Sunday, October 28, 2012

Disinfecting a Poisoned Well



This is what DH and I have spent the entire weekend doing.  Literally.
The apt metaphor of healing from a NFOO did not escape me.

The well
About a month ago, we started to notice a distinct... ah... odor in our water supply.  Yeah, let's just stick with 'distinct odor' as a description.  Ahem.
We live in a rural area and have a well, so I've had some experience with troubles of this kind before.  Typically, what I've come across are various mineral deposits or issues with rusty pipes, etc.  There are various treatments - like water softeners - to remove the minerals.  I thought this is the type of problem we were dealing with.  I assumed that DH would tell me we needed to look into getting a water softener.  Given what I knew, this was not an unreasonable assumption.
The NFOO
I remember realizing that there were significant problems in my NFOO.  I thought that I would be able to draw boundaries, have honest conversations, state what my needs and desires were and that we would fix the problem together.  I assumed that the members of my NFOO were reasonable people and that we would find a way to improve communication and fix it.

The well
About a week after the distinct odor appeared and did not go away, I asked DH what we needed to do. I thought it was odd that he hadn't said anything, but figured that he hadn't smelled it.  He often comments that his "sniffer's broke," then pretends to be a redneck and hee-haws while sniffing around comically.  (He worked with a lot of chemicals when he was younger and doesn't seem to be able to smell much.)  He said that we needed to have our well-water tested.  I went to our local health department, got the materials and learned when I could drop off a sample of our water, which as it turns out is only once a week.  We waited for the appropriate day and then turned in the water sample and were told that we would be mailed results.  I assumed that we'd get a test back telling us that we had excess of mineral X and that we'd figure out how to treat that excess of mineral X.
The NFOO
After spending some time trying to improve communication between the members of the NFOO and myself, nothing had improved.  I began to seek different tools to work on the problem.  I sought counseling, and when I talked to my therapist for the first time about what was happening in my NFOO and how it was beginning to effect me, he began by suggesting some simple tests.  for one, he asked me to identify a boundary that I needed to set with the NFOO and to go through the process that I would take in setting that boundary.  We decided that I would talk to my mother and father alone and I would ask them to respect boundary X.   I assumed that I would have a civil conversation with them and we would identify a plan for implementing boundary X.

The well
About three weeks after we identified the distinct odor, last Monday, in fact, which was just not the best damn day, we received the test results back.  The results were not good.  Our well had a bacterial problem.  This is not what I'd expected, this was a horse of an entirely different color.  I wasn't sure what I was dealing with anymore.  I was afraid.
The NFOO
My talk with my mother and father did not go as planned.  The were not receptive to my new boundary.  They interrupted me while I was speaking, and then changed my words and threw them back at me.  The accused me of things.  They said that I was being unreasonable.  They ignored my husband and told me that I had always been 'difficult.'  They completely discounted my boundary.  And after they left, I received a nasty, screaming phone call from my sister, accusing me of trying to hurt all of 'them.'  I was suddenly on the outside of 'them.'  This is not what I'd expected, this was an entirely different animal than I'd thought it was.  I wasn't sure what I was dealing with anymore.  I was afraid.

The well
I asked DH if he knew what we needed to do, how we identified what kind of bacteria this was, where it came from, how to stop it, how to fix it.  He said that we needed to disinfect the well.  He said that this would require chemicals, like bleach.  He asked me to research online (something he's not good at,) and see if I could find specifications for how much would be required and any kind of instructions to accomplish this.  I said that I would.
The NFOO
I went back to my counselor, emotionally battered and bruised.  I asked him how I could fix the problem with my family, how I could get them to respect my (by now plural) boundaries that I'd had to draw.  I asked him how I could feel safe again, and how I could not be afraid.  He asked me to keep doing the work and stay in the process.  I said that I would.

The well
In doing the research, I found that I would need to know the depth of the well in order to determine how much bleach to use to disinfect it.  At this point in my mind, this was still a fairly simple process, mind you.  DH happened to be home and I wasn't, so I called him and asked him how deep the well was.  He told me that he'd have to open the well casing and drop a tape measure to be sure, but that he thought it was about twenty-five feet.  I thought that this was odd, because I was looking at a graph that showed depths up to five hundred feet.  Still, I figured that he knows more about wells, has more experience with wells than I do, so I waited for him to call me back.  Surely, I thought, it can't be only twenty-five feet.
The NFOO
In asking these questions of my counselor and going through the process of identifying specific issues that needed to be addressed in my relationship with my NFOO, I began to discover that there were some connections weren't what they'd seemed.  I started to redefine actions that I'd previously seen as 'love' or 'family' and I began to wonder if I really knew what I was dealing with.  My counselor gave me specific lists of questions that I should ask myself about my relationships with all the members of the NFOO while I was interacting with them and after I'd interacted with them.  He asked me to take ten minutes after any phone call with any of them to write down five words that described how I felt.  I thought this was odd, because I didn't see how identifying how I felt after I talked to them would help me to get them to stop violating my boundaries.  Still, I figured that he knows more about family systems, has more experience with family systems than I do, so I agreed to follow the instructions. Surely, I thought, this won't tell me what I need to know.

The well
I'd always thought that we had a drilled well, which was the only type of well I knew about.  This is a hole drilled into the ground a long way, several hundred feet I thought, with a pipe jammed all that way down into the water table.  There's a pump at the top to pull all that cool, clear, mother nature filtered water to the surface and pump it into our home, right?
The NFOO
I'd always thought that my family made me feel good about myself.  Sure, they were a little demanding sometimes, but they couldn't help that.  It's just they came off like that sometimes.  They were basically good and loyal and loved me, they just weren't very good at giving me the space I needed.  They depended on me too much because I was too dependable, but I'd had depend on them before too.  These people were my family and that meant that they loved me, right?

The well
This was not the case, I learned.  Our well is not a drilled well.  Our well is in our basement, well, below our basement, technically.  Our well was dug using a backhoe.  Our well is accessed via a giant, four foot tall concrete box with a lid on it that opens onto a twenty-five foot deep hole in the ground with concrete cylindrical forms for walls.  There's mud twenty five feet down there.  This was not the mythical crystal clear water flowing from under the earth to nourish my family's health.  This was a hole in the ground in our basement.  My illusions were shattered.
The NFOO
The way I felt after those phone calls was not the way I had thought I would feel.  My family did not make me feel what I anticipated; loved, happy, safe.  My family made me feel: dark, angry, frustrated, cold, helpless, powerless, stupid, confused, sick, bad.  This was not the cherished bosom of the family crest that I'd been sold on.  This was hurtful, this was abuse.  My hopes were shattered.

The well
I bought bleach on my way home from work.  I assumed that we would pour bleach into the well in the correct amount, run the bleach water through all the taps and wait the prescribed 12-24 hours.  I was upset that I would have to go a day without a shower, but willing to make the sacrifice.
The NFOO
I learned that I did not want to feel the way that my family made me feel after those calls.  I resolved that I would not let them treat me that way, that I would not let them make me feel that way anymore. I decided that I'd had enough and that I wouldn't be letting them talk to me in such a manner the next time.  I knew that I would probably take some heat, maybe even be hung up on a couple of times, but I was willing to do so in order to hold my ground.

The well
DH laughed when I brought the bleach home after work on Tuesday and asked him if he was ready to do this disinfecting thing.  "No, babe," he said, "we have to get more tools and we'll need more time."  We had to obtain pumps, I was told, to get all of the water out of the well and remove whatever might be causing the problem.  "What could be causing it?" I asked, thinking that we were talking about a rusty pipe or a crack with mold in it or something like that.  I was a little dumbfounded wondering what could be causing the problem.
The NFOO
All of my efforts to safeguard myself were summarily shut down.  I was being a spoiled brat, I was told, and I had no right to ask for what I was asking for.  I would NOT be granted what I was asking for.  The phone began to ring constantly.  Instead of backing off on demands and honoring my boundaries, there were new demands, more demands and now the demands began to be accompanied by snide remarks and rude comments that I hadn't heard before.  I was dumbfounded by how I was being treated and couldn't understand why.

The well
Yesterday, DH began the process to pump out the well.  He soon realized that he would need a particular kind of ladder, and that the only way to get said ladder would be to ask for help from my father-in-law.  FIL can't pass up a project without joining in, so he brought the ladder and came to help.  I asked him in passing if he thought they'd have to pump it completely dry for us to clean it up.
He told me that we'd certainly have to get it all the way down to the ground in order to clear up the problem, or, in his words, "To get whatever critter is in there out, you know."
There was a dead animal in our well.  Holy hell.  Holy carp.  Holy fuck.  Our water was full of rotting carcass.  Fuck me, that's a nightmare.
The NFOO
The longer the situation deteriorated with the NFOO, the more crazy calls I had, the farther we/they tumbled down the rabbit hole, the more I reached out to the obviously sane people around me.  They let me know that they were there to help and they would do anything they could for me.  I asked them if they thought I would be okay, if it would be okay, if I'd 'get my family back.'  They began to tell me that from what they'd seen, I was being abused.  I began to realize that the issues were lifelong and deep.  My family was, indeed, out to get me.  They would never, ever, ever stop pushing and hurting and shaming me.  And they were hurting (in some ways already) or going to hurt my DDs in exactly the ways they had and were hurting me.  Holy hell.  Holy carp.  Holy fuck.  My family was full of dysfunction and narcissism and the chosen perpetration of that on other people.  Fuck me, that's a nightmare.

The well
We worked to remove the... ah... atrocity.  We pumped in new water and added bleach.  We ran the clean water and the disinfectant through every linear foot of pipe, faucet or fixture in the house.  We allowed it to sit and work away at the germs.
The NFOO
This atrocity as well has - after much work - been removed.  I've spent years cleaning house and getting rid of the parasites, germs and other rank shit they left behind.

The well
The water is now clean.  I'm glad it's clean.  I like the idea that it's clean and free of poison.  That's great.  But now that I know what was wrong in the first place, we're never exposing our family to the risk of such contamination again.  The filtration system will be installed by the end of next month.
The NFOO
This well too is now clean, at least on my end.  There is no more poison allowed to enter my system through that portal, because I installed a shutoff valve and locked it shut a while ago.  I won't be exposed to that risk of contamination again.

The moral of these true stories?
If you're not absolutely, positively 100% sure that it's good for you, don't drink the water.
Take it from someone who knows, now.

Love,
Vanci

27 comments:

  1. Having lived in the country with an awesome 50' dug well (that went terribly wrong after 18 years) I can relate. We ended up having to get a new well drilled just so we could sell the house!

    NF decided to give me the money for a new well for my birthday that year! He said I could pay him back if we made enough on the sale of the house or if not, it would never be mentioned again, and it wasn't. I still wonder why I got that one gift with no strings. Still weirds me out!

    This is a great analogy and it truly demonstrates the kind of process many of us have to go through to have our eyes opened. Seems like we all go through the phase where we genuinely want things to work out and are willing to give our NFOO more chances than they deserve. In the process they turn on us like a cornered animals and the entire pack joins in.

    A slight difference: We need a well to survive but we sure don't need the NFOO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mulderfan,
      Thank you!
      That is a strange gift from your NF. My guess? He was still just saving it up to hold over your head when he needed to when you left and cut off his capability to use it against you.

      We need clean water to survive, and in my opinion we do need love as well. We do, however, have a choice about where we get it and what we accept as clean. :)

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  2. Brilliant! This explains it so clearly. I need a shutoff valve, though I'm creating one in a way. I'm going NC emotionally and limited contact physically. I'm never alone with NM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,
      Thank you!
      What I learned this weekend is that cleaning out such a massive, horrifying mess is a process. You're working in the right direction, and I see you making progress in the process every day.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  3. Great analogy Vanci. I'm glad you got your water supply all figured out. Not that you took it for granted before, but isn't it amazing what havoc these "necessities" can create in our lives when they go bad. Our furnace went out last winter in the middle of a frigid night. Not fun.
    Anyway, do you remember any of the specific questions your therapist asked you to think about in relation to your familial relationships? If not, no biggie, but I was curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jessie,
      I totally took our clean water for granted; never really even thought about it before. I will never take carcass-free water for granted again! :)

      There were a lot of different questions as (as I'm sure it's apparent,) this questioning process happened over and over again. I believe that I have my old notes and will pull them out tonight and look. If I do have them, this would be a great follow up post... I'll let you know either way.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Don't worry about it too much if it's too difficult to find. And I'm sure you have a carcass free bath or cup of tea to enjoy after all your hard work ;)! By the way, CARCASS!! GROSS!

      And I know what you mean about not taking it for granted any more. I think we don't even think about these things that are actually luxuries in our lives. My heat went off, it was zero degrees outside, and I had a five-month old (and 3 year old). I spent all night with the emergency heating man trying to figure it out. I can't tell you how assuring it is to hear the heat kick on at night!

      Delete
    3. Oh, been there! My husband was gone, it was cold, the furnace had a defect, and I had to figure out how to fix it. :P

      Delete
  4. This is awesome, Vanci! And makes SO much sense. Thank you! My youngest woke us up at 2 a.m. the other morning because the toilet overflowed. My NFOO is like that toilet, too, regurgitating their shame and blame onto me with all the blackwater that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brace,
      Thank you!
      Yes, I thought of many different elements and fixtures of plumbing that my NFOO reminds me of while working on this process...
      Many comparisons applied perfectly. :)

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. And that one is familiar, too...unfortunately. :P

      Delete
  5. What a pain the whole well thing must've been. I love this analogy.

    It also makes me think of something I heard in the AA rooms about not repeatedly going back to a dried up, empty well for a cool drink of water. It's never going to be able to provide me with the relief that I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vi,
      Yes, it was quite the weekend. At 2:30 on Sunday morning, DH and I were just wrapping up that day's work and I looked at him and said, "How was staying up this late ever fun?" We couldn't think of a reason. Tee hee.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. Hi Vi, not to butt in here, but I sent you a request for your blog a few days ago and hadn't heard back. No rush, just wanted to let you know in case it didn't make it.
      My email's on my blog too if you need to contact me! Thanks for the invite!

      Delete
    3. jessie,
      You just poke your butt in here anytime, lady. :)

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  6. Love the symbolism! I only drink bottled water, now I'm wondering if I started doing that back when NC started.

    Q's Sis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Q's Sis,
      Thanks for reading. That's an interesting question about bottled water/NC...

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  7. I was riveted by the comparison all the way through - great post, Vanci! I had the same experience with my Foo and have had to remove the critter from my system as well. Can't have a healthy system with a bunch of toxic sludge pumping through it. Or rotting bodies, for that matter. Wow that must have been really smelly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. upsi,
      Thank you!
      Yeah... I would say that it was one of the most disgusting things I've ever experienced, and let's all remember here that I was a falling down, bad decision making, out of control drunk for a long time. I've seen, smelled and lived nasty. I can't even... ugh, I can't even think about it without wanting to hurl. And I wasn't the one who had to get INTO THE WELL. My DH is a muthafraking rock star, let me tell you.

      I hesitated to even write this post because I wasn't even sure if I could make it through the story without needing to bleach my skin, hair and every article of clothing/fabric in our house that might have been washed in the last few weeks.

      Fortunately, by the time I was done writing I was too tired to go on a disgust fueled cleaning rampage. :)

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  8. Phenomenal analogy, Vanci. Having validation "something's wrong here" (and no, it's NOT us) is IMO so critical in this process. And yeah, what you did with the bleach, btw, is called up here, "SHOCKING the well." Shocking, ain't it? ;)
    But oohhh, so worth it!
    When there's a problem with the "infrastructure" the headaches/heartaches and the COSTS associated are high if not astronomical in every way. That you were even able to extricate yourself from the N FOOlishness is a true testament to your fortitude, intelligence and survival skills. Vanci, you are far tougher than you even knew, especially at the beginning of your journey, eh?
    Truly, a "cleansing" in every respect event. ENJOY!
    TW
    (DH and FIL sound like real sweeties. Those kinds of men are hard to find; lucky for you and THEM too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TW,
      I heard a couple of people call it shocking too, which made me think of chasing the well around with exposed wires or something. LOL.

      Thank you TW, I am so much stronger than I ever thought I could be. Amazing how we grow when we stop drinking the poison, isn't it?

      And my DH is just incredible. He tried sooooooooooo hard to keep me from understanding what was happening once he figured it out, and he was a little upset with FIL when he realized he'd (FIL) let the ... uh... critter out of the bag. I'm a big girl, but I have me some black and white Eww Factor limits. I'll just keep trucking (and hauling in sweet water until we get that filtration system set up.) I'm lucky to have such awesome family of choice surrounding me. So lucky.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  9. Brilliant post - so exciting and insightful. So scary to finally stare at the rotting carcass and know what it's really all about. Glad you purified your source of life, both literally and metaphorically!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PA,
      Thank you. "Purified the source of life," I really like that. :)

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  10. This is a great post stepping through both challenges. Your writing clarifies the realization that sets in when I finally accepted how very poisonous my FOO is. Cleaning the well is a slow process.

    ReplyDelete