Tuesday, October 25, 2011

1 + 1 = All or Nothing

I've been spending some time pondering the core of my dysfunctional FOO.  It's not an unfamiliar path; much of my pondering in the last four years have leaned in this direction, for sure.

But I've been thinking about the framework, rather than the finished product.  I often refer to the beginning of the Vanci Rebellion of '07 as my 'waking up.'  It's an apt metaphor and that's almost exactly what it felt like; opening my eyes, beginning to see, illuminating minor details, checking back in to reality and so forth.  Like I feel immediately after I've been snatched from slumber, I felt confounded, befuddled, foggy.  It took awhile for my eyes to adjust to what I was seeing and my heart to accept what I was feeling and there was an awful lot to take in.  I was fortunate to have patient and loving support and to have the ability to seek help in understanding the strange new landscape that slowly came into focus.  I doubted everything in this new world, but I kept moving forward, hoping for clarity.

I was lucky enough to have patience with myself and to have others around me patiently rooting for me.  Eventually the mist cleared and I could see the reality (and the wreckage) that surrounded me, and I discovered that - ugly as it was - it was the truth.  And that's when I knew.  Possibly for the first time in my life, I knew that what I was seeing was real, concrete, tangible, honest.  I resolved to stay in truth.  After all, I decided, once a thing is known, to attempt to un-know it is both futile and dishonest.  So I kept moving forward, hoping for understanding.

The harder I worked to understand myself, the more effort I put into comprehending and changing MY behavior - whether that was declaring no contact or attempting to change my explanatory style or simply just parenting my DD's in a healthier manner than I was 'parented' - the more crystal-clear my insight into the tactics of the NFOO.  The stronger I grew, the more transparent they became.  As I've anticipated, observed, deflected and ultimately disarmed each attempt by various members of the NFOO to whip me back into the shape and role they believe I should occupy, their campaign against me has moved from terrifying to laughable.  I grew, even as they stayed pathetically stagnant.

So now I find myself in the luxurious position of NOT having to deal with their attacks on a daily basis, of not having the boogeyman waiting  for me around every corner.  As contact decreased, so did my symptoms of trauma.  So, instead of having to wait for the next phone call, email, drive-by or knock on the door, I can take a look at the actual mechanics of the dysfunctional system.

I'm not so interested anymore in understanding the 'why' of what they do.  I've reconciled their actions in my mind in the same way that I reconcile my drinking.  At the beginning of my sobriety, I asked why a lot: Why am I an alcoholic?  Why can't I drink like a normal person?  Why do I have to deal with this?  Why did I drink like that?  The simple answer that I was able to grasp and understand was:  I drank alcoholically because that's what alcoholics do.  It's oversimplified, I know, but it allowed me to let go of the pervasive WHY.  The Narcs act like evil assholes because they are evil assholes and that's what evil assholes do.  I accepted that, and the WHY became a non-question.  Really, the why doesn't matter to me anymore: I know that I didn't cause it and I can't control it.  That's enough for me.

I am, however, intensely interested in understanding the HOW of the dysfunction, and I've been thinking about the way they system was established in the NFOO.  One of the primary methods of control lies in the communication chain of command, I think, and I'm finally to the meat of this post and the reason for its title.  I can't draw a picture in this simplistic blog format I've established and I'm not anywhere near technologically proficient enough to import or embed a picture, so we're going to have to take a trip to Imagination Land.  I'll do my best to lead the way.

Think of a five-pointed star. Remove the lines and leave the points.  Start at the top point, the pinnacle of the star.  You can now draw a line from that pinnacle point to any other point of the star.  Imagine that each of those points represents a person in a family.  You are the pinnacle point.  You can draw a line - and therefore have a relationship - with each of the other points, aka members of the family, can't you?  You don't have to go through the point farthest to the right to get to the point farthest to the left.  You have equal and equitable access to either or - gasp! - both of them at any given time.  This is the way that healthy communication works.  Every person in the family is allowed to have a direct line to every other person in the family.

There are four points in my FOC's star: me, DH, Oldest DD and Youngest DD.  I am allowed to have a relationship with DH that doesn't involve either DD.  Oldest DD is allowed to have a relationship with Youngest DD or DH that doesn't involve me.  We're not entirely independent of each other, of course, because we love each other and share a lot, but those individual relationships are key and paramount to the greater group relationship as a whole.  It's healthy, I think.  Oldest DD and I talk about school work a lot, but she prefers to talk to Youngest DD about clothes, and she prefers to talk to DH about serious stuff; friends experimenting with drugs and the like.  And that, I think, is awesome.  It's healthy to seek different strengths from different people in our lives.

So, back to the star.  Imagine those five points again, but this time let's add a narcissist to the mix.  And where, do you think, does a narcissist have to be?  In the drawing, as in life, the Narc's going to place themselves where they believe they should be; smack dab in the middle of things.  Now, from your pinnacle point, you  no longer have access to most of the other points of the star without going through the Narc.  Your ability to have a direct line to those other points has been compromised and an individual relationship is turned into a threesome.  The longer it goes on, the bigger the Narc in the Middle becomes, eventually precluding all connection between the other points of the star.  That's dysfunctional communication; ladies and gentleman you are no longer points on a star, you're just a reference in the Narc's overwhelming circle of influence.  The Narc has taken over and infiltrated all the members of the family, all the points on the star, and it's no longer possible to have a healthy individual relationship with any one else in the family because the Narc cannot abide autonomy happening right under their long nosey.

I remember this distinctly.  If I tried to talk to GCYB about the 'situation,' I was stabbed in the back by his running immediately to NM or ENF to report our conversation.  As recently as last April, when I called ENF in order to find out the logistics of DH and I visiting NM in the ICU as she lay dying (but not quite,) he allowed the phone to be taken away from him and NOSis got on the line to rant about how she thought I should behave. When I had my last meeting with NM at my counselor's office, she brought ENF with her into the room, even though both I and the counselor had made it clear that it was to be a 1 to 1 meeting.

And that, I think, is one of the core pieces of HOW the Narcs establish such foolproof systems of control.  They crave omniscience and demand overbearing loyalty at least partially through the limitations they place on individual communication between other family members.

To a Narc, one person in the family having a relationship with another person in the family independent of the Narc's presence (and therefore control) is intolerable.  I think this is part of the reason that they must destroy all familial relationships that don't involve them, such as the bond between siblings.

Either the Narc owns your relationships with others, or they will destroy that relationship before your very eyes.
So,  when it comes to my siblings (and every other person who was associated with me through my NFOO) I wasn't allowed to have relationships with them until I decided to go crawling back to NM.  I didn't and I won't, so they are not allowed to be in my lives at all thanks to NM's overbearing influence.

I can't say I'm pleased to have Nothing, but if the only other choice is All, well, I'm okay with Nothing.  I'm grateful that I don't have to repeat this dysfunctional pattern in my FOC.

And that's not nothing.


Love,
Vanci

12 comments:

  1. I see my alcoholism as a symptom not a disease. The disease stems from growing up in a dysfunctional family that did not allow members to deal with emotions in a healthy way. I lost my "rock" when my DH died and had nowhere to turn for support. Having no coping skills to handle the challenges of widowhood and the escalating demands/abuse from the NPs, I took the easy out and drank myself silly!

    When I recognized my NM's tactics, especially the gaslighting, I was like you and found the sudden transparency laughable.

    I like the star idea as it also puts the head narc in a position to turn siblings against one another. My GC younger brother has turned into a narc himself so he's perfectly happy to trash me at every opportunity too. My late older brother was a massive narc who controlled and abused his wife and daughters, as well.

    What I don't get from your star is how these narcs in one family all managed to function together. When I still lived at home I pretty well flew under their radar by being a compliant, slave-like non-entity. Everyone's doormat, very shy, seldom took a stand or made waves...no wonder they all hate me now!!

    The REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE is finally awake! I always had a pretty good relationship with my DD but now it's AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi mulderfan!
    I believe that the only way the narcs can function appropriately within radar of each other is to have a common goal; typically this takes the form of the scapegoat. They get along just fine as long as they have a common source of blame/enemy. It's one of the reasons that they reacted so violently when I removed myself as their common scapegoat. Eventually they found a way to keep me as the point of abuse without my presence (scapegoat in absentia,) and maybe that helps them to get along. I'm just glad I'm not there to witness it anymore!

    Thanks for reading.

    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, apparently all three of them trash me with each other and the GC passes along the trash to my cousin who has stayed in touch with him WAY past the "best before" date. Right now, I'm totally insane according to the dysfunctional threesome. Another laugh for me at their expense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanci,

    Random comment: I love your writing. Can I just say that? The lyricism and thought into your posts are just remarkable.

    Now, I'm all self-conscious about writing a comment. Soooo ... OK, I was going to say that this line really struck me:
    "The Narcs act like evil assholes because they are evil assholes and that's what evil assholes do. I accepted that, and the WHY became a non-question. Really, the why doesn't matter to me anymore: I know that I didn't cause it and I can't control it. That's enough for me."

    It's so matter of fact, stripped of emotion (as it should be) and focused on what is. I wouldn't expect an elephant to act like a hummingbird. So, why have I looked at the Ns in my life and imagined that they would act any differently from how an N acts?

    That is so some serious food for thought.

    I want to move more into that direction, but still get mired into the "why." The Vanci Rebellion, however, has lasted longer than the Kiki Revolution, which only kicked off in April 2011, so I have to be patient with that. But thanks for writing your missives for other soldiers.

    Also, your star completely made sense to me. Yes. That's how it was in our household, too. It seems like we all whispered about someone else, but Mother Gothel was the telephone through which we all called.

    And if I made the horrible mistake of talking to that person directly, that person would talk about our conversation to Mother Gothel who would add her own twists and turns to it and mess it all up. So, then, everyone defaulted to "Just ask Mom. She knows what's going on." Of course she knew. She had the script and she was not going to tolerate any improvising or rewrites.

    I can't remember at the moment if your siblings are Ns, too? (Sorry. Low hormones = forgetfulness during my period. LOL) Or just enmeshed with N?

    I'm glad that you chose nothing, Vanci, because in the end of it, choosing nothing meant something, a better life for you.

    Rawr!
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kiki!
    Thanks for your nice compliment on my writing. *She blushes with pride.* :)

    You asked, "So, why have I looked at the Ns in my life and imagined that they would act any differently from how an N acts?"

    I think we all ask this question, and I think that the answer is so earth-movingly simple that we fail to see it: We are kind and good people and therefore expect that other people are kind and good too, even when they prove differently. In fact, we're so kind and good that see other people being awful and our thought is - I must be wrong, maybe I just don't understand. We are, after all, conditioned from birth to doubt our own hearts. Understanding that I was expecting goodness from N's because I WAS good (even if they weren't) helped me to stop expecting anything from them and to focus on my own expectations for myself. I expect that I will keep myself safe; they don't fit in to that equation!

    Regarding my sibs, my OS (older sister) meets an awful lot of the reqs for membership in the Narc Club. She was mostly a GC when we were kids, but since the Vanci Rebellion she's taken hold of the Narc reins with authority.

    My YB (younger brother) was always and remains the primary GC - youngest, only boy, my NM's strange hangups on her relationships with men all contributed to this, I assume. I don't know that he's a card carrying member of the Narc Club or not. But, even if he isn't, he's fully supported all of the Narc abuses perpetrated by everyone else in the NFOO, and I am a big believer in guilt by inaction.

    Regarding letting go of the 'why,' please do be patient with yourself and remember that although 'why' might not be an answerable question, processing the 'why' is part of what will get you to the 'how' and the 'what' and eventually to the 'oh, fuck you I'm moving on.'

    I'm honored to be a part of the Kiki Revolution and send a hearty RAWR back atcha.

    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  6. so true, the five point star. narcissists hate when others have relationships without them. i distinctly remember being made to feel guilty whenever i even had a THOUGHT that didn't include my mum or dad. my mom was horrendously jealous and the whole universe circulated around her. so yes, very very true about the relationships and not being left alone to have actual relationships with other family members. sooo dysfunctional and so selfish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mulderfan,
    I missed your second comment above until just now. Your commnet reminds me of the fact that if they are choosing to get together and talk about me, well, that's a whole big chunk of time that they're not trying to talk WITH me. :)
    So, yay for me! I'm so glad you can laugh at it; there's freedom in laughing at monsters, isn't there?

    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for reading and for commenting. I had a sneaking suspicion that the communication barriers were a pretty classic narc tactic and not unique to my particular NFOO.
    So glad to know others have shared the same dynamics! It's nice to know we aren't alone.

    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow wow wow wow wow. LOVE this post. The star imagery is fantastic. Thanks for sharing this with us, Vanci. It was very clearly written, easy to understand, and contained TONS of vital information.

    I like your point about stopping the "whys" so that you can figure out the "hows." Makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jonsi,
    Thanks for reading and I'm so glad whenever my experience can be of use.

    I don't think anyone's ever given me five 'wows' in a row before. I'm honored. :)

    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I know that I didn't cause it and I can't control it." This line is awesome. Thank you for the a timely reminder. Your star examples clarifies the how the destruction in my family was completed. I actually witnessed my NM purposely encouraging division and discord among the siblings. Then they wonder why we go away, far far away. I am glad you a choosing something different with you FOC when you do have a say in what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ruth!
    I'm glad I'm choosing something different, and I think better, for my family than the strife that I was handed in my NFOO. It has been so freeing for me to realize that I can do different than what I was taught, and incredibly heartening to see that the end result of allowing everyone in my family to have their own relationships with each other is infinitely better for all of us.

    Thanks for reading!
    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete