Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Change and Crustaceans

I've been thinking about myself - not in a weird self-centered mirror, mirror on the wall type of way - more along the lines of end of the year reflection upon who I am these days and what I like about me and what I'd like to change.

At this busy, busy time of year and with these thoughts rattling around between my ears, it occurs to me; change is hard work.  I mean really hard.  Over the last four years I feel like I've become the emotional equivalent of a marathon runner.  I've worked so hard to reclaim my inner Vanci, and whether that's meant recognizing that alcohol was killing me instead of my problems and therefore drying out or going trough the painful steps in tearing away the wrong-taught NFOO family system that I was starting to duplicate in my FOC and replacing it with a better way, I have trudged the road.

Have I arrived at my destination?  Nah.  But I'm a lot further on the road to freedom and happiness than I'd have ever thought I could be.  That progress, that hard-won and fought for progress is a direct result of me changing me.  Regardless of why I needed to change or how I did it, man oh man alive, it's been worth it.

And that willingness, I think, is the key that has unlocked so many previously forbidden and hidden doors.  My desire to be better has in so many ways translated into my ability to do and be so.  It occurs to me that my desire and willingness is what separates me from the Narcs.

They've proven to me over and over again that what they want is not to make themselves better.  They don't want to make their relationships with me or anyone else better.  What they want is to keep me on their level, to get me back into functioning in the role that they assigned me and that I chose to assume for so long because it makes them feel better, no matter the cost to me.  I've wanted to change me for the better, and they've wanted me to change back to what they think is better for them.  Not only is their desire implausible, it just doesn't create any good results.

DH has told a truly insightful story to our DDs on many occasions - to eye-rolls every time - of the Crabs in the Pot.  Usually he tells it when we are discussing some friend or group of friends that the DDs are having trouble with or who are having trouble themselves.  It goes like this:
If you put a bunch of crabs in a pot of water and slowly bring it to a boil, they'll all die.  In that space of time where the water is starting to heat, they should all be able to crawl out, but they don't.  Why?  Because as soon as one crab gets above the fray and heads for the top, the other crabs in the pot grab onto it with their crabby little claws and pull the potential survivor back in.  And they all die together.

*Insert melodramatic teenage eye-roll here*

He's right, though, and I love that the moral of the story when he tells it is this; to survive the other crabs in the pot, you have to NOT GET IN THE POT in the first place.  You have to change the entire scenario.  You have to change.  You have to be willing to be separate, apart from, isolated, lonely, cast out, even if it means you're shivering in the cold for a while while the rest of the crabs are riding out that apparent bubble bath.
The result of that change is different for everyone, I assume.  But I know that for me, it's meant freedom.  Joy.  Peace.  Laughter.  Looking in the mirror and liking what I see.  Having genuine relationships and being an authentic person.  What fantastic rewards have come to me just for being willing to change!

I'm still open and willing to healthy change that leads me in a better direction, and they're not.  Sad as that may be for them, I think I'll stay out of the pot nevertheless.  Indefinitely.

Love,
Vanci

P.S.  No crabs were hurt in the writing of this post.

5 comments:

  1. Love the crab story! Along the lines of: If you don't wanna be a doormat don't lie on the floor!

    AA promises do come true! New freedom and happiness, serenity and peace...but you're right Vanci, change requires willingness and hard work!

    Well, done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your final note about no crabs being hurt during the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Vanci, once again you made some aspect of my life click into perspective. I was raised to believe I was lower than the dirt on my FOOs' shoes (I know you can't possibly relate to that), yet at the same time, one of their favorite bits of abuse to hurl at me was, "You think you're BETTER THAN we are, don't you?" As a child, this always confounded me; I truly believed I was less than the dirt on the bottom of their shoes, so where was that charge coming from? You just made me realize... I wasn't like them, and I didn't live my life the way they did, and obviously they felt the need to drag me down to their level.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you, for sharing yourself and helping me clarify aspects of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth, Thank you!

    mulderfan,
    I've found in every aspect of my life that willingness has been the key to unlocking doors, especially the heavy ones. In my journey of sobriety, I've often said that it feels sometimes that willingness is all I have - and it's the gateway positive character trait that leads to all the others! Thank you for the affirmation.

    vicariousrising,
    Thanks, I typed that on the cuff and giggled when I re-read it later. :)

    Anon,
    I'm absofreekinlutely thrilled when my story can help another person. Clarity is one of those things, in my experience, that the Narcs absolutely MUST prevent us from having. It's awfully hard to keep a clear-thinking person down, ya know? Keep searching, keep seeking and keep clarifying for yourself. Truth is the most powerful weapon in your arsenal of recovery from the confusion they wanted you to live in.
    Many hugs and you're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome!

    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete