Thursday, March 15, 2012

What Changes?

I've had a couple of people ask me lately the same basic question, though phrased differently and in different contexts from each other.  I'm open about my background and as transparent as I can appropriately be about what I've experienced in my life, how I've overcome abuses I've suffered and how I think/feel/live, so I get a lot of these types of questions.  I have a fairly large capacity for self-inspection, which is certainly not something that I try to hide, and my openness about my emotional journey attracts all sorts of folks who are seeking something in their own lives.  

The question I've been getting is something along the lines of: How do you decide to change?  
How do we get away from abusive people?  Declare boundaries and hold them firm?  Determine what is appropriate treatment and what is abuse?  How do we decide that or when enough is enough and most importantly, how do we know when and that we can take definitive action? 

We talk a lot in these communities about the steps that we take once action is determined to be necessary, and that is of IMMENSE value.  In leaving an abusive family system or relationship(s), we're sailing off blind into uncharted (at least by us so far in life) waters.  Thar be monsters thar, matey.  The experience of others who've been before us or are journeying with us is incredibly important to have.  But, before we rig up the sails and leave port, we've made a decision to do so.  What dictates that timing, I wonder?

It's different for everyone, I'm sure.  I read a lot of our stories that seem to have a jumping off point that's the result of cumulative abuse over years, lifetimes.  We've been fed, as DH puts it, little spoonfuls of shit for long enough to be tired of eating shit.  (Bless that man for his colorful descriptions!)
Often there's no MAJOR ORDEAL that is the final atrocious act that pushes us into action, it's just yet another Everyday Abuse or Narc Attack or Crazymaker Tactic.  Often it's no different from the way that we've been treated daily... forever.  But it's the last time, it's the metaphorical straw across our backs and we snap, we've had enough, we spit the shit out of our mouths, we create a wall or a boundary and this time we stick by it, we fortify our defense and we take a stand.

Sometimes there is a major event that pushes us over the line from passive Scapegoat to Defender of Self (or FOC.)  But, for ACoNs, I can almost guarantee that whatever that big final event is, we've dealt with it or something like it before.  So why do we finally wake up and choose to act or react differently than we always have before? 

The Narcs don't change, the abusers don't change, I honestly believe that they are only as capable of change as they are willing to look within and that they are as a whole, completely unwilling to do so.  So, they keep trying to destroy us in the same what that they always have.
Therefore, it's logical to conclude that WE are what changes.  Something in us changes at the end and we become capable and willing to change the game, even if it means - as it almost always does - turning our entire worlds upside down and dealing with the full-blown rage and power of the Narc and Minion Crazymaking Machine.

It was a long time coming, for me, and I don't remember having an Aha moment where everything suddenly became clear.  It was a process to get to the point of willingness, and the fear of loss I had in stepping out of the NFOO's expectations of me was very real.  They'd always been able to express to me clearly that if I stopped towing the company line, I'd be exiled, ostracized, thrown out, worthless to them.  For most of my life, they had the power to erase me as I believed that without them I wouldn't be worthy of existence.  

But, there was some thin wire of steel that found its way into my heart and mind, and I finally had the strength to make a stand.  I wasn't expecting the World War III that my stand cracked open.  It took me by surprise and I was seriously shell-shocked... but.  Something new happened after that final confrontation.  I continued to stand.  That was a first.  

I don't know, still, why I knew that I could remain standing, take it, move on, grow, learn and be better without them that time.  But, I do know for a fact that the final stand was the first time that I reacted to their assault with further resistance.  I made mistakes, sure, and allowed too much discourse, false conversation and wish I'd known how to shut the door completely and immediately.  But, even with my occasional back-sliding and mis-stepping, I still kept moving forward, away from them and their (increasingly easy to spot and avoid) craziness.  

And I know this, too; the longer I stood, the clearer it became that I was making the best possible choice.  

Now, with the perfect clarity of retrospect, I can see it exactly as it progressed.  I know what I did right and I know what I did wrong and I know that I am better off without them than I ever even could have had the possibility of being with them.  

I still don't remember everything; some abuses still lay dormant in me and occasionally one will bubble up as further proof of my rightness in defending myself and discontinuing my relationship with these awful people who called themselves my family.  But, I remember enough to know that the source of my strength in breaking the cycle came from within me.  I'm the one who changed, and I'm ever so glad that I did. 

Love,
Vanci

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for reinforcing what I just finished writing about on my blog. I felt very hesitant when I clicked publish. After reading your blog, I feel a little better. You're right, I was the one that changed. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth,
      Great minds just think alike, I guess. :)
      Thanks for sharing your story, too!

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  2. I'd been told for years, they won't change you have to change your reaction to them. Counselors tried to make me see the need to walk away. As long as my DH was alive I seemed to be able to tolerate the BS that was my NFOO.

    Then my older brother died (their favourite whipping boy) followed a few months later by my DH. All hell broke loose!

    My cousin's doctor, who was treating him for stress, suggested my younger brother had NPD. I couldn't believe it and he directed me to some reading on the matter. At that time, I didn't recognize my brother but I sure as hell recognized my NF. Next I found a checklist on which my NF scored over 90% and much to my amazement my NM scored over 80%.

    I was hooked! Suddenly I had an explanation for the crazy making actions of my NPs! More research made their tactics transparent and predictable. Bloggers just reinforced and validated my new knowledge.

    So I FINALLY began to change the way I related to them by going LC and not running down to help them every time one of them had a hangnail. This worked for a while but NF simmered, boiled and finally exploded.

    You're right: "Often it's no different from the way that we've been treated daily... forever." the last confrontation was no different really from the 1st one I remember from when I was age six.

    The difference was this time I saw through him and knew exactly what he was up to AND I wasn't a scared little kid any more.

    I'm not completely where I'd like to be because they can still get in my head now and then, but as blogger Kiki says, once you take the "red pill" there's no going back, which is just fine with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mulderfan,
      You said, "...I wasn't a scared little kid any more." Isn't it sad that they've abused us so thoroughly that we have to come to this realization? People who come from loving families, I've learned, don't have to back-track to the source of their fear; they haven't got any! Weird...
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  3. I never had an AHA moment either, but in a way I grew up knowing. In a way I was lucky. I left the parental house to go live on my own in my adolescence, and I think it would have been far worse if I had stayed there in the toxic environment.
    However leaving my mom's house was not the end of all hell. A part of me never stopped hoping, even till today, against my better judgement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexandra Ene,
      I think that some part of us always knows, but the training or the circumstances that we're subjected to keeps us from acting... until, for some reason, we do. Glad you got away when you did and I hope that your pain eases.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  4. There was a gradual awakening. When I got my dog, I wouldn't allow them to treat her badly or call her names, though I'd allowed it to me. It was because of my dog and the way I'd been harassed by my family because I was a horrible trainer that I saw my first counselor. A few years later, I was back in counseling, with another counselor. Then I got my horse. They had no power over that aspect of my life. None. Then 9/11 happened. I felt connected to the world, while they withdrew. They didn't want to hear about it. The final nail was the release of the movie "Fellowship of the Ring." My emotions woke up, all of them, from laughter to tears to rage. I connected with a group of people who didn't know my family, at all. I was accepted as me, not because I was their daughter or sister but because of myself. People who didn't know my family liked me because of me, and my family had no influence over these new friends. Then there was no going back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,
      The series of events that come into our lives to show us what we need to know never fail to amaze me. We never know when grace will appear!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  5. Yes, yes, YESSS! You nailed it, IMO. There was NO internet/self-help books/NOTHING all those years ago when I terminated the relationship with my pdmomma either. Like you, I blundered, made "mistakes" and didn't follow any "rules" except one: ENOUGH.

    Sometimes it seems ACoNS are "waiting" for a "reason" external to them to terminate an abusive relationship so they can point to a single event as the impetus to initiate NC and reclaim their own lives. Big mistake, IMO. You've had a lifetime of experiences to inform your thinking. Use it. Act on it. Reclaim your self, your life, your sanity, your respect, dignity and worth as a human being. Waiting for someone who's abused the shit out of you for years to give you a "reason" is invalidating every last part of your truth. Unless WE change, nothing else will.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TW,
      I agree that action sooner is best. But I also know what it's like to live in that all-encompassing fog of believing that we are only being (mis)treated because WE deserve it. My NM and ENF had their hooks in my from day one and it took a LONG time for me to realize that the shit they'd force fed me was just that. Although I wish I'd gotten out sooner, I don't beat myself up too bad for how long it took; it was all I knew, after all.

      If I'd known then what I know now... :)
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  6. I also think having children can be a catalyst. That happened to both my husband and his sister. They both no longer have contact with their mother. With my husband, it was immediately after we had our first child. The memories of his childhood came flooding back, and as a father he could not understand how his mother, if she loved him, could treat him the way she did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      I agree that this can be a catalyst too. I often wonder if I'd had my children when I was a little older if I would have been strong enough to make the break. Alas, I was 18 and 20 years old when I had them and a very broken young lady. For a time after I had my girls, the NFOO seemed like a warm cocoon of safety. Until I started to see how my daughters were being abused, too!
      I wish I'd have seen it sooner, but have to be content with being grateful that I finally DID wake up. I take comfort in the fact that the cycle has been broken and hope it's not too late.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. Vanci, I completely understand. My SIL was also slower to "awaken" - she went NC a few years after my husband did. I don't blame her at all, I'm just glad she eventually did.

      -L

      Delete