Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Five Years

It's been five years this month since the beginning of what I think of as Vanci's Last Stand against the NFOO.  I'd been orchestrating small rebellions against my designations and roles as caretaker, problem solver, black sheep, whipping girl and scapegoat for some time - mostly subconsciously at that point - but I hadn't really drawn any clear boundaries.  I capitulated a lot; I'd sort of draw a fluffy, wide, gray line and then give up when the clan members stepped on it, often immediately.

Five years ago this month, though, a concretely wrong situation took place and it became clear that my DD's were in danger.  NM's addiction to narcotics wasn't anything new, but her refusal to seek help (and ability to Houdini her way into more and more precarious situations with the mind-altering substances,) really reached a boiling point then.  Amazingly, even while actively drinking alcoholically, I was the single member of the NFOO who threw up a red flag and said, "Hey, we aren't prepared to deal with this, we have to seek professional help."  I'm giggling a little as a type this from my cozy and clear present day perspective, not because I find her addictions or the NFOO's insane reaction to it amusing, but because it's just so damn ludicrous.

I did what I was trained to do; I took care of things.  This was NM's second - that we know of - overdose binge in six months.  When I got the call that NM had taken 128 hydrocodone in 48 hours (which was roughly eight times the amount her quack pusher doctor had over-prescribed) while under 'constant' surveillance from the other four adults in the NFOO who all lived with her in the same house and were supposed to be monitoring her locked up drugs, it's just so damned funny that I didn't even stop to question that this was my problem to deal with.  Talk about brainwashed!

What's even more insane is that I made the only suggestion that had with it any possible hope of resolution; we need help here people.  And that the NFOO's reaction to that was a resounding NO.  At that point I wasn't even pushing for rehab or addiction counseling;  I would have settled for even a second opinion from a different doctor as a means to satiate my desire for things to change, probably regardless of that second opinion doctor's suggestion.  I was looking for anything to change, just anything.  And the NFOO unanimously agreed that my suggestion to seek help was wrong, and that 'they' (read: Vanci) would just keep on doing what we'd been doing while expecting a different result.

Even in my alcohol-soaked and brainwashed state, this incident made it clear to me that the only route for change that was open to me was to change myself.  I initially made a pretty weak move - so easy to see that in retrospect, but at the time it was the hardest thing I'd ever done - and simply stated (with DH) that if the NFOO's choice to deal with addiction was NOT to deal with it, my DD's would only be around them under my or DH's supervision.  And if that wasn't the shot heard round the world, I don't know what was.  I changed one thing; free access to my tender daughters due to rampant drug abuse.  In a normal and sane framework, it's clearly the right thing to do.  It's the only thing to do.  As my dear friend and brother-in-law said at the time, so simply and elegantly, "Vanci, addiction trumps EVERYTHING."  But not in crazy Narcland, oh no!

I had no right to change the rules of the game, in their opinions.  They hauled out every single piece of artillery and ammunition at their disposal and did their best to lay waste to me and my newly discovered strength.  The downward spiral of the end of my 'relationship' with NM, ENF, NOSis and GCYB was steep and swift, and that was the incident at the top of the slide.
I wish I could say that I took that initial stand of separation for my own benefit, but it wasn't the case.  At the time I truly didn't value myself enough to stand up for me, but at the very least I could stand up for the DDs, with DH's help.  And that, as they say, was the first step to freedom.

It got rough, and then it got rougher and then the entire flaming bag of dog poo that was my relationship with the NFOO just exploded all over the place.  And there I stood, covered in shit.

It took awhile to realize that I wasn't standing alone.  It took longer to reach out to those people who stood with me and longer still to trust them with my heart and hopes and my worth.  It took almost a year and a half after that incident five years ago for me to even realize that I had a bit of a teensy problem with addiction too, "Got the gene!" as DH used to say.  And once I wrung myself out, it took a lot of work and a lot of time to realize that this single incident five years ago was a catalyst for my expulsion from the NFOO, but it wasn't the reason in and of itself.  The abuse had been there... forever. My desire and ability to see it and understand it was a long time coming.

I'm thinking tonight, though, about that small crowd of supportive people who reached out to me, loved me and helped me walk through the darkest times.  There weren't many in number, but they were real and honest and caring and they kept me going.  Five years later, most of those people are still in my life; they're my tribe, my friends, my family of choice.  They love me for me and I love them for them.
I've changed in myriad ways for the better; stronger, sober, happier, more truthful, more real, funnier, clearer, and those wonderful people in my life have held my hand the whole way.  At times those people have dragged me kicking and screaming back onto the path and at times they've run to catch up with me, but they are a constant in my recovery and instrumental to my healing.

The NFOO remains almost exactly as they were five years ago with the sole exception that they can only blame me for their misery from afar.  My absence has created a far bigger hole in their lives than theirs has in mine, I'm certain of it.

Five years.  Five long years of digging and scraping and remembering and moving forward and helping and learning and healing and rejoicing and building and loving.

All these things, these feelings, this growth - all are only possible for me because I've been able to keep myself safe from the Crazymaker Clan for five years.

Hip hip hooray for five years of freedom!
Love,
Vanci

12 comments:

  1. Wow. Your family is like a tsunami tidal wave of pure fucked up crazyness. 128 hydrocodone actually had me hide my eyes. That is not just crazy, that is monster-sized looming up tidal wave crazy. That you came out of that, that you're sane, not just for the five years after, but that you've been sane through that entire thing, what you were up against, that's just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lisa,
      This made me smile and laugh so hard; "tsunami tidal wave of pure fucked up crazyness." On the nosey, my dear. I'm continually amazed that I'm sane, too!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  2. In retrospect I think my fear of DD and I being all alone to fend for ourselves gave my NPs "permission" to escalate after my DH died. At least, in the latter part of my married life I had SOME boundaries in place and had begun to protect my DD more effectively, then all hell broke loose!

    The escalation triggered my boozing to an almost fatal level before I did a mental "hold the phone", got sober and finally went with very limited contact. I believe LC was what set up the chain of events for the final shit storm.

    Narcissists and their hangers-on hate change even when it's in their own best interest. Your story is a classic case of this, with the added sin of potentially shattering the family facade.

    I spoke at an AA meeting last night in which I said, "These people were f**cked up before I was even born. I can't fix them and even if I could, it's not my responsibility. My family was a train wreck waiting to happen and me lying on the tracks wasn't going to stop it. The relationship was destined to derail, it was just a matter of time."

    What an awesome feeling it is to be free! You and I not only got up off the tracks, we turned and walked away with barely a backward glance.

    Lisa's right, your family is like a tsunami. Congratulations on making it to higher ground Vanci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mulderfan,
      Laying on the tracks indeed, I so know that feeling. They do hate change, don't they; they're stagnant to the core. So, so glad to be away from them and their 'crazy train.'
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  3. I instantly thought of Dr. Susan Forward's book Toxic Parents, where she says that the healthiest person in an abuse family is the one being abused because they are the one most likely to seek help.

    Mulderfan's example of the train is apt.

    Congratulations, Vanci! On five years of learning to be healthier!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,
      Thank you for mentioning that book, I think I read it in the first year of NC but I was still 'out there' with my drinking and couldn't remember what the title was. I'll be picking it up again thanks to your comment.
      Thank you for the affirmation and I'm so glad to be healthier!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  4. Another wonderful and useful post. Vanci, are you me?!?! When I read about your life, it's what I would like to write but can't express as beautifully as you can, particularly this part:

    "I'd been orchestrating small rebellions against my designations and roles as caretaker, problem solver, black sheep, whipping girl and scapegoat for some time - mostly subconsciously at that point - but I hadn't really drawn any clear boundaries. I capitulated a lot; I'd sort of draw a fluffy, wide, gray line and then give up when the clan members stepped on it, often immediately. "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      Are you me or am I you or all we all just one? :) Question for the ages, I suppose. It's amazing how similar some of our stories can be! Thank you for reading and commenting.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  5. Yeah for freedom! Whenever I have a sad moment, grieving the fact that my NPs might as well be dead, I remember my hard won freedom. And peace. I no longer have to justify my very existance to my NM.

    Congrats!

    E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E.
      And I second that with another Yeah! Me too; peace and freedom vs chaos and terror? Yeah, um, I think I'll go ahead and take what's behind door number one. :)
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on five years of hard work. You make an amazing difference. I appreciate your courage in sharing your story and recognize the path you are taking. I am glad I am getting to know you now through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Ruth, for the congrats and for reading. I'm glad I'm getting to know you too.
    :)
    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete