Monday, February 20, 2012

Don't Activate the Allergy

I've been attending more than my usual number of recovery meetings lately, for a lot of reasons - I've had some time, I've felt a need to be more present in for a couple of 'newcomers' and mostly because I know that I have an upcoming surgery (yes, my GD teeth again) that will require me to take some pain killers afterward.  This is scary for me.

My drug of choice was always alcohol - though really most addicts and alcoholics will tell you that at our core, our drug of choice actually boils down to one word: more.  I stayed away from illicit substances primarily because I was a legal type of gal.  Some part of my wet brain remained logical enough to keep me protected by staying on the right side of the law, but once the booze quit working for me, I've no doubt that if I hadn't found recovery, I would have gravitated to scrips next.  It was easy for me to justify my drinking by telling myself that I wasn't actually doing anything wrong, you see?  So, before I'd have ventured out to buy smack, I'm pretty sure I would have just used my health insurance to find some doctor-endorsed legal junk.

I've written before about NM's journey into drug-addled madness and the wreckage she created, and there are two good things that came out of the climax of that nightmare from me.  First, I removed myself from the Crazymaker Clan for the first time with real commitment.  Second, seeing that drug-fueled drama play out made me have to look within and spurred me on the road to my own recovery.

I believe that alcoholism and addiction are two-fold sicknesses, diseases if you will.  The first part is the physical reaction that an addict or alkie has when a substance is introduced to our systems; give me a mouthful of beer and my brain, stomach, nervous system, skin and mind all scream... MORE!  Seriously, I was two years sober when I had an epiphany while talking to a 'normie,' that went like this:
"So, let me get this straight," I said, "you can go to a bar, order a beer, focus on a conversation and have something to eat and when you finish your beer, you're just... satisfied?  You don't need to have another beer?  Really?"  I was mystified, cause let me tell you boys and girls, that's just not how it's ever worked for me.  Toward the end of my drinking when someone asked me how much I drank, I honestly answered - playing it off like it was a joke even though it wasn't - "All of it."  Once I started, all bets were off, and to this day I believe that the only drink I truly have a choice about is the first one.

The second part of the addiction involves an obsession of the mind.  At some point my entire life became about the booze.  If I didn't have a drink in my hand, I was planning for the earliest available opportunity when I would have a drink in my hand or I was getting over the last drink I had in my hand; normies call these moments hangovers, I called them mornings.  Toward the end I woke up every day either in physical withdrawal or with the thought of, "When can I have a drink?"  (And here's a funny sidebar glance into the mind of an alcoholic; there's an AA pamphlet called "44 Questions."  The idea of this pamphlet is that you ask yourself these 44 questions and answer yes or no and if you answer yes to more than X number, you might want to consider that you have a drinking problem.  The questions are things like, "Have you ever left work early in order to start drinking?" or "Do you ever intend to have only one drink but find you can't stop yourself after one?"  When I read this on my last day of drinking, I answered yes to all but one question; "Do you ever drink in the morning?"  To this I could honestly answer no - kids to school and all that, ya know?  I seriously got to the end of the pamphlet and looked at my answers and thought, "Well, I don't know if I'm really an alcoholic, I mean, I don't drink in the morning!"  Wowsers.)

I don't want to activate the allergy by introducing something into my system that's going to trigger either my physical compulsion to drink or my mental obsession to drink.

So, to sum up; I'm fucking terrified of pills.  That way thar be monsters, matey.

But, an interesting thing about true healing and recovery has been brought to light by this necessary but scary situation.  I was out of the doctor's office for all of thirty minutes and hadn't even truly recognized that I was terrified when I had already set a plan in place.  Before I could even acknowledge the depth of my fear, I'd talked to the doctor about my addiction - being very clear that I expect to receive exactly the bare minimum of absolutely necessary drugs in my post-op prescription, and I'd called two other recovering alkies and my husband to let them know what was going to happen, when it was going to happen and to ask them to help me monitor and stay accountable to my program and my sobriety.

I have a plan in place to stay safe and to make sure that nothing falls through the cracks, that I have support and that I am keeping honest and well internally and externally.  Before fear took hold, I'd reached out and taken action to prevent it.  Right action, it seems, is the antidote to fear.

Huh.  Who'd have thunk it?
I learned all of this in recovery from alcoholism, but I think it applies to separation from NFOOs that contain Narcs and Abusers as well.  If I have a plan in place and I am willing to follow it through, if I am vigilant about my boundaries and my need for respect, if I already know how I will refuse to be mistreated and I have a course of action laid out to ensure it, I can stay safe.

Relief of pain is necessary in order to facilitate healing.  Safety is necessary in order to facilitate healing.  A plan to allow no more pain from my NFOO and to keep myself safe from them is the best thing that I can possibly do for myself.

ACoNs and grown abused children all suffer from some form of hyper-vigilance, I think.  We weren't protected, so we develop an overly enlarged need to protect ourselves (at least once we wake up.)  Hyper-vigilance can be draining and if we live in a constant state of this ultra-sensitive anticipation of events, we can get sick.  Too much planning for the worst can put us in a position where we only expect that the worst will happen.

But, for me, when it comes to the NFOO, I put them in the same category as I do those pills.  I will conscientiously work to keep them completely out of my life, and in the event that I do have to cross paths with them for some reason beyond my control, I'll be ready with an exit plan and a support group to meet me at the door.

Love,
Vanci

12 comments:

  1. My support group taught me to plan ahead for encounters with my NFOO by making a script which got to be pretty damn easy. Once you recognize what you're dealing with, their behaviours are predictable and repetitious. I went LC, walked on eggshells, kept the visits short and mostly in public places.

    In short, I controlled the encounters. In the end, it was the perfect "script" for disaster! My NF quietly simmered, boiled then blew leaving me with only one option, NC.

    The group also taught me to plan ahead regarding my alcoholism. Thankfully, the strategy has been a lot more successful with regard to booze!

    Sounds like you have a good support system in place for your surgery. It's great to know you're not alone. Hope everything goes well.

    Hugs, mulderfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mulderfan,
      Yeah, unfortunately a lot of the scripts available for dealing with dysfunction are presupposed on the idea that the other side is at least somewhat logical, as we know Narcs aren't!
      Thanks for your support.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  2. Good on you, Vanci. "Failure to plan is planning to fail" etc. and your's sounds reasonable, healthy and above all, workable. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery, TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TW,
      Thank you for reminding me that the workability of the plan is often the most important part!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your process to work through the problem, from beginning to end. It's helpful to see it laid out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,
      Thanks for reading and I'm glad it helps!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  4. Dear Vanci,
    Triggers are like thoughts. We can't control them, but they don't define us and we don't need to act on them. You have created a plan. You have activated this plan in advance. I am in no way minimizing this trigger AND I am sure you have faced potent triggers before. There is a theory in health behavior which states that one of the most important indicators of success in preventative health is self-mastery. The more we have succeeded, the more successful we become. I have no doubt you will kick this in the ass.
    Get your superhero cape out of the closet,
    Tried and true

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried and true,
      Thanks for your support and for the reminder that anticipatory action is part of the 'self-mastery' that will help to keep me well and sane. (And sober!)
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  5. Thanks Vanci, I appreciate how you broke down each part of your plan. My grandmother was a legal drug addict and scared me straight. I avoid pills when possible. I recognize their need for certain ailments but for the most part I avoid them. I hadn't considered some of the less obvious forms of addiction. I will take your post into careful consideration for the next few weeks to see what I am doing and what healthy choices I can make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth,
      Yeah, that whole 'legal addict' thing is a blurry line sometimes, isn't it? Scary is right!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  6. Hear! Hear!

    As an alcoholic in recovery & ACoN, I related to so much here. I found that when I was faced with surgery & worry about pain pill addiction, being upfront with the doctors really helped. Transparency has been a good way to keep me straight. I always say I am not embarrassed about being an alcoholic -- it's being a drunk that's embarrassing. So long as I am vigilant and keep my story in clear, sober eyes, I am on a better path. It's sort of the same when I think about the hidden shame of being the family scapegoat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vicariousrising,
      Thanks for your support; it's good to know that other recovering alkies have been down the same path and to hear what works. I wasn't sure if the parallel between the way I recoil from the pills and the way I recoil from the Narcs was entirely clear in my post, but they are so, so, similar. At least the way I deal is similar, with a general NO Thank you! :)
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete