Thursday, October 27, 2011

On Sisters

When I was a little girl, I was sometimes made to be part of a 'show.'  Mostly the NParents coordinated this as part of a church function, where we would all play a part in the Easter Sunrise Service or the Christmas Eve Celebration, and typically the performance centered around music.

NM played the piano,  ENF had a booming bass voice, I led melodies in my soprano, NOSis was the harmonic alto and GCYB sang high tenor (and later in life low tenor.)  We all had musical ears and I'm sure we presented as a regular Von Trapp family at times.  ENF tended to pastor small, rural churches, so we were often THE entertainment.  I have some memories of this being fun, even.

NOSis and I both loved to sing and our voices blended well together.  Due in part to the structured isolation that the NParents kept us in, we often choreographed our own 'numbers' in the living room together, and I remember more than one occasion where we were asked to share our routines.  The one that's coming to mind right now was a little dance we did as we sang the number 'Sisters' from an old black and white movie with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye, White Christmas.


"Sisters, sisters, there were never such devoted sisters.
Never had to have a chaperone, no sir
I'm here to keep my eye on her.
Caring, Sharing,
Every little thing that we are wearing...
... All kinds of weather, we stick together
Same in the rain or sun
Two different faces but in tight places,
We think and we act as one!"

It goes on in that vein for some time and I've probably flubbed some of the lines, but that's how I remember it.   I also remember that there was safety in my relationship with my sister.  She's four years older than me, and was far more of a strong female role model at times than my mother was, for sure.  She was one of my best friends, especially as we moved so often that she was typically my only female play mate and the only other girl I knew.  We picked at each other and fought a lot - something that I'm convinced happens in the majority of sisterly relationships, no matter how healthy - but we loved each other.  We did our best to protect each other.  That's how I saw it then, and I believe there's still some truth to that even now as I view it with clear eyes in retrospect.

I don't spend a lot of time trying to figure out what the recipe for a Narcissist is.  Like all personality disorders, mental illnesses and diseases and addictions, there seems to be an ongoing nature vs. nurture argument to varying degrees about root causes.  I tend to believe that there have to be genetic predispositions to certain leanings combined with two other key factors: trauma of some sort and a choice not to fight the leaning toward narcissism (or sadism, or myriad other -isms.)  Either way, like I said, I don't spend a lot of time on it because I'm such a Practical Polly.  It is what it is and I can't change it.  So I spend my energy on me and I move forward.

But, when I think about my sister and the memories I have, it's hard not to wonder how she and I turned out so differently.  That caring, protective sister that I remember from the days of choreographed step-ball-changes is dead or buried so deep that she's never coming out.
Because my sister today, man, she's a raving bitch on toast.

It seems to me that our relationship changed significantly when I was thirteen and revealed in counseling that ENF had sexually abused me.  I didn't know that he'd abused her too, I really didn't.  But my revelations prompted him to admit to abusing both of us.  The metaphorical shit hit the fan in more ways than one over this, but one of the most painful things to me - then and now - was the way in which it changed my relationship with my sister.  I distinctly remember feeling two things when I realized that my sister had been abused too: horror at the thought that she'd felt as awful and violated as I did and relief at the thought that I wasn't alone in this.
But I was, because, although ONSis admitted to the abuse, she became scarily, irrationally angry with ME for revealing it.  I was, she said, trying to ruin her life and everyone else's life because... I was mad that I had to do the dishes.  She physically assaulted me a couple of times, but mostly she just ignored my very existence after that.  I'd once embroidered her a little throw pillow with the message on the front: Time passes and we may part, but sisters will always stay close at heart.  After I brought the sexual abuse to light in our family, she seemed to hate me.  I was devastated by this sudden coldness and hatred from her, but I was only thirteen and was dealing with similar punishments and ostracizations from my parents and little brother, too.  I don't know that I fully understood how to process anything on my planet at that time; I was shell shocked.

There were a lot of intervening years with some pretty far swings in our relationship with each other, sometimes closer than others, but when I made my stand in September of 2007, ONSis really flexed her muscle as the Enforcer in the NFOO.  She was the first to attack and she attacked viciously.  I'd known for some time that she wasn't right - lots of rages and seriously low lows - but I had no idea up to that point that she was so far gone.

And now, she's the leader of the NFOO in a lot of ways, from what I can tell.  She didn't fall into the Lead Narc role, she sought it out, picked it up, put it on and fucking OWNS it.  I guess we all have our different ways of dealing with trauma.

So, I look around me now and I assess - my sister is effectively dead to me, or I to her, doesn't really matter which way that swings as the end result's the same.

But...
I have other sisters.  I have my dear, dear girlfriends who've loved me from near and far throughout the last four years.  I have my AA ladies, who look me in the eye and tell me the truth, even when it stings.  And I have you: the Grizzly Fighters, the Angry Daughters, the Upsi Dancers, Jonsi on the Outside Looking In, the mulderfans and the Ruths and Judys and Lisas the Pollywantanarcissist and the Rings Swinging Forward and the veganstein, Pronoia Agape, and all the Anons and anyone else I can't think of right now and bringing up the manly rear as an honorary sister is LSV.

What's a sister?  Just a girl who understands that sometimes you need to know that it's okay that you're in there underneath your skin even if it feels too tight sometimes.  A friend who knows that you need a hug or you need to hear that you're beautiful.  Just a lady who says, "Hey, Vanci, I believe in YOU."

I lost a sister along the way, and that hurts.
But just look at that incomplete list up there:  my loss of one is a gain of MANY.
I'm so grateful for all of you.

Love,
Vanci

14 comments:

  1. Somehow I can accept the NPs and say, "It is what it is." but the loss of the siblings along the way hurts like a bitch. I share your experience of having a sibling turn out to be the new "puppet master" who controls the drama.

    When my YBGC revealed himself in all of his narcissistic, psychotic glory I was devastated and still am if I allow my mind to go there.

    The validation and support from these blogs is empowering beyond belief and, for me, finding a fellow AA has just been icing on the cake!

    My laughter made the cats jump when I read "bitch on toast"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanci, I too lost a sister and your post hits close to my heart. I mourn the sister I will never have. But like you, I have been given women who fit the bill and then some. I am blessed. With my loss came gain.

    Bitch on toast made me laugh also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both had a choice to make, really you had the same options. She took one road and you took another. That must be very hard for you, especially because the relationship you describe between the two of you was close and protective once upon a time.

    She chose not to accept that her family is severely dysfunctional. She chose to play the same games, even though they will destroy her.

    You, Vanci, have chosen a much different and healthier path. I wish for you that your sister could have chosen differently, but she didn't. And the only thing you can do is keep moving, keep getting stronger. You can't allow her dysfunctions to bring you down, and it doesn't seem that you are doing that at all. You don't have an easy lot in life, but considering where you've come from, I'd say you're doing pretty damn well.

    Hey Vanci, I believe in YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mulderfan - I feel you, it does hurt more to lose the siblings, even after they've proven that they've become just as mean as the Nparents were. You said: "The validation and support from these blogs is empowering beyond belief and, for me, finding a fellow AA has just been icing on the cake!" Amen to that! It's so nice to know we're not alone. :)
    Love, Vanci

    christa - It just bites, doesn't it? You said: "I mourn the sister I will never have." That reminds me that really, mourning is all that we can do. I can't change her choices or her actions. Thanks for sharing this journey.
    Love, Vanci

    Jonsi - You always see to the truth of things: "She chose not to accept that her family is severely dysfunctional. She chose to play the same games, even though they will destroy her." She chose poorly. I didn't. I'm not dancing around celebrating that because it pains me to know that we'll never have a close relationship again, but it helps me to remember that this joy and freedom that I've battled for was an option for her too. She just chose not to take it. Thank you for believing in me. I believe in you too! :)
    Love, Vanci

    Pronoia Agape - Hey, lady, I also believe in you. :)
    Love, Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, the part about the caring loving sister being dead and buried gave me chills. i think it's true. the part about her attacking and attacking first...like an attack dog.
    I don't have any siblings, but i DO think there are difficulties that pop up when thinking about it. you really can't help but wonder and feel a little bit of guilt. but i think in the end..it's because you are you. and apparently, you know best for yourself and for your life. everybody else be damned. who knows why people do what they do? there have been bad people and bad actions in generations before, generations after us, and all around us. it doesn't matter why or what they do. it matters what you do and what you do is based on your experience. and if you can see that what happened before was bad, you can and will do something new and something better. and that IS how the cycle gets broken.

    so yes, onwards and upwards! thanks for being you and including me! you are very strong. i've never had any sisters or really friends for that matter, but now i have friends in all of you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your writing always resonates with me. I love it and relate wholeheartedly.

    My life experience is somewhat different, but I loves a sister, which for me, hard and painful, came first, and the realization of the remaining NF, and EM who got uglier and meaner to me after I set boundaries with NOlderS came later, and seemed more devastating....maybe because it was the "last of a small FOO...just one sibling.

    I do have some lovely women who love me, (also sober in AA), and that has made all of the difference.

    Yes, it perplexes me how I came away with a heart a all...the biggest thing i notice in my FOO is the lack of compassion and intuitive caring (true caring) not for the image, that these people have.

    Oh, and this line, "Because my sister today, man, she's a raving bitch on toast." , made me smile....my sister is more of a underground raver....she's sending electrical jolts to kick my ass that no one else can see.

    warmth and appreciation for you :)

    j :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. *that was *lost a sister ....never pays not to proof read.

    j:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the way I look at lost relationships: the relationship I'm mourning is the old one, not the one that is currently on offer. The one currently on offer, I do not want. I remind myself that I'm thinking of a past person, not the present person.

    Also, a couple of ideas about your sibling after reading this:

    "And now, she's the leader of the NFOO in a lot of ways, from what I can tell. She didn't fall into the Lead Narc role, she sought it out, picked it up, put it on and fucking OWNS it. I guess we all have our different ways of dealing with trauma."

    I'm NOT excusing your sister, but this is how I interpret it: one, she was the oldest, right? Oldest siblings usually invest more in the family structure and rules, and obey authority (the parents) much more than younger siblings.

    I'm not saying your ability to not turn into an N was entirely because of birth order, but I'm thinking maybe this was one of many contributing factors.

    Another thought: when one adopts the Narc family dynamic, one sees things in black and white and decides, at some point, to be the bully, not the victim. This may have been the case with your sibling: she saw two dynamics and picked the one that seemed most - what? Powerful? Less subject to abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa - thanks for being a sister, and for the reminder that, at the end of the day, this IS about breaking the dysfunctional family cycle.

    J - thanks for reading and for the nice compliment on my writing. I'm amazed to discover how many people there are out there with similar experiences and stories. Thank you for your comment; it reminded me of the depth of action my NOSis took in the vortex of the family 'break-up' and has given me an idea for a more in depth post about her actions.

    PWC - As always, you hit the metaphorical nail on its metaphorical head. I think that bullies are often people who were put in powerless situations and choose to emulate the actions of the ones who made them powerless rather than to seek understanding or a better/saner path. Less subject to abuse, yes, because the best defense is a good offense, maybe.

    Much love to you all,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Vanci, I feel honored to be mentioned in your post as someone who has helped. My story is the opposite. My sister had been angry with me for years for acting as if nothing happened. Then I went to counseling and she found out how completely I had wiped out my own memories. She became my greatest ally in restoring my health but she was sure frustrated with me until I was in counseling and willing to be open to change. I am not saying your sister will suddenly change. I am just saying that sometimes the layers of weirdness on top of abuse are hard to cut through. I am glad you are finding your way to a healthier way of living.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth,
    I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond; you are an inspiration and I'm honored to be part of a community that contains you. :)
    My sister, unfortunately, chose assimilation while I chose to exit the scene. I was sympathetic to her as I knew what hell she'd lived through well. When she began to use that sympathy against me (as a narcy tactic,) I had to cut her off. I've no hope that she'll change her ways, though I dream of freedom for her in private.
    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ack! And my sister and I did a dance routine to that Sisters song too!

    Although, I am the older sister. I hope she doesn't think I am a raving bitch, although she probably does because she lives near my mother who makes up lies about me. She actually tells people that I said nasty things about them that I never said, implied or even secretly felt.

    One difference between our families is that my mother flat out refuses to speak to therapists or counselors, even if the purpose of the meeting is to discuss me. That's what happened when I was in rehab. The staff has every patient and their family meet to talk about alcoholism and how to support the alcoholic. When they called my mother, she declined to come because it would be "awkward." The other times when I begged for family therapy, she refused because she "did nothing wrong." Also, both my parents were convinced I would get better talking to them about my problems and not some stranger who would "tell me things." I realize that they were trying to get me back under their control, but I honestly think my father convinced himself that my problems were due to my husband somehow abusing me. I made the grave mistake of mentioning in passing to them ONE TIME that I was angry at my husband for yelling too severely at our then toddler son. For several years, they did a wink-wink, nudge-nudge about how my husband was too hard on our child with an implication that he was, well, evil. Stupid of me, I know. I think they were licking their chops in the hopes for an ugly divorce so they could sling mud. They got their wish, but with my sister, her 2 kids and her ex. I think the debacle has been going on for 10 years now. Makes the movie War of the Roses look like an exercise in respectful manners.

    ReplyDelete
  13. vicariousrising,

    So, let me get this straight...
    Your husband isn't perfect and yelled at your toddler. You didn't like it and as an adult needed to share that with someone. You shared a single incident from your private life with people you're supposed to be able to trust, and they used that single incident for YEARS to vilify your life partner in hopes of splitting you up.

    Dear, that doesn't make you stupid. That makes you human, and technically it makes THEM EVIL. Not you, not your husband. THEM. Evil.

    IMO, of course. :)
    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete