Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fine and Angry

I wasn't going to write tonight.  I had other obligations and other things on my mind; some of it the normal grind of busy modern-ish life in a rural area and the daily life of a family household full of people lurching along on various tracks, some of it the types of activity that my overactive brain always allocates to the Life's Monkey Wrenches column of my daily compartmentalization.

I used to worry about that function, you know.  That absolute need to categorize certain things that I've just never been able to shake.  A place for everything and everything in it's place, as it were.  Spoons go in the spoon slot.  Socks go in the sock drawer.  Keys go on the hook.  Serial abuse by NFOO members goes in the isolation room at the center of my heart which used to have a much bigger padlock on it.  Or maybe the padlock's the same size and I just carry industrial strength lock cutters in my back pocket these days.

At any rate, I worried that dividing up my thoughts and feelings into little cubbie holes like so many shoe slots in a day care was bad for me, could even cause splintered memories and confusion.  One day my counselor said to me: "Vanci, a certain amount of compartmentalization can be a healthy thing, particularly when it comes to living your life while overcoming trauma."  So, you know, I've got a hall pass.

I was just sorting through the day, which included such new and dramatic turns as having a thermos full of coffee just freakin' explode for no reason as I stood next to it first thing this morning.  That took a bit to process - the space age glass inside the thing just went kerblooey and ended up looking like M.C. Escher had a fistfight with that mercury future cop from that terminator movie inside a plastic coffee thermos.  Trippy.  There was the power outage to deal with, no big deal as we have plenty of candles except that the well pump runs on electricity so no power also equals no water in the casa a la the People Who Are Crazy and/or Kind Enough to Live With Vanci.  Which, hey, as it turns it wasn't that big of a deal anyway as we found out that the well water test we ordered last week came back in and identified some potentially harmful bacteria in the well.  So, yay!  We shouldn't have been drinking the water anyway.  Oh yeah, and my car wouldn't start after work.  I married a mechanic, thank you powers that be because I am a car problem magnet on an evil X-Man scale, so that's no biggie.  Make the call, wait for the cavalry.  Just one more thing.

But you know, there's this full, lively, come what may rock star part of me that knows that I, we, will be fine. It's all going to be okay.  This is life.  Good shit happens to bad people, bad shit happens to good people, etcetera, etcetera and vice versa.  It's nothing personal.  Karma?  Maybe.  Kismet?  Maybe.  Stephen King-ish Dark Tower-esque life is a wheel speak?   Hells yeah.  It'll even out eventually.  And I dig that about me.  Bad day, yep, that sucks, but it's okay.  Some good things happened too.  I am the queen of the flip side, the ultimate silver lining seeker and finder.  I used to have to be, but there's a part of my personality that just goes there automatically - not as a dismissal of reality, I'm not babbling about some 'change reality through magical thinking' BS here, but I tend to see at least most sides to a thing naturally.  And there's always some good going on at the same time as the bad, and I like to acknowledge it.  Nothing about my life experience has ever been one dimensional.  So, like Bill Murray talking about the Dalai Lama in Caddyshack, I've got that going for me.

A haiku I wrote a while back for my daughters.  They call them momkus, fyi.

Make this idea truth;
You will always be okay,
Even when it isn't.

Cheesy and corny as it is, I believe that.  Not that it won't hurt in the middle of whatever 'it' is, but I believe in surviving, healing, working through and even if it takes awhile, eventually getting to okay and sometimes even all the way into the end zone of kick-ass awesomeness.

There's this thing that I realized today, as I said it, that I've said for a long time and it's true.  When the proverbial bacteria laced well-water hits the fan, I say,

"I've faced bigger demons."
Which is my way of verbalizing how it's easy, seemingly, for me to shrug the day to day crap that just happens off my shoulders.

For some reason, though, today, the truth of that phrase struck a nerve for me.  I've probably said it hundreds of times, and I have always known that it's true.  I really have stared into the abyss and walked away.  Not even remotely unscathed and unscarred, but damn it, I have walked away and that fucking counts.

Today I realized in a very concrete, visual way that when I say that, I am thinking of the demons that I have faced and often conquered; at the very least, all of those demons that I've faced are monsters that I have survived and lived to the tell the tale of the journey away from.  And those demons have names; they are my mother and my father and the creatures that they pieced together from rotten carcasses and spare parts in their lab of crazy; my sister and my brother, who eventually became their willing assistants.  And do you know what that mental picture means right now?

Make.  Vanci.  Angry.
That's why I'm writing tonight, because I am angry.  Why am I angry, you ask?
Well, I'm so glad you did!  Pull up a chair, I'll tell you.

I am angry because ANGER is the normal reaction of the healthy (ish, okay, ish!) psyche to being repeatedly and intentionally:
Manipulated
Harmed
Abused
Used
Set-Up
Trash-Talked
Diminished
Character assassinatd
Stomped on
Gaslit
And every other dirty stinking rotten horrible and awful thing that the monsters I was 'raised by' did (and would gleefully still be doing if I let them) to me.

Every story has two sides, they say and that is so true.  But what are we talking about when we say it has sides?  We're talking about perspective, feeling, inference, angles.  Hell, a story can have infinite sides when you look at it that way.  But what do those angles have in common?  Well, the story, of course.

And guess what the story that has all those different versions of telling really is?
Right here in the middle of the page, like a damn boulder:
THE TRUTH

And there is only one truth to a story.  There is only ever one set of facts that actually happened, no matter how it comes out of the spin cycle.  One truth to rule them all, on truth to bind them... no, sorry, got a little LOTR there.  Ahem.  Gollum.

My mother is a monster, straight from the forge of whatever greater overlord of dark places makes them.  She's a lying, narcissistic, child sacrificing, self-centered, master manipulating beast who refuses to acknowledge that she's ever, ever, done even a single thing hurtful to me, though she's likely sorry if I feel like I might have ever felt like it was possible that I misunderstandingly sort of thought that I felt hurt, though not because she hurt me, though, because she doesn't recall and she can't really think of when that might have happened, though it certainly couldn't have been that bad.

My father is a monster, also courtesy of the Demons R' Us customize-able order form.
He's a yelling, hitting, molesting, lying, self-centered child-hurting slimeball who hides behind titles and wives and other children and has always found a way to slip the noose and come out smelling as rosy as a two-bit shyster can smell and who's never apologized for hurting me at all because after all wasn't that a long time ago, like yesterday, and wouldn't Jesus want us to forgive the transgressions of the past after all and pave our way into a better, -
(sorry, just threw up a little in my mouth)

All of those things ^ there, what are they?  They're the truth.

And what am I?  I'm the little girl who lived through that and grew up to get out, get better, be better.  I broke that mold and doing so broke me for awhile just like the inside of that thermos shattered into a million pieces this morning and all of the shit they fed me poured out all over the place.  And I cleaned it up and I bleached the hell out of it and I started over again.  I've done it different.  I've rebuilt it, better, stronger.  Like a mobster with a new name, I'm out, and they couldn't drag me back in to their den of horrors for all the saltwater in the seven seas.

But I'm angry, yes I am.  Because when I have a bad day and I remind myself of the truth that I, we, will be okay, I have to also remember all the times that I haven't been, for awhile, because they tried so hard to take the ability to be okay away from me.

I'm angry as hell and I have a right to be.
I won't apologize for my anger any more than I would apologize for my happiness or my insane sense of humor.  It's an emotion, a perception, a feeling.
My anger doesn't rule me, it's an emotion and I am ruled by one thing, baby.
The truth.  Cold hard facts.  Just me and every detective Elmore Leonard ever made me love.

But I am also going to be okay, I am going to be fine, fine, possibly even finer than frog's hair.

I accept that I can be both.  After all, I've faced down bigger demons.

Love,
Vanci

17 comments:

  1. I finally learned that anger is my friend. It is my inner thoughts doing damn good detective work when someone else is violating boundaries. Your determination to be OK is amazing. I am so proud of you Vanci. You keep doing what you are doing. I like the image of the story about the donkey in the well, shake it off and step up. http://johnmpinto.com/donkey.html
    I agree about being a dedicated silver lining finder, sometimes that is the only light I get. It keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth,
      Thank you so much, my friend.
      I liked the donkey story, particularly that part at the end. :)
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. I thought you might like it. :)

      Delete
  2. When angry count four. When very angry swear. If you are still angry flush the offenders head in the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Q,
      One.
      Two.
      Three.
      Four.
      &^%$!
      Flush.

      Like so?
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. Bada Bing, Bada boom.

      Delete
  3. Thank you! I keep being told that there are two sides, and those saying it keep ignoring The Truth! It's maddening. Great haiku.

    *whispers* I kind of like q's suggestion, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,
      I always think of a closed door when contemplating the truth. You stand on one side of it and see a doorway to Hong Kong and I stand on one side of it and see a doorway to Brazil and okay then. But really? It's just a slab of wood and a handle and some hinges that we hung there and called something that stood for something. Opening it and walking through won't get either one of us to the imaginary places we thought it would, cause at the end of the day it's just a piece of wood and a handle and some hinges, no matter what we call it or want it to be.

      I guess if we're lucky, we end up with the other party behind that door in a bathroom, maybe that hasn't been cleaned in awhile, and we can wrestle them to the commode...

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  4. Well alleluia with a bunch of foot-stompin' and WOOTS!
    Yes, anger the polite term for a VERY NORMAL RESPONSE TO YEARS of BS is healthy, a NECESSARY part of being human. If it wasn't, we wouldn't come fully equipped with this among our "arsenal" of feelings. It's portrayed as somehow "baaaaddd."
    Wanna see what anger can do? It can change lives. It can change communities. It can feed the hungry and put clothes on the backs and fronts of those who need them-desperately. It builds homes, it builds dreams and brings them to fruition. It educates in EVERY sense of the term. It saves lives and gives birth to new ones.
    It's the small things that aren't-not really-that implore us to "GET MAD. And then DO SOMETHING about it!" Something, I don't care how small it is, that takes that anger and motivates lil' old YOU to not care how crazy it sounds to others, you have a goal in mind with this anger and you're gonna use it.
    And because YOU did, your humanity shines through. Your kids will benefit, your relationships will benefit and so forth.
    The greatest "benefit" recipient will be YOU: Welcome "home," baby!
    TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TW,
      Thank you, my friend, especially for the reminder that anger is a PRODUCTIVE emotion.

      I have benefited so much through giving in to the feelings that are actually happening, which led me to uncover and acknowledge the facts that actually exist, which has led me to get away from the people who are actually harmful and open up my life to the people who actually care.

      What a nice home that is to be in.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  5. I am very busy trying to find the truth in my childhood. I am willing to understand that maybe I remembered some things in a skewed way - I was a kid. But what I am UNWILLING to do is dis-remember how i FELT about those incidents. Because I believe that how I felt WAS MY TRUTH, and my brain was just trying to piece things together.

    The TRUTH MATTERS THE MOST. And yeah, the truth makes me very angry. I live my life between being find and dandy! and being PISSED THE HELL OFF. If my dad wasn't dead, I'd seriously beat him to death. And laugh while I do it. The anger gives me power.

    We wouldn't HAVE this amazing power to Make Everything That Goes Wrong Have A Silver Lining if we didn't fucking NEED that skill - if we hadn't had to learn how to turn it all into lemonade because the narcs made EVERYTHING bad. I like the skill, I hate the school it came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gladys,
      I agree; I also like the skill without liking the school (or the demented teachers) that it came from.

      Anger IS powerful, especially I think for those of us who were trained from early in life that our only available resource to survive what was happening around and to us was to feel nothing, acknowledge nothing, skew our memories to live through it, lie to ourselves and others and deny the truth.

      Being angry (not full of rage, such a difference) helps me to reclaim the bits and pieces of myself that were stolen.

      Being angry, for me, is always followed by greater healing and peace.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  6. Hell yes! I was afraid to be angry because I didn't want to be like HIM. But, then I realized his rages weren't about anger they were about control and putting on a show to scare the shit outta those little kids who relied on him for their very survival. How cool is that?

    Now I know, it's OK to feel anger. It lets me know something is a little "off". You know, just not quite right.

    Recently, I've been crapped on by a group of assholes and at first I was royally pissed, red hot angry. I've stepped back from it for a few days. Now I'm controlling and channeling my anger into lining up my ducks. When I'm damn good and ready, I'll release my ducks and the assholes better take cover!

    Just like you, Vanci, I've faced down bigger demons that would settle for nothing less than my soul. Makes the rest of them a piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mulderfan,
      Your comment made me giggle a little because it made me think of all the wanna-be manipulators that I come across in my day to day life.

      I have a pretty finely tuned Narcdar, so I can identify the uber scary ones right off the bat and deal accordingly.

      But the mid-level used car salesman brand of grease balls, well, I always toy with them a bit and let them wind up and try to pitch while I internally score the presentation against the scorecard of the soul eaters I know well.

      They're always so confused when I've had enough and shut 'em down hard. They thought they were doing so well... having no idea that after what I've made it through, they're the pesky flies of manipulation.

      Bwahahahahaha! Evil Liar Squashing Vanci Emerges!

      No, just kidding.
      Kind of.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  7. Beautiful post, Vanci.

    My anger is my friend so long as it's not rampaging. It actually helps me gather up and assert myself rather than be crapped on. And it spurs me to live rather than mope in the doldrums of how maybe it'd be better if I'd never been born to my nasty, evil mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vi,
      I feel you. I don't live in this place of anger often, but I have had several episodes in sobriety and NC in which anger has been the catalyst for me to take action to better my self and my situation, and that has kept me sane (*sorta feel like I should post a disclaimer here that I have this on a certificate that I drew for myself and posted on my wall; it just says SANE. Woo hoo.)

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete