning that the so-called approval of so-called "Loved Ones" was a thing of fiction and illusion was a hard won first step for me. Coming to the point of not craving that illusion was the work of years, but it's been the greatest, proudest development for me in this part of my journey, along with the knowledge that their shite stops here, in my generation, with me and doesn't get to roll down onto anyone else's shoulders. A sad truth to realize that they are incapable of what I need as a human bean, sure, but there's been such great freedom for me in realizing that what I need doesn't and didn't ever have to come from them. Hoorah!

      We stay connected through cyberspace and NPR on the radio here, mostly, as I find that balanced external 'reporting' is so hard to come by. I often tell the DD's that I think that their generation is the smartest yet, partly because they are so absolutely connected on a global scale and so attuned to being part of the largest possible community. It's second nature to them to care just as much about an injustice on the other side of the globe as they do about one happening next door. After all, both have always been real and present right at their fingertips. It makes me think that there might be hope for greater peace in the future!

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  6. I don't have anything brilliant to add besides "hear hear" and "bravo" to both the post and the comments. I think I've rotted my brain with too much TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vi,
      When Joss Whedon takes over the networks I will, of course, rethink my level of connectivity. :)
      And darlin', we should all be so lucky as to have the stuff you've got between your ears. If that's rotten, put me in the microwave to speed up the process.

      Muah!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. I fear Joss has abandoned the boob tube. But he's going to be at SXSW for his world premiere of Much Ado About Nothing and I've got a ticket. :). I'll have to practice not making a fool of myself by dropping to my knees and chanting "I'm not worthy!"

      Delete
  7. Because of some tie it is tolerated, expected, minimized. Love your insight. Comments from your readers add to this one theme. We deserve respect. A keystone that holds arches together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth,
      You said it. What a slippery slope it is, too, once we begin to quantify which ties make abuse allowable. Why isn't there a zero tolerance policy for abuse, I wonder? As an ACoN, I know that at least part of the answer to that question is that -for a time- those minimizing the abuse were the rulemakers perpetrating it.

      I'm going to think of that keystone in my archway often.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. With all the press coverage on bullying, I'd think that it's extension, parents who bully their kids, would get some attention. But no, we're still the ones that are supposed to let go and forgive and play nice.

      Delete
  8. I'm always so blessed by the things you write, Vanci. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete