Tuesday, August 9, 2011

So That's Why They're Called Wisdom Teeth

When I was nineteen years old, I was scheduled to have my wisdom teeth removed.  It had been necessary for some time as there had never been room in my mouth for the extra molars and they'd caused me discomfort.  It was bad timing, as I was about to marry - as it would happen, I was conceding to my family's wishes and marrying the man of whom they approved, rather than man whose child I'd just delivered into the world, but that's a longer story for another day.  The marriage precipitated the push for me to finally have the teeth taken out, though, as I wouldn't be eligible for my NM's dental insurance after they'd 'given me away.' 

So, I was sent to the family dentist and told that he'd only be taking two of the four teeth in the first appointment.  He was an old-school dental doc, which means that there was no gas or anesthesia beyond localized novacain.  My mouth was crowded enough that the teeth had barely erupted and had sideways-looking roots.  It was, to be concise, awful.  Half a day in the dental chair later, I had two gaping holes in the back right side of my gums, and was sent home with a scrip for painkillers that I couldn't use as I was nursing my oldest daughter at the time.

It was a horrible enough experience that I cancelled the appointment to have the left side teeth removed.  I got married and lost dental coverage, but I didn't care. No amount of love or money could have gotten my butt back into that dentist's chair of horror. 

A few weeks later, my newly minted spouse and I moved across the country and transplanted ourselves to the deep South.  I was sitting at the kitchen table looking forward to a nice big bite of the fresh tomato sandwich I'd anticipated enjoying while my baby girl napped.  I opened up my mouth wide and snap!  My jaw cracked hard on the right side and locked up with my mouth open.  I can't remember how badly I freaked out, but I know it hurt and it scared me.  My jaw has cracked like that ever since - every time I open my mouth wide enough to take a bite of a sandwich or apple, snap! 

I've adapted and learned over the years how to position my jaw just so to avoid the loud crack and how to keep my jaw from locking up.  I'm sure there's a way to get rid of the problem entirely, but I don't really notice it much most of the time so this particular issue in my life tends to be constantly shifted to the bottom of the priority list.

The only time it truly hurts, though, is after I've spent a fair amount of time in the dental chair.  Repeatedly opening wide causes some discomfort, mostly after I've departed the dental office and been home for a while.  I think it stresses out my delicate jaw and I clamp down as a defense afterward. 

My dentist, whose office I've been loyal to for many years, recently sold his practice to a young dentist who moved into our area to assume the business.  This meant that a couple of the dental assistants left and were replaced.  Dr. New Guy and the DA's weren't familiar with my jaw, so witnessing their reactions over the last few visits has been amusing.  Every time I open my mouth and that snap! happens, they flinch and squirm in their chairs.  "Doesn't that hurt?" they ask every time.  As I'm usually sitting there with my jaw cracked open awaiting the pokes and prods, I generally just shake my head in a silent 'no.'

The last time I was in, though, and we went through the 'does it hurt?' routine, Dr. New Guy, who is pretty young and outspoken for a dentist, lowered his mask and replied in all sincerety, "Well, it should hurt!"

Huh.

He's right, you know, it should.  And if I'm honest in the truest sense of the word, well, it does hurt.  As much as pounding a nail through my hand?  No.  As much as being raped?  No.  As much as... well, the list could increase exponentially and I'd still be able to say that, no, cracking my jaw doesn't hurt as much as a lot of things that have happened to me.  But... it should, and it would without the intense conditioning against expressing any type of pain that I received as a small child. 

My ability to bear pain was one of the prime character traits that I possess that made me such a well-suited scapegoat in my FOO.  I was, from the start, the strongest of all the members in the sense of the load I was able to carry. 

I remember NM and EF bragging to other adults that 'poor Vanci had ear infections constantly for the first two years of her life, but she was always such a love and she hardly ever cried.'  It's taken me a couple of decades to process that and other statements, and some of my breakthrough on it is directly related to the dentist's chair and my damned popping jaw. 

In a nutshell; it should fucking hurt, and I should be able to fucking cry when it does. 

Maybe next time I go to the dentist and they ask the question, I'll bob my head the other direction and ask what can be done to fix the problem once and for all. 

Love,
Vanci

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder) which I and my mother have.

    My jaw has also locked, but in the closed position...usually if I've leaned on it the wrong way. It's very scary and quite uncomfortable.

    My jaw pops all the time, so loudly that, as with your jaw, people can hear it when they are next to me. I also have fears about being at the dentist (and I haven't been in years!!) because I'm afraid that having my mouth open wide for too long will cause it to get stuck open. I don't know that there are any treatments for it, save surgery, and I don't know how effective it is.

    TMJ is quite common, from what I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG OMG omg. I've been reading your earlier posts and cannot believe how much I relate to your story, from being an alcoholic in recovery, 2 siblings (YS & YB), Christmas with flimsy, hurtful gifts, and more. I don't think that my father ever molested me (and I know that is an odd statement, but it is as close to true as I am able to wrap myself around. something certainly was inappropriate, but I don't recall any explicit incidences. However, when I tried to get my family to do family therapy, the only thing my father could spit out to the therapist was to say over and over that I was lying, but could or would not answer the therapist's question as to what my father thought I had been saying that was a lie.)

    But what smacked me in the face here is that I used to get ear infections all the time when I was little. Now, I suspect all the quietly crying myself to sleep every night was part of the culprit. But one day when I was around 5 or 6, I decided that crying was doing me no good, so I quit. For about 30 years.

    I still suck at crying or taking care of myself when I am in pain (heck, noticing that I am in pain is a big hurdle), but I am better than I used to be.

    I'm glad I found your blog. It feels so much better to realize I am not alone and I wasn't making crap up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. vicariousrising,
    Well howdy and I'm glad you found my blog too. :)
    Welcome and welcome and welcome. You said, "...I am better than I used to be." I say, "I am so very glad!" Also, "YOU ARE NOT ALONE!"
    Thanks for reading and for commenting!
    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete