Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Standing Ground (with tired feet)

I had a busy comment day; not something that I can normally keep up to pace on, but I had a little break today and spent more time hanging out here in the ACoN Healing Garden than I'd normally be able to.  In that back and forth, my dialogue with the lovely mulderfan reminded me of a situation - an 'incident' if you like - that occurred about two months ago.

I took my youngest DD to her high school orientation; a poorly planned and abso-freekin'-lutely excruciating event that the school thought would best be held on a Monday night.  After work.  Two hundred fourteen year olds plus their parents, all tired, all hungry, all ready to just get this shit over with already, packed into half a gym.  The smell alone would make an NFL player want to cry.  There's only one reason to go to these things: to get the child's schedule for the upcoming school year.  And the administrator's know this and are completely willing to use that as the carrot on the stick to allow them to keep you as a captive audience to force you to listen to why the upcoming levy vote is so important and to reassure you that they care about your child's test scores almost as much as your vote.  (Also to let you know that should you vote no, your child's favorite extra-curricular activity or elective class or sport, whatever that may be, will likely be cut, just saying.)  But it's the only window they'll allow for your child to get their schedule before school starts, and who's in what class is a terribly important thing for fourteen year olds to know.

After enduring the torturous, long, boring, inane speeches from everyone who apparently means something in the land of middle-of-the-road academia, we were released from the sardine-packed bleachers.  We had high hopes, yes we did, of getting through with this thing at a decent hour.  We were op-to-mis-tic.  We were naive.

After standing in the world's longest line outside of DisneyLand, we were given the schedule.  Then we had to stand in line to pay fees for classes on the schedule.  Then we had to stand in line to be let into the hallways so that the children could find the classrooms on the schedule.  Then we had to stand in line to find out why the child had a blank period on her schedule.  Then we had to stand in line to have a photo taken for the ASB card, which we'd already paid for after standing in line at the ASB table.  Then we had to stand in line in order for the child to get a locker.

I mean, it was my version of hell; the only thing missing was the Kenny G muzak.  Chaotic, foot and hormone smelling hell.  And that's before we even stood in line to go to the damn bathroom.

One of the longest lines was the line for photos, who knows why.  We kept walking by it between standing in this line and that, and I thought that surely if we waited, that line would have to grow shorter, right?  Simple mathematics.

TWO HOURS LATER, after we'd make it through every other line and jumped through ever other hoop, the photo line was just as long, but it was the only one that we had left.  C'est la vie, thought me.  We got in line.

My DD happened to know the two girls who came to the line right behind us, so we turned and began to chat, keeping always an eye on the movement of the line ahead of us so as to keep shuffling forward like so many tired, sweaty cattle.

You know when you're standing in a line or stuck in a lane of traffic, and you're just inching forward one painful millimeter at a time and you've all but resigned yourself to the snail's pace that you're moving at, and then someone up ahead makes a sudden exit?  Suddenly you can move forward inches at a time, feet even, sometimes - gasp! - yards and meters!  Hooray!  It's sad to be reduced to that level of exultation, but I was there.

The group of people in front of us suddenly gave up and left.  We could move forward to the tune of  a space previously occupied by six bodies!  And there he was.

I haven't seen my Golden Child Younger Brother in a long time, but he looks just the same.  And there he suddenly was, six inches in front of me with a child that I assume is is stepson.  I know he was married a couple of years ago, to a woman that I've never met.  Needless to say, I didn't receive an invitation to the event.  But this place that I live is a small town, and I do keep my ear close to the ground in order to have the earliest notice possible of approaching Narc stampedes and ambushes.  So I knew about his new ready made family, without really knowing anything about them.

And here's the meat of this post - or the main veggie course if you swing that way.

I used to be terrified of running into my Former Family Members.  Seriously, I'd be in the grocery store and see someone who looked like one of them and I'd turn on a dime to head a different direction.  I reacted to even the thought of running into them viscerally.  Nausea, headache, cold chills, hot flashes, muscle weakness, shakes; basically all of the terror reactions rolled up nice and neat into a gut bomb and dropped on me.

Then I had a couple of close calls, fast moving brushes of the shoulder type of deals.  I'd get out of the public place I was and slide in my car and then think, "Hey, wasn't that....?"  I wasn't given time to react until after the fact in those situations, and I noticed that I did feel the horror reaction, but to a lesser extent.  Then I realized one day that GCYB and my nephew were right behind me in line at the convenience store of all places and I just didn't give a crap.  You can read about that here.

I saw the progression of my evolving reaction and interpretation of these events as a plus, a sign of healing, and I was grateful for that.  To feel nothing, to detach, is really the only option I have when it comes to these people.  There won't ever be any relationships there, and my acceptance of that fact as a matter of small steps has been crucial to my journey to get well.

But this was different.  It felt a bit like the brass ring.  My 'reaction' wasn't really that at all.  I didn't get nauseous or scared.  I didn't have to ponder or contemplate what I should do.  I didn't have to run away.

My thoughts went something like this: "I'm not going anywhere.  I've been waiting in lines for two hours, this is the last one and I'm not wasting one more damn minute in this place than I have to.  I haven't done anything wrong, I shouldn't have to leave, and I won't.  If I make him uncomfortable, he can leave and go to the back of the line."

I didn't doubt this course of action for a second, even when he - in a grand show of the maturity level of fledgling Narcs and Golden Children - kept turning around to make sad "oh-I-miss-you-so-much-and-if-your-mom-wasn't-such-a-bitch/devil-we-could-all-be-together" googly eyes at DD.  I just made sure to look straight at him when he tried this and he broke off contact every single time.  Gawd forbid we have a conversation.  It's better to just try to make the child feel guilty, right?

The last time I spoke to him, five-ish years ago, he told me that he "couldn't forgive me" and "couldn't talk to me without feeling too much rage to handle."  This kid held a knife at my throat when I was 16 and he was 14 because he thought my boyfriend at the time (whom we'd known for years as a family friend,) should be only his friend.  Threaten much?

Eventually, millenia later, as we began to approach the halfway point of the line, he went off to sit in some of the auditorium seats far away from us, where I could see him furiously texting away on his cell phone.  Hmmmm, I wonder what he was talking about?  I actually did laugh out loud when I saw that.  "Quick, send flying monkeys!  I need backup!"

DD and I talked about it later, and she was saddened by it, "He looked so sad!" she said.  And I calmly explained that if he were a good person, he wouldn't have cut us out of his life and then expected that she, as a child, should bare the burden of that absence by making sad faces at her, as if she had any control over it.  If he was a good person, he would have tried - as I did with him, to no avail - to build a relationship outside of the Crazymaker Clan.  (A small note:  he and his new wife and her two sons - 14 and 18- all ALSO live at the NParent's house.  It's like a fucking commune of crazy out there.)

But my point is this.  I used to be terrified of them.  Then I was scared.  Then I was sort of indifferent.  And now, as I was reminded earlier today of my favorite Kurt Vonnegut line ever, "You (they) can take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut!  You (they) can take a flying fuck at the MOOOOOOOON!"

I think it applies, and I hope they have a pleasant journey.  I'm not going anywhere.

Love,
Vanci

21 comments:

  1. This story really gives me hope. Not that there's much chance I'll randomly run into my FOO. I love that you say going NC was such a positive in your life. I'm keeping my eye on that light at the end of this tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vicariousrising,
      I'm so glad that you see hope in this. I'm touched that my experience can be a gift to others.

      I'm so glad that you can see the light, and hope you get there quickly.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  2. My NGC once bemoaned, to my cousin, that he no longer had a relationship with my DD. Funny thing is; he never did. In her entire life, never so much as a card or gift. No call when she was hospitalized for THREE MONTHS. Nothing. Ever.

    Then when she had her DUI, he not only refused to help out with a letter to the judge, he told me to kick her out and write her off as someone who would never turn her life around. This judgement from a life-long addict/drunk!

    Even now there's nothing stopping him from dropping her an email or giving her a call.

    These types always end up showing their true colours and leaving us with no choice. Your NGC really showed his when he tried to manipulate a 14 year old kid! Same old same old!

    You handled yourself with class! Congratulations, Vanci.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mulderfan,
      My brother was such a big part of my life, he was my best friend for a long time when we were little and played together and tried to protect each other.
      Even as young adults, we had a relationship outside of the Clan that was mostly positive and helpful to both of us. He was an attentive uncle and a big part of the DD's lives.

      I was dumbfounded that he jumped so solidly into the NParent's 'side' when I made my Stand.

      And you're right, that's when I got to see his true colors. I'm fortunate that I was able to see it for what it is and him for what he is. Even though it hurt like hell initially.

      Thank you for the compliment, friend.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. Mulderfan, I had the same weird thing happen when I ran into the GC in a grocery store. She immediately went into a loud wailing about how much she missed my DS...the one that she had never called, visited, or sent a birthday/Christmas card to the whole 14 years of his life we were in contact. NOW she can't live without him? Pshaw, pull the other one; it's got bells on.

      Delete
  3. It's the weirdest sense of FREEDOM - because we didn't really ASK for it in the beginning. We used to sort of beg to STAY in any permutation other than being abused. I know that terror feeling - I got the watery bowels/weak legs/clanging bells in my head and RUN AWAY was the only option for my sanity.

    Your post is about hope. It is something that ALL newer ACoNs need to know will happen - you will stop giving even one shit what they do. You WILL be free. It takes time, but once you go NC each baby step you take will actually take you MILES from the fear.

    Vanci - just look at how you are raising your kid! Your daughter already has SO MANY tools that we never had. She has seen the behavior and can recognize it now. She has seen you model how to handle these situations. She is so empowered against this type now. Go Vanci!

    (PS - I am so damned glad my son has graduated. No more permission slips, no more rides to-and-fro, no more checks to PTA or ASB...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gladys,
      It's a difficult thing to extract freedom from what initially seemed to be overwhelming and unending fear, isn't it?

      Good think we're up to the challenge!
      I'm so glad that you read hope in this story. When I think of how broken, how sad, how fractured and beaten I felt at the onset of LC and then NC, I just want to build a time machine and pick my broken self up and help me to understand that this path, yes, this one is the one you want. IT WILL GET BETTER!
      If I can give that hope to anyone else out there, it's worth it, it's all worth it!

      And my DD, actually both my DD's - as Mr. T would say, I PITY the FOOL... who tries to pull one over on them. Empowered is right.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. Vanci, I agree with Gladys. I was incredibly heartened to think that one day, like you, I could come face-to-face with the NFOO and not want to flee for my sanity.

      Delete
  4. This gives me hope - haven't seen the 3 Weird sisters since Nmother died on Christmas Day last year - have a family wedding coming up this summer and will be in proximity to them - I don't think I'm particularly afraid, but there will be pressure from the Silent Partner to forgive and forget and that makes my stomach hurt. For a while, I was practicing 1-2 liners - Hello. Oh, there's ________. Now I've decided that no talking is necessary. I have NOTHING to say to these people. Period. Ever. Thanks for the hope!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toto,
      Any time! And good for you for thinking it through and having a plan.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  5. I'm still in the avoid, avoid, avoid stage. I don't attend weddings, funerals, parties, even church. I lock myself in my room... I'm a prisoner to their insanity... I have to figure out another way... This tells me it really is possible. Thanks, Vanci.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy,
      I remember that stage well, and there was a seriously judgmental part of me that would just go on and on lecturing me about the reasons that I shouldn't be there. Intellectually, I knew that I didn't have a reason to be scared, that I hadn't committed any wrongs, that I didn't have to hide.

      But, as I've often heard, the journey from the head to the heart can be the longest one in the world. Be kind to yourself; you're making progress and that's what counts.

      We get where we need to be when we do, and not before.

      Much love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  6. This is a great story Vanci and very hopeful.
    I do not want to run in fear, feel sick, or not live my life because of the narcs in it. They don't get to control me one more damned second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jessie,
      You're welcome and thanks for reading.

      I remember that it was the "they don't get to control me one more damned second" thinking that was the impetus for my real progress along to the path of not giving a crap about them.

      I felt guilty the first time I thought that, ashamed the second time and by the, oh, four hundreth time I thought it, it just made good sense, like it was a thought that a normal person would have. :-)

      Good for you!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  7. Vanci, what a wonderful writer you are! I finished reading your entire blog last night, and you put into words what I cannot. I don't know if I'll ever start my own blog since I don't have the inner wherewithal at this point, but I get a lot of sustenance from places like yours.

    I have been NC for 5 years from my FOO and have loved every second of it. It's the best gift I could give myself. But lately, I've been tackling anger (could be menopause!). However, if I ever run into my sister or my mother at the thrift stores we like, I'm prepared to say nothing and keep shopping for good junk to buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texarkana Friend,
      Well, thank you. I'm blushing.
      Wait, you read my entire blog last night? Good gawd, are you okay? :)

      I get angry about it sometimes, too, and can lope off into fantasy land occasionally to think about the great, hurtful things I could say if I run into one of them again... And then I remember that my silence is THE most hurtful thing I could give to them. My silence speaks VOLUMES. Oh how they hate to be ignored! Bwahahahahaha!

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. Vanci, insomnia has its rewards!

      I respect you tremendously for making the decision to go NC and sticking to it. I tried it a few times in my younger years and always crawled back, hoping things would be different. This last time my mother initiated it instead of me; it hurt like hell, but she finally exposed her true nature to the light. I didn't have to second-guess my instincts anymore.

      I wasted years on a creature who never loved anybody. I thought I would be the exception somehow. Going NC has given me back my life, and it was the only real answer to my problems.

      Your husband and daughters are so very lucky to have you.

      Delete
  8. A huge WOOT! for you, Vanci! It's as if the experience in the convenience store gave you just a bit of courage to "stand your ground." And then THIS! The "discomfort" was on HIS side, apparently far more than your's, IMO.
    Your DD is learning SO much not only through your words, but through modeling behavior that says, "Boundaries mean more than just words; they're translated into actions that express those words non-verbally." That's one powerful message to give your kids. And one giant leap for Vanci! Mon Dieu, you're right-it DOES sound like a crazy commune of N-ism at that residence....wow.
    Yeah, nice how the schools "plan" these things, huh? Since the schools in this area depend on robo-calls to do everything ELSE I don't get why a lot of this stuff can't be done the same way. (sigh)
    Judy, just a quick note: You're doing what you need to do for NOW, OK? Toto, that's exactly it, IMO. It WILL get different, I PROMISE.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TW,
      Thank you!
      It was definitely a progression of events adn feelings related to them and the convenience store incident was obviously the last straw. You're right, I wasn't at all uncomfortable in line, what I felt was more like a mild amusement coupled with the faintest hint of ... disgust.

      I'm so happy that I can give and model these behaviors to my DD's. They're so smart and with the right tools... watch out world! What an incredible validation of the good that can come from breaking the dysfunctional cycles!

      YAY!

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  9. This is reassuring. I see my narc ex-friends every once in a while around town. Several times, they've even passed me in their van as I walked on the sidewalk. (Once, I even saw the wife hanging half her body out of the window as they drove past. Really...bizarre.) Once, I was just walking through the crowd in my church's festival when I practically ran into them. My husband sees them at the store on occasion. They've come to my church. When they discovered my blog and posts about how nervous and scared I'd get when I saw them, they decided to come more often, and even scolded me--with "two years is enough time"--for not wanting to be around them. It's just unbelievable how callous they are.

    I didn't think our town was *that* small. It's reassuring to know that no, there's nothing wrong with me feeling this way, it's perfectly natural. And that it is possible to get to the point where I won't care anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And so it has happened again....Only this time really freaked me out. I don't drive, I walk, so I was out walking to an errand yesterday when Guess-Who was pulling up to the same intersection as me. I made eye contact with one of their daughters, who I saw squirming in her seat and crying out like she does when she sees my husband or me. (Their kids love us, so they get excited when they see us.) So they must have known I was there at the crossing, even all bundled up.

    It shook me up, but I figured it to be coincidence. However, on the way home about an hour later, they passed me AGAIN. That freaked me out, especially when I saw them turn down my street.

    When I got home, I checked the mailbox, checked the parking lot, etc., making sure they weren't there and didn't leave a "message."

    Is it really paranoia when they *are* out to get you? These people read my blog every week, have sent me a threatening e-mail, and I've been seeing them pass by me on the street often enough to start wondering. My husband says it's just coincidence, but it's nervewracking, and I'll be keeping an eye out in case it increases.

    ReplyDelete