Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Heartbreak and Freedom

In my Help a Sister Out post, KFL5 asked some pertinent and difficult questions, and you wonderful readers really stepped up to the plate to share your experience and hope with her.  Thank you, thank you, thank you. My finger's all healed now and I can type again, yay!, so I wanted to add a few of my minimal cents.

The question, "Anyone else deal with the heartbreaking feeling of abandonment when you are finally able to set some emotional boundaries?" was the one that really resonated with me; the one I keep going back to.

Oh, ouchie, I remember this feeling.  I had to dredge a bit to get back to it, combing through memories that feel like ancient history but are really just a few short years ago.  I want to start by saying that I don't feel this anymore.  Feeling abandoned required that I had ever felt like I belonged in the first place.  For some time, I DID feel this.  I'd always had the NFOO in my life and they did an excellent job of filling up my every waking moment with their demands and needs and convincing me that my worth was directly related to their happiness, so at first, absolutely, I was stranded on a metaphorical deserted island all by myself, or at least that's how it seemed.

Circumstances and force of will kept me in that lonely place, even when I was tempted to just give in and jump back into my previously allotted role within the fucked up painful system that was all I'd known as 'family.'  It felt, a lot of the time, like the wind was just whistling through the gaping hole in the middle of my soul.  Even the horrible something that we've known can be more comfortable to have than the emptiness of uncertainty.  I feared the void, but not quite enough to want to fill it back up with the awfulness that was the NFOO.  Almost, but not quite.

Still, I was shocked and wounded that these people who'd claimed to 'love' me could turn on me so easily, so quickly, so thoroughly.  Even worse, their abandonment was made worse in that it proved to me that the feeling I'd always had that I would be dropped like a hot rock if I didn't do exactly what they told me to do was fact.  I couldn't chalk up my insecurities to my own overactive imagination anymore (and after all they'd trained me so well to do so.)  Their abandonment of me made me realize what was true; they really didn't love me and I was just their scapegoat, object, pawn - not even a person, just something to be used at their convenience and to their ends.

The isolation that they imposed after my stand was nothing short of what they'd always threatened.  They refused to speak to me rationally, they refused to be civil, they made it a point to reach out to every single person that we knew mutually and rally as many of those people as they could against me.  Effectively, I said, "This is what I need to feel safe, this is the space that's acceptable to me, this is the way I'd like to communicate."
And they replied with attacks on my character, attacks on my mental health, attacks by proxy through my children, attacks on me behind my back and to my face and to anyone with half a minute and the ability to hear the attacks they manufactured against me.  Attack, attack, attack.  I asked for space and they launched the armada.

It was awful.  It was heartbreaking.

But, the last thing that I had in common with the NFOO was this: we both underestimated my strength of character.
I'm certain that they are still, five years later, baffled that I haven't come crawling back to them.  When I met with NM in my counselor's office in June, she let her expectations of my behavior slip out between the lines of her carefully crafted speech when she stated (talking about NSis) that "some people in our family are more willing to forgive than others."  She - and therefore they, let's not forget that the NFOO follows the whimsy of NM, always - can't understand a Vanci outside of her own framework.  In her mind, I am wrong and it's only a matter of time before I seek her absolution for my sins.  The twisted logic and warped mind behind that particular curtain is fucking mind boggling.  Incidentally, when I called her on this bullshit, the conversation went South FAST.

I underestimated myself, too.  In truth, it was their actions that pushed me further and further in my resolve to stop the abuse and break the cycle.  The crazier they got in their need to control me, attack me, win at all cost, the clearer I became in my boundaries.  Every time they crossed a line, I drew a firmer, bolder, tighter circle around myself and the FOC.  Bet they never saw that coming!  (And I didn't really either until I did it!)

So, that deserted and abandoned feeling abated in direct proportion to what became my choice to live a life apart from them.  It is, after all, impossible to feel abandoned by something that one's chosen to leave.  And the longer I stayed away, the more difficult it's become for me to see how the hell I ever stayed there in the first place.  There's truth to the saying, "Once known, a thing cannot be unknown."  Sometimes I think they're like a black hole; get too close to the vortex and it'll suck you in; try to get away and you'll discover that it takes an awful lot of power to get out of proximity.  The best plan once you've got a little distance is to lay on the warp drive and never look back.

And that's what I feel now.  Not abandonment, not heartbreak, not even sadness most of the time.  I feel... free.  I feel like I took a lot of bullets but somehow managed to dodge the widow maker that had my name on it.  I feel like a hungry shark swam into my legs and then got distracted by something in the opposite direction.  I feel like I missed the launch of the Titanic and got left on the dock with my ticket in hand.  I feel like I somehow, someway, got a pass and a chance at a whole new life, one that is only possible without the Crazymakers in it.

Cause this life I've lived without them?  It's so, so, so much better than it ever was with them.  I had to get some road behind me to see that, to feel that, to be able to embrace that, but it's the truth.  I had to go through those awful feelings of loneliness and heartbreak and abandonment to come out the other side with the innate, deep-seated knowledge that people who love me don't seek to make me feel those things.


And once I had that under my belt, it became easy to look around and see the large group of people that were by my side all along rooting for me and holding their arms out to me in genuine concern and care and love for me just the way I am.  Now that's freedom, baby.

I'll close with this:
It gets better.
It gets so much better.

Love,
Vanci

23 comments:

  1. Brilliant post. I felt the wind knocked out of me again when you wrote: "their abandonment was made worse in that it proved to me that the feeling I'd always had that I would be dropped like a hot rock if I didn't do exactly what they told me to do was fact."

    But even better, when you wrote: "we both underestimated my strength of character"

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vicariousrising,
      Thank you for reading and commeting and for the lovely compliment.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  2. "they replied with attacks on my character, attacks on my mental health"

    This part keeps me strong. Even though I have done more for them than my two brothers combined when I would no longer tolerate the verbal battering/emotional abuse, they turned on me in a heartbeat.

    Ns think they're so damn smart but, judging by these blogs, when they attack they invariably shoot THEMSELVES in the foot!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mulderfan,
      Thank you for sharing your strength here, too.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  3. When you asked for feedback, Vanci, I didn't feel like I could say anything, since I still associate with my Ns, though I have no memory of ever not feeling abandoned. I knew, from the time I was a small child, my place in the world was dependent on the Ns frame of mind, and could change at any moment and did on a regular basis.

    Thank you for your response here, because it resonated. There are people I thought were on my side, and they have revealed themselves as agreeing my Ns have a point about my unreasonableness. I'm a different person when I'm not around my Ns. Most people who know me haven't seen it, but those who have say the difference is like night and day.

    Thanks for being an inspiration. I'm tired, but I won't give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,
      Your experience is valuable regardless of whether you have full contact, LC or NC. You are a survivor, dear, and you have every right to talk here about how you've made it so far. :)

      I went through a period of being a night/day different person with/withou the N's in my life. Ultimately, I had to come to the decision that I didn't want to be the person I was around them anymore. That ws the right choice for me, it doesn't mean there aren't other choices for other people.

      Sending you pixie dust and happy thoughts of rest and strength.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. I think it's where I'm struggling right now. I don't like who I am around my Ns, but I haven't yet found a way to escape them, without causing more harm than good. One day at a time. I'm more like who I want to be, now, than I was ten years ago. I am making progress.

      Oooo pixie dust and happy thoughts and strength... I like that, and it made me laugh. Thank you, Vanci.

      Delete
    3. Judy,
      You're welcome and any time; I've got a whole bag of the stuff with your name on it! Keep your chin up girl and just put one foot in front of the other.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  4. I had a pretty rough and tumble childhood thanks to my sociopath mother. Every couple of years she took us back to square one.
    The way my mother and her minions turned on me, and the way I was trashed after I went no contact, seemed like a role I had prepared for all my life.
    It was a still a cold shot, but one I was used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. q1605,
      I had a pretty 'rough and tumble' childhood, too, LOL. Understatement of the year much? :)

      I was well trained for the rejection, too, but I'd still held out some hope that I was wrong and they would see the light. I've come to attribute this to my own good nature.

      Brrrr.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  5. "The best plan once you've got a little distance is to lay on the warp drive and never look back."
    I haven't spoken to my NM since last May. I've wondered about contacting my aunt to see if she would have anything to do with me or not. But I'm afraid it would only get back to my NM and seem like I'm "cracking" and here they'd come at me again. I still feel abandoned, but I always was abandoned. My only purpose was for their shame dumping, and I'm done being their willing little scapegoat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brace,
    I don't know how it works for you, but I do know that for me, each and every time I cracked open (even the tiniest bit) the door that I'd worked so hard to shut, even if it was by proxy, they used it against me and as an excuse to rally another attack.
    I'm glad you got away and congratulations on almost a year!
    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brace,
      Also, I forgot to say - I went through a period where I wondered if it would be okay to contact some of the ancilaries to see if we could have a relationship. My counselor finally asked me to consider: NM and the NFOO made a POINT to talk to everyone. If those people hadn't contacted me in a year (or however long it'd been at that point,) couldn't it be possible that their silence toward me was the answer to my question of whether they wanted contact with me or not?

      Just a thought.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. You're probably right, Vanci. I just wonder if maybe I could get some answers about my NM's relationship with her and their family. I don't know. My aunt is in her 80s and fragile, and may not care. I've never had much relationship with her, mostly because of my NM. But I don't know if it's worth opening a can of worms.

      Delete
    3. Brace,
      You're the only one who can answer that question, for sure. I would only say that if you decide you are going to make contact, do so with every available protection: go in with a lifeline and the knowledge/support of a good person in your life, set your expectations accordingly and (most important in my opinion,) have an exit strategy.

      God, sounds like planning to rob a bank, doesn't it? I'll be hearing the Mission Impossible theme in my head all day now. :)

      And... be prepared for the outcome. I haven't had any success with this type of contact, but then again, I had only the NFOO and one other relative (Uncle Minion.) Maybe the odds get better with a larger pool?

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  7. great post, so full of truth. I am aware of the 'hot rock' syndrome and so am low contact and keep my distance emotionally and physically. I will always live in a different place from them. Both on land and in my head. It's a standard requirement for my mental health! Talking of that, mine was attacked too. I know they are capable of 'going there' again in a nanosecond. Not letting em!I now do not respond to any of their despicable hidden cues to 'come to heel'. Power to your elbow Vanci! Your well chosen words increase my confidence, and therefore my strength and for that I thank you. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nyssa,
      You are so welcome and thanks for reading. I'm so glad that my experience can help you to keep yourself safe.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  8. It's been years since not talking to nfoo. Just recently dh said, "Aren't you glad that you're not around that anymore?"
    I said "yes." It just would be nice to have a family. Not them of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      I know that feeling. I wish I could have had a real family, not the other mother Neil Gaiman Coraline version. When I get too deep in wishing that, I try to remind myself that I also wish I was two inches taller. And that I had my own personal fire truck. And that I could have gone to the moon in a space shuttle. Nothing wrong with wishing, right? :)
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  9. Vanci, you have a wonderful way with words. Are you a writer/journalist by trade? (I continue to be impressed by the writing in this tight-knit community of ACoN blogs!)

    I especially liked: "I feel like I missed the launch of the Titanic and got left on the dock with my ticket in hand." I read your words, and they give me hope that things can get better. That maybe the feelings of abandonment and betrayal might turn into feelings of luck and gratitude that I escaped. Some days I do feel that way, but other days I have flashbacks of happy times with my family when I was young and blissfully ignorant about the narcissism and lack of emotional freedom.

    My NF died 2 years ago, and I can still hear the just plain mean things he said to me in his last months of life. And now that he's gone, the rest of my nuclear family has stepped in to that role. I'm reading "Cutting Loose" by Howard Halpern (great read!), and now I realize I'm dealing with a bunch of raving mad inner children when I look at my family. Not to mention my own inner child that needs to be re-parented before it's too late!

    A huge hurdle for me has been trying to get over what other people think of me, especially my family members. I've always sought harmony with everyone, and I tend to focus on the one thorn on an otherwise beautiful rose (so to speak). I'm used to being able to yank the thorn and enjoy the beauty, and this time, I have no control over the thorn. I'm trying hard to move on, but it's so incredibly painful, and I'd like to hope that one day, I'll feel more whole and less cynical.

    Keep up your wonderful writing on this blog, Vanci. If I knew you in real life, I'd send you some roses myself in gratitude(hold the thorns)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KFL5,
      Thank you for the nice compliment. I'm not a professional writer, just an amateur with a lot to say on this subject that I'm passionate about. I'm proud of you for doing so much to take care of yourself. I'll keep writing, don't worry, it helps me too!
      Hope is good thing (repeat as needed.)
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  10. This is reassuring. There are times I feel like I'll never get the narc ex-friends out of my system (especially since they stalk my blog all the time and haven't let me "go"). But if it's just a matter of time, then I just need to be patient....

    ReplyDelete