Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Contagious Blindness

I'm open about my struggles to the degree that it's appropriate in my everyday life.  I don't go around with a giant black A for abused or a scarlet S for scapegoat stitched onto my chest, but when people ask, I tell the truth.  When people tell me about their challenges and struggles in dealing with family issues, spousal issues, parenting issues, I try to engage in honest dialogue that reflects my truthful experience. 

There are a couple of reasons for this.  First, having been raised in the vortex of deception that my narcissistic Crazymaker parents created, and having removed myself from that particular cesspool, I value truth above all else.  I want to live authentically, and I practice the principle of authenticity on a daily basis.  When I screw up, I admit it.  When I do well, I allow myself to be proud and to take credit.  When I'm asked what I think... I say what I think.  This particular trait seems to be rather rare in our world and societies, at least in all the circles that I'm familiar with.  I'm not trying to be unique, I'm just trying to stay sane and I wholeheartedly subscribe to the maxim that we are as sick as our number and depth of secrets.  So, I tell the truth. 

Second, telling the truth helps me to keep my stories straight.  I've said before - the truth doesn't have versions, it just is.  Honesty, therefore, is a link to reality for me.  I've found that if I am not consistently honest about what I've been through, what they did to me, how it affected me and how I'm coping, I will quickly become confused.  I don't think I'm alone in this, but I'm pretty sure that this concept is difficult for anyone who wasn't raised with Narcs to understand.  You see, I was indoctrinated from all sides from an early age on with the idea that the Narcs had the power to change facts, history, dates, times, events and actual true accounts of reality by simply saying it wasn't so.  When they decided that the painful truths of the past or present were just not meshing with the pictures of themselves that they wanted to display on the mantle, they simply changed those truths.  They made them into bastardized versions of the truth.  And their versions of the truth - subject to further revision at any given time - became the New Truth! 

There were (and are still, I'm sure) so many instances of this revisionism, gaslighting, stonewalling and outright lying in my life with the NFOO that it truly becomes difficult to know what the truth really is.  It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack... that's piled on the back of a truck... going 70 mph down the highway... in the dark... which someone constantly removing parts of the pile and someone else constantly adding more hay to the top.  Bad metaphor, I know, but, hey it's the truth.  So, when I find the needle of truth in that mess, I hold onto it dearly.  Because truth, reality, what really happened is so very important to me.  They really can't change the truth, you know, no matter how hard they try.  It just is.

But, inability to change the truth won't stop them from trying.  Furthermore, it won't stop them from trying to cover it up, either.  They're basically professional level liars and manipulators, and they haven't gotten away with it for their entire lives by doing it poorly.  They have a system, they cover each other, it works.  Unsuspecting non-Narcs who come into contact with them are easily rubed.  How could they not be?  The Crazymakers have justifications, rationalizations, revisions of history, explanations and misdirection on their side.  EF, family lore goes, could have sold icicles to Eskimos.

Jonsi asked in the coments of my Invisibility and Dark Shadows post:
"I wonder Vanci...did anyone you ever met growing up or in your young-adulthood ever tell you that they thought your family behaved strangely or that they were abusive?"

Oh my, Jonsi!  What a normal, normal question to ask!  This made me laugh out loud, not at the question, certainly, but because it would have been so ludicrous if this had happened.  Here's the why:

They moved us around every year for a reason.  It's entirely possible to maintain a perfectly perfect projection of a facade of perfectness... for a short period of time.  I don't know how much of the grand master plan of physical isolation was completely conscious on the part of NM and EF and how much was below surface, but I'm absolutely positive that they knew at some level that if we stayed anywhere too long, people would get close.  And when 'outsiders' get close to a family as fucked up as ours was, they see through the veneer.  Most 'normal' people, granted, would turn a blind eye (and of the few who did get close to us in one way or another, the great majority did just that,) but those who got close enough to see some of the truth behind the castle gates and might have done anything about it had very little time to act or react.  They usually only began to suspect, it seems, as we were loading up the moving vans.

Even when physical isolation wasn't possible, the Crazymakers created an airtight shelter of emotional isolation.  Here's a small sample. 
When I was about 11 years old, I began to gain some serious weight.  I know now that this was partly a subconscious attempt to make myself unattractive; having been sexually abused wreaks havoc on a girl's self image, particularly as she enters into puberty.  I'd imagine I was doing some hormonally driven emotional eating too.  With the small amount of safety that my newly unattractive body gave me, I started to open up a bit.  I had a couple of close-ish girlfriends for the first time in my young life.  I started writing.  I had a teacher who took an interest in helping me into 'gifted' classes. 
I started to get comfortable with myself.  Oops.

I expressed my desire to slim down to NM.  She put me on 'slimfast.'  No kidding.  Almost 12 years old, going through puberty, gaining weight to hide shame, and she put me on a fad diet that A) doesn't really work and B) truly isn't healthy for anybody, really, but especially for a growing girl.  So, I became hungry, shamed by my hunger, sick to my stomach and generally ill at ease.  Oddly (unless you grew up with Narcs like this,) we ate dinner out in restaurants more during this six month period than any other time that I can remember in my life with the NFOO.  And at every single dinner, when the waitress would get around to asking me what I wanted, EF would say, loudly, in his best preacher-man voice, "Oh, she can't have anything!  She's on Slimfast!"  And then NM would say to him, "EF, don't say that!  You know Vanci's sensitive about her weight/dieting!"  I would get upset, of course, and my cheeks turn red when I'm ashamed. I was a glowing beacon of chubby shame sitting at a booth in public place. 

So, NM would pat my hand and say, always within ear-shot of the waitiress (audience,) "Oh, don't be upset, it's not your fault, Vanci.  It's my genes, you know, and so my fault that you tend toward chubby.  I've had to work so hard all my life to keep the weight off..."

Unless you grew up with this, unless you've had this happen to you, well, at worst to an observer it just seems weird or it seems like these are parents who don't have a firm grasp on the finer etiquette points of social conversation.  At best it appears to be the dialogue of two parents who are lovingly trying to help their overweight daughter to be healthier or fit into society better.  No one thinks, "Oh, that nicely dressed married couple over there with the big smiles and the promise of a nice tip are trying to cover up that they routinely torture and humiliate at least one of their children." 

They are just so damned good at the show of it all.  They have layers and layers of nice painted on the outside; so many that it's really impossible to tell where one lie starts and another begins.  They just seem like such nice people.  There's a comment I've heard often, and it's totally true!  They do seem like nice people, because they act like nice people, and they're good at this charade, because the maintenance of this farce is absolutely critical to the maintenance of the style of living and life they want to have.   If they seemed rotten, they'd never be able to get away with it - if they acted on the outside like the monsters that they truly are, CPS would have taken all three of us kids away pronto. 

So, unfortunately, no, dear Jonsi, no one ever said those things to me.  Most outsiders weren't allowed to be close enough to see beyond the masks.  Those few who did make it through weren't allowed access for very long.  Of those who did glimpse the reality of the NFOO, most were treated immediately and intensely to the blindingly convincing show of Narc-y Nice Nice.  I don't know of any outsider who ever infiltrated to the core, honestly.

And this is the last piece of this answer, and the reason for this post's title.  They lied so well that 99% of people believed the lies.  Further, they created a lose-lose for me: tell the truth and we'll destroy you, go along with the lie and we'll leave you alone, sometimes.  But mostly, and this is the sad part for me, they held so much of my self-worth in their palms, that even when I was the subject of the abuse, I was willing to lie along with them to cover up their 'sins.'  After all, even if I didn't believe it was totally my fault, did I really want to create a situation that would leave our family homeless?  Take away EF's livelihood?  Destroy my mother?  Hurt my sister?  Devastate my brother?  So I drank the kool-aid, you know? 

And then, I grew up.  I had lots and lots of 'friends' and acquaintances, too, but they didn't really know me.  How could they?  I learned inauthenticity over my baby food jars.  I, too, as the child of manipulative narcissists, can make you believe anything I want you to, should I choose.  And with all those friends and acquaintances, I chose to make them believe that I was fine, just fine, can't you see how fine I am.  This repression of my pain, primarily, is what led me to the bottle... the release of this repression is what started me down the road to healing. 

I don't think that the outsiders we came into contact with were neccesarily stupid, though.  I think they just fell victim to the sway of the Narcs, who are very good at their brand of hypnosis.  At least that's what I'd like to believe; I really want to think that if there had been any adult in my life long enough to see the reality of my childhood, they'd have spoken up.  I'd like to believe that if I'd been capable of being authentic with any of my friends or acquaintances in young adulthood, they would have seen the reality of the situation and come to my aid.  I'd like, honestly, to believe that people are generally good at a core level. 

And so, that's what I am - honest and authentic and very, very open.  I hope beyond hope that my openess, my authenticity, my 100% real and true story can help someone else.  And I keep my eyes peeled and my tongue at the ready because I want to be sure that I can be that voice to someone else if the opportunity arises.  I want to be able to say (and I have in the past and it's helped others,) "Listen to me, please.  You have a right to be treated with decency; you have a right to be treated with respect; above all, in all circumstances, you have an absolute right to defend yourself and an absolute right to safety."

Does it make a difference?  To others - I hope so.  To me?  It makes all the difference.

Love,
Vanci

13 comments:

  1. The question about anyone outside the family asking about your FOO behaving strangely or abusively really resonated with me. There was a TV show on in the 1960's called "The Munsters" - the family were all monsters and the only normal one was the adopted niece, and the family used to talk about how strange she was. My high school sweetheart used to say all the time that my family was like "The Munsters" and I was the only normal one. And yes, you guessed it, my family hated him. It took them (mostly NM) nearly 4 years to drive us apart and destroy our relationship. I was too young at the time to do anything about it (I was only 18 when he left me). NM is still gloating about it all these years later. She is in her 80's now and all the relatives think she is SOOOO wonderful. If they only knew that the shiny apple is completely rotten inside.

    Many years later, I am smarter and wiser, I went low contact with NM and most of my family more than 20 years ago. Most importantly, I have a wonderful husband who loves me. And NM knows if she ever tries to sabotage this relationship, I will cut her off completely without a look backwards. If she cuts me out of her will, so be it. (She has already done this to another family member, who doesn't know he's no longer in the will.)

    Thank you, Vanci, for being here.....you make a huge difference to a lot of us.....just for being there and speaking your truth.

    "The Lost Child"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanci, thank you for answering my question so thoughtfully and succinctly. Would it be alright if I responded to it in a post of my own? I'd like to do a sort of comparison/analysis of what you wrote.

    Hugs,

    Jonsi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lost Child - Thank you for your response and your story as well. It's totally like the Munsters! Just another piece of proof that we learn 'normal' pretty early in our lives. I'm so glad you found some peace!

    Jonsi - post away sweet one!

    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Vanci! Working on it now. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Vanci! I'm not sure that I learned 'normal' pretty early in my life, but I sure learned what was 'not normal' as soon as I got older and saw that other families treated their children much differently than what I experienced.

    Glad to finally have a community of other people who understand what we go through. Most 'real normal' people are either completely horrified at some of my stories or they don't believe me/think I am exaggerating.

    Love,
    The Lost Child

    ReplyDelete
  6. TLC - Sorry, sometimes my fingers fly faster than my brainwaves; I meant that we learn *their version* of normal early on. Then, later in life, we view their actions and think - WTF? Who puts a four year old in charge of any other child and then beats said four year old for having to go to the bathroom? How is that even an option?
    I think that most 'real normal' people simply can't process even the thought of the kinds of abuse that our Nparents routinely practiced. It can't be real and true to them, it must be an exaggeration because at the end of the day who wants to believe that we live in a world where this kind of treatment of children is even possible? I sometimes envy their ignorance!

    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  7. "we learn *their version* of normal early on. Then, later in life, we view their actions and think - WTF?"

    Exactly. And this the change that my NFOO cannot process or recognize - that I see things differently now, that I have my own opinion of what went on in the family and they can't bully me into switching back. I really think some of them believe they just have to bide their time and eventually I will come around, see the error of MY ways (oh, please) and beg THEIR forgiveness.

    This is such an excellent post, there is so much I could say about it! It all resonates.

    (pinkpearl)

    ReplyDelete
  8. (pinkpearl) -
    Thanks for your comment and your insight. That's exactly what they're looking for - me to give in (like I always did before.)

    I'm so glad I know now that I don't have to.

    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pinkpearl - "I really think some of them believe they just have to bide their time and eventually I will come around, see the error of MY ways (oh, please) and beg THEIR forgiveness."

    I'm certain my husband's family holds the same system of beliefs about him...that eventually, he'll give up and give in and allow himself to go back into the fold. They think that, like in the past, he'll sweep everything under the rug. He won't because he's learned that he doesn't have to, not for them, not for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Vanci, I'm not TLC, but I am (was) the 4-year-old beaten for having to pee while babysitting younger siblings. My parents beat the crap out of me in the lobby of a guest house, in 1969, and *not one single person* intervened. This is one way the scapegoat learns that their role is to caretake, and the penalties for not complying are very, very steep.

    I'm convinced people don't *want* to address the N-level in other families. A few years back, a casual friend invited my family to her holiday open house. While there, I saw a friend of hers (a woman I had never met) banish her 5-year-old to the dark, unheated back porch for the crime of not doing a better job of taking care of her toddler brother (who was running around shrieking and destroying things like a GC). I wasn't supposed to overhear this, but I did, and as the child of an NFOO, I understood instantly what was going on. I took the hostess aside and showed her the child shivering in the dark and was told quite emphatically to mind my own business.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Anon who is NOT TLC! Sorry to both of you - see above comment re: fingers/brain. :)

    I agree - there is a well versed social mandate that One Shall Not Interfere In A Parent's Decisions. It sucks. It's stupid. It's WRONG. And as children of NFOO's, when we work up the courage to make a stand on behalf of a child who is being abused right in front of us, to be told to mind our own business just hurts. I hope that the child heard you/saw you standing up for him/her. I know that, for me, with so much devaluation and invalidation being shown to me all the time, even one small comment from an interested/protective adult would have stayed with me for a long time.

    Stories like this convince me over and over again that it is imperative that we (as a society, as a world, as members of communities) MUST use our experience and voices to speak out. It's one of the main reasons that I started blogging. Can we change the abusers and the Narcs? Doubtful.
    Can we help other non-abusers/abused to understand better what they're seeing and therefore spur them to action? I don't know, but I believe with all my heart that it's worth a shot.

    So. So. So. So sorry you had to go through both of those awful abuses.

    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still not TLC, but flattered you made the comparison. :-) TLC is a wise, wonderful person.

    Vanci, you ask if we can change the abusers/Narcs. I honestly believe the only thing to do is to defuse them; that is, to take away their power. In order for that to work *everyone*, not just we ACoNs, have to stop believing them, stop buying into the crazy. We're seeing this right now with a celebrity would-be politician who seems to have squandered any good will with truly outrageous, NARC-y behavior.

    Thanks for your kind sympathy; I feel you had it much, much worse and am glad you're here to tell your story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally agree that 'everyone' must stop "buying into the crazy!" I believe, too, that this is the way to remove the Narc's power. I don't think we (ACoNs or non-ACons) can change the Narcs, but I do think that the way to expose them is to shine a very, very bright spotlight on their behavior so that even those who haven't been abused can see them for what they are.

    I'm so happy for your thoughtful comments!
    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete