Saturday, December 31, 2011

To New Beginnings

I love watching and feeling the excitement in the air this time of year.  People are making resolutions, planning to do more and be more as they're prompted by the start of a fresh, shiny, new and so far unblemished year.  Whether they're making a plan to better their health, financial situation, look for new connections or setting other life goals, it's nice to see the drive and effort people seem to be willing to act on, at least for a while, at the beginning of the year.

Beginnings for me are bittersweet.  Most of my beginnings have been due to the end of something else, some other form of existence that has often  been cherished and/or difficult to extricate myself from.  It seems, in retrospect, that most if not all of my new starts have been the result of having been in a pickle in the first place.  I created some of those tight spots for myself with regrettable decisions, but most have come about courtesy of the fucked up world the Crazymakers created around me and in which I stayed for far too long.

Still, beginnings, I think, don't always have to be the result of loss.  It's possible to spur oneself into action based on will alone or simply due to a calendar date.  Beginnings can be pulled from the ether.  Endings, though; well I think that endings always signal a new beginning.

As an ACoN and recovering drunk, I know about the pain of beginning anew.  I know about the uncertainty of having no routine but a bad routine and the effort required to build from scratch.  I know how lonely it can be at ground zero, and how intimidating a blank slate can be.  I know what it is to be at a loss, and how it feels to let go of the old to welcome the unknown with only a glimmer of hope that the new will be better.  I know what it feels like to have the wind of loss whistle through my soul.

Fortunately, I also know this: it can be done.  We really can build ourselves better, stronger.  It's not easy, by any means.  It's so ever-loving hard to change, especially when we are changing what is often everything we've known.  There is a lot of sweat, blood and tears required to re-build from the scorched earth that we are often required to start from after declaring No Contact or hitting bottom or deciding to reject an established family system.  It's work, but it's worthy work.

In my experience, since starting out on that scary new beginning, I've had to put my shoulder to the grindstone over and over again in order to keep moving forward.  Sometimes I have to push and work harder than others.  But - and this is key - as long as I've remained willing to keep moving forward, I've been rewarded.  It's gotten, so, so, so, so much better for me.

I hope that this trend continues in 2012; that I remain willing to approach the wheel and that my back and my heart and my mind remain strong and that I am able to keep getting better.  I hope the same for you.  Happy 2012!

Love,
Vanci

6 comments:

  1. And what remarkable people we find in this journey, but only when we're willing to say, "Yes, I'll share the road." Thanks for being one of my traveling companions. You've lifted me more than once. Happy New Year, Vanci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Vanci. Your words have touched my soul and opened my eyes to what was going on in my own FOO. As Judy so eloquently put it, thanks for "sharing the journey".

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It's work, but it's worthy work."

    Each day I wake up determined to just put one foot in front of the other and continue my journey. I'm so glad you reached out and held my hand along the way, Vanci!

    Happy New Year to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very powerful words my friend. And for me coming at an apropos time.
    I could have written this myself.
    But not nearly so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year and let's all make it a better one xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy,
    Happy 2012 to you as well. It's so nice to know we aren't traveling alone!

    Anon,
    I'm glad you found me and ever so glad that my experience can be of help. Keep moving forward; it does indeed get better.

    mulderfan,
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with... getting out of bed! :) And then a single step. Glad we can walk it together.

    q1605,
    Thank you for reading, and I'm glad you can relate - also certain that you could have written this post just as well as I. :) Thanks for the compliment!

    Nyssa,
    Amen. :)

    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete