Saturday, December 17, 2011

Defining Abuse

What is abuse?  How do we define it?

I heard this story from a gentleman of my acquaintance the other night, I'll call him Marv.   I wouldn't say we're friends, but we often end up in a certain social circle together, and we all happened to be talking about our childhoods and specifically our childhood Christmases.

"I had a great childhood," he said.  "I mean, there wasn't any abuse and mom and dad both seemed to enjoy their lives.  Mom stayed home and dad worked, it was really a 'Leave it to Beaver' kind of scenario.  There were some things that they did that I didn't do with my kids, but you know, it was more a reflection of the thinking at the time than anything else.  Dad was the disciplinarian and I remember a lot of 'you wait until your father gets home' type of scenarios..."

I'll have to loosely paraphrase what he said next because the alarm bells were ringing so loud in my head at that point that I could barely listen.  Marv went on to explain how the discipline worked in his childhood home, in which remember he'd just noted that there was no abuse.
When dad got home from work, mom would pass on the list of Marv's inadequacies or screw ups for the day to dad.  They'd have dinner.  After dinner dear old dad would look at Marv and say, "are you ready?"  At which point Marv would have to go to dad's bedroom, get his dad's belt, drop his pants and then dear old dad would whip Marv's bare ass with a belt until Marv cried or dad's arm got tired.  Marv specifically pointed out that the beatings lasted longer as Marv got older and became less inclined to cry.

Holy hell!  On what planet is this not abuse?

Imagine this, for a moment:  In the story above, imagine that Marv is mom.  Imagine that dear old dad is treating his wife like this.  Is it then abuse?  What if it's a wooden board instead of a belt?  Is it then abuse?   What if dear old dad's a teacher and Marv is not his son.  Abuse or discipline?   What if Marv has a learning disorder and failed a test and that's what's on his list of crimes.  Abuse?

I'm not interested in a discussion of spanking vs. not spanking children as a form of parenting.  For the record, I disagree with it personally and think that hitting a child for any reason is both wrong and a form of short-term fear-based behavior modification that denies basic human rights and causes long term problems.  But, I don't see the above story as 'spanking' anyway.

Hitting someone smaller than myself with a leather belt until they cry or my arm is tired while they pose for me in the most humiliating situation I can think of is not 'spanking,'  it's an intentional beating.

I define this as abuse, and frankly, if dear old dad treated anyone else like he'd treated Marv, I wouldn't even have to define it, the penal code would do that for me; it's assault, possibly aggravated assault as I'm pretty sure that a leather belt would be construed as a weapon.  But, dear old dad didn't attack an adult on a regular basis with a weapon, only his child, and that somehow doesn't qualify as abuse?

So this story begs me to ask the questions and I hope you'll sound off in the comments or on your own blogs with a link to this one:
What is abuse?  As we're mostly ACoN's here, specifically, what defines abuse of a child?  Is that different from abuse of an adult, and if so, how?   Physical, emotional, verbal, spiritual, sexual; whatever aspect you think you can define, I hope you will.

Love,
Vanci

8 comments:

  1. I'm planning to post my thoughts on this on Tuesday at The Project. I'll post the link then. It's a really good question. I'm always amazed by what people believe isn't abuse, but if it were done to someone other than their child could land them in jail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Marv was definitely abused. This scenario isn't, well, Marv stole something/broke a neighbor's window/whatever, and dad gave him a few swacks on his still-clothed bottom, because, well, that's the way discipline was once done. Nope. This is a daily systematic listing of the boy's mistakes, small and large, EVERY DAY, and dad whips the boy to tears EVERY DAY, while the boy is bare-butt naked. That is systematic, sadistic abuse. If Marv's daily sins were really so awful--which I doubt--then even in the 50's/60's sane parents would have sought outside help (counselor, pastor, whatever)--not beaten the poor kid daily. Marv failed a math test... let's beat him. Marv ate an extra cookie... let's beat him. Nope, that is abuse. In any era. I feel sorry for Marv.

    Now, have I ever laid a hand on my kids? Yes. My child as a young kid had a thing for trying to run across the street... in front of cars. She was young enough that I could hold her back, but once she pulled away and almost got hit by a car. I explained WHY this was not a good idea (she was about 4). She tried it again. I explained again, and told her if she did this again, I would spank her. So, of course, she tried again. And so, I gave her one--one mind you--moderate swat on her fully clothed butt. She cried out of shock; my swat did not physically hurt her. I comforted her and then explained that as much as that hurt, it would hurt so much more if a car hit her. She never tried to run across the street in front of cars again. Was that the best way to handle it? Perhaps not. Or perhaps. I don't know. It was effective, it was one time, and I certainly got no joy from this. Was it abuse? I don't think so. But if I'd done that every day--rather than one time--or physically hurt her even once, then yes, that would have been abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I started to teach back in the early 60's every teacher had a strap in their desk that we were supposed to use for discipline. I never used mine until ordered by the principal. As a 19 year old Grade 1 teacher it was hard to gain the respect of 14 year old Grade 8 boys while on playground duty. So, after an incident of disrespect I was told I had to strap one of the boys. After giving the boy one light tap on the hand I started to cry and the principal, my witness, finished the job.

    I never used the strap again but, oddly, the boys treated me well from then on!

    Marv is like a lot of us. We just accepted what was dished out because we had no way of knowing it was not the norm. A lot of the abuse that was heaped on me was simply because I was a girl. With no insight into other families I just figured that girls had responsibilities while boys got to have special privileges.

    Some time ago, I wrote a post: "Are We Being Abused?"
    http://muldrfan.blogspot.com/2010/07/are-we-being-abused.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but wonder why Marv didn't consider himself abused. Although I think I can intuit the answer: we are conditioned to believe our parents love us do all they do is "in our best interest." I know that I did not realized that I was abused until I was in my 30s; I thought I was a best who was deserving of punishment despite that I felt anger (which I suppressed, of course) for the treatment.

    To mulderfan, I half wonder if the respect you got after your aborted strapping of the student was because you cried -- they could see you were not an unsympathetic authority figure who meted out cruel punishment brainlessly. Lol, I'm still an optimist about human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A major reason why I am opposed to ALL forms of corporal punishment is that it always leads to the complicated, endless debate about when discipline becomes abuse. How many, how hard, how often, with what implements and for which offences - no one ever agrees. Abusers take advantage of this lack of consensus, continually enlarging the grey area to include whatever they want to do. Abusers NEVER call their actions abuse, it's always "discipline".

    So let's just not hit our kids. No grey area, no debate.

    As for Marv - poor guy. That is deeply effed up. I can understand why he doesn't call it abuse, and it's not only because of his conditioning (though certainly that is a huge part of it). It is also because people do not like to admit to anyone - including themselves - that they've been victims. (Heck, they don't even like to admit they paid too much for something or voted for the wrong guy.) Being a victim is stigmatizing, isolating, and shameful. It shouldn't be, society should be more compassionate than that, but it usually is. (The term "survivor" doesn't seem to working very well to de-stigmatize anything.) Unfortunately, it is very rare to encounter a person who will hear someone out re: abuse with an open mind and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Came over from Judy's project. Gave me a lot to think about. Finally admitting that I had been abused was the toughest thing I had to do in the healing process. I could tell you so many ways to abuse a person that never leaves a mark. In my opinion, the emotional and spiritual abuse are some of the hardest to over come but they don't even rate as illegal. Sexual abuse is one of those abuses that keeps on giving pain for years afterwards and I didn't even remember the events. My body remembered. I have heard people say "Well mine isn't as bad as yours..." Since when does that make it OK? I am going to think about this for awhile and my full answer will be over at my post when I can put together my opinion which will probably take a lot more space than a comment box. Thank you for posing this question. It isn't addressed unless somebody asks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy,
    Can't wait to read your thoughts!

    Anon,
    I hear in your comment that intent to harm is a key ingredient in the difference between abuse and discipline. I think that's a good tool to use in trying to separate what is abuse and what is parenting.

    mulderfan,
    I checked out the link to your post and saw the comprehensive list of indications of abuse. I couldn't agree with them more. I like your story of the strap - fear works in the short term, respect (which IMO always has an element of compassion) works long term.

    vicariousrising,
    I wonder about that too, but my experience has shown me that it takes an awful lot of time/pressure/pain to overcome childhood conditioning and begin to see everyone, including our 'parents' for what they truly are rather than what we'd believed (and hoped) they would be. Nothing wrong with being optimistic, dear, as long as we stay rooted in reality. Trust, but verify.

    pinkpearl,
    I like this: "So let's just not hit our kids. No grey area, no debate." Seems so simple, doesn't it? I agree that the 'victim' mentality and societal repercussions keep a lot of us from speaking out. Let's change that, eh? :)

    Ruth,
    I haven't been to the project yet, but will when Judy posts a link. I'm often baffled by the "mine isn't as bad as yours" statements. I guess we all want to believe at some point that it wasn't as bad as we remember or that we can convince ourselves that it didn't/doesn't hurt so much by recognizing that someone else had/has it worse. I think that's a Narc-implanted thought process though; they'd also like for us to believe that it wasn't as bad as we remember - that way they can continue to get away with it! Can't wait to read your expanded thoughts.

    Love to all,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://theprojectbyjudy.wordpress.com/2011/12/20/sharing-vancis-post/

    Don't know if it actually answers the question or not, but your question gave me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete