Monday, October 8, 2012

Letting Go of Why

I'm rusty.  I haven't done this in awhile, so I hope that you'll forgive my potentially less than musical prose as I warm back up.  "Words on page, pen to paper," was the mantra that my first sobriety sponsor gave me, and I noticed as I followed that advice that I got better at the art of telling - both to others and myself.  I haven't done it in awhile, haven't needed to do it in awhile, but I've gotten good at nurturing the faith that all things become better with practice.  Here we go.

I've been reminded of something important by the Major Kerfuffle happening over the weekend as Upsi's excellent blog was waylaid by a harmful presence.  It created excellent discourse and tweaked me down a path that I haven't explored in a bit.  I wasn't as intrigued by the original creator of the anarchy - a sort of wolf in sheep's clothing who stirred up a battle from first one side of the fence and then the other - as I was by the reactions of all the good people in ACoN blogland.

There were some ready to pull out the Red Queen's axe - "Off with her head!"  Some were ready to pull out the Forgiveness stamp and send the memo on through.  Most of what I read, though, involved the classic ACoN, and hey, let's face it HUMAN trait of simply seeking to understand.  (Please note that I'm not judging these reactions, I think they're all valid, I'm just noting the differences.)  We want so badly to know the source, don't we?

We are largely broken people, even though we come to this place by all sorts of different routes and intersections.  We share a lot of commonalities, both the horrors and the happinesses.  We reach out and we help and sometimes we reach out and we hurt.  We observe in silence and we speak out loudly.  We try, always, we try, to understand who we are and how we got here, and I think that there's a deep and significant part of all of us that's, really, at the end of the day, aware of the fact that once upon a time... we were whole.  And that someone else broke us or taught us how to break ourselves and (since we're talking about Narcs here,) taught us that we deserved to be broken and to stay that way.

I wasn't always broken.  For a long time, I could argue, I was well and truly held together more cohesively than anyone else around me.  I was, after all, just absolutely full to the brim of all the super glue I'd had to pour in the vessel of my soul just to keep myself together.  I was rock fucking solid, baby, and I could take care of me and you and them and she and he and all of it.  Of course, it was a farce.

One day I had to see it for what it was; bullshit.  I had to wake up and look, really look, at the mess of my shattered soul and make a decision to start picking up the pieces and decide if I wanted to put those shards back together again or if I wanted to go find a new potter's wheel to start over.  We all get there.  Some of us make it out shiny and new and some of us spend the rest of forever trying to find better glue.  But we all spend time in that decision.

For me, a natural progression of the agonizing journey of re-building my heart was to want to know why.  Why me?  My Nparents had three children and they treated us all horribly, but I was always the scapegoat, the whipping girl.  Why?  Because I was a middle child?  Because, with a first born older sister and a younger only male brother I was the disposable girl?  Why did they do this to me?  Why did they blame me for their actions?  Why did they take those actions?  Why did I have to be the truth teller?  Why was I the only one who remembered?  Why didn't they love me?  Why didn't I leave sooner?  Why did I expose my daughters to them?  Why did I see the truth and walk away from it?  Why did I wait so long?  Why did it hurt so bad to walk away from people who allegedly loved me and why did I ever believe that in the first place?

Eventually I was able to see that this questioning was driven by two aspects of my personality: first, I'm curious.  I think we're all curious, we want to know how it works and how it could be different.  If we didn't ever have the curiosity to question the status quo, we'd still be embroiled in the Family Line and wouldn't be here at all, right?  Secondly, I was trained to do this from an early age.  I was trained to believe that I couldn't trust the truth.  Hell, in my NFOO, there was no truth - only a ready made and infinitely changeable Story of the Family that was designed to be twisted to gain the most benefit from the current situation.  Narcs are able to fit in anywhere with their ability to attune to their surroundings, for a while.  Basically, I think, they're glorified scam artists and thieves.  You want conservative God fearing folks?  By God, they can be that for you - for a price.  You need a little bit of loosey goosey free loving down home?  Pull out the guitar and stoke up the bonfire, folks, we'll sing you a family campfire song if that gets us what we want.   I was always the only one trying to figure what was real.  In the middle of that gaslit and thinly revised hell, I was the only one unwilling to lie to myself, which I why I collected facts and stored them in my formidable memory.  NM used to accuse me of cataloging everyone's mistakes for later use.  Well, somebody had to keep the story straight (even if I did have to pretend to forget pieces of it in order to survive it, for awhile.)

So, I was always looking for the root causes, the catalysts, the reasons.  The WHY?

And when I got away, I continued to try to understand why?  I had hours long conversations with NM where I thought we'd resolved something, where she'd really listened... and then I'd get a call from someone else in the NFOO minutes later asking why I had said all the things that I hadn't or hadn't said the things I did.  It didn't matter what I thought we'd resolved; it only mattered what they wanted and needed for me to be for the game, the lies to continue.  I asked for no contact outside of a counselor's office and they redoubled their efforts to contact me any other way but refused to go to counseling.  It didn't matter where I felt safe or why I needed protection, it only mattered that I get in line, now, and do what they said and understand that it was their world and they'd decide if I got to live in it.  I wanted to know why they did what they did because I harbored some hope that if I could just understand WHY, I could change it.  Make it better.  Make it stop hurting.

And do you know that I finally got an answer to the why?  I really did and here it is:
Sick people do sick things.  (Of course this is emotional sickness I'm referring to here, not physical.)
Bad people do bad things.
Good people do good things.

I was looking at them all backward, you see.  I kept saying to myself, "Well, this is my mother and she's a good person, I've known that all my life right?  And so these things that she's doing, they must not be that bad, right?  Cause she's good right?"  And it just never made a lick of sense, because she was supposed to be good, but she was doing bad and sick, and I couldn't wrap my little heart around it.  I wanted SO badly to believe that she (and ENF and NSis and GCYB and on and on) were good and maybe, just maybe, I was looking at it all wrong.

Just because someone tells you that you can trust them doesn't mean you can, you know.  I can ask the man with the gun pointed at me if he's going to hurt me, and he can shoot me as he tells me he means me no harm.  It's about the action.  People who do bad things as a matter of course are, sorry to say, bad people.  People who do sick things as a matter of course are, sorry to say, sick people.  People who do good things as a matter of course are, glad to say, good people.

That's it, that's why people do what they do.  I believe that sick people can get well.  I believe that bad people can get better.  Of course, the problem with that is that those people have to want to get better, and it's a small percentage of sick people and a virtually non-existent percentage of bad people who want to change.  To hurt another person is a choice.  To hurt another person repeatedly is a confirmation of bad character.

Once I got that, I stopped asking why they did/do what they do/did, because it doesn't matter anymore.  All I know is that they don't get to do it to me, and the answer to the Why on that is simple:  Because I am good enough to deserve better.


Love,
Vanci



29 comments:

  1. Thanks, Vanci.

    Or maybe I should call you Theseus, since you've laid out the strongest thread to lead yourself and other ACoNs out of the Labyrinth of Why which seems to be part of every ACoN's journey out of the FOG of FOO-lishness.

    It does come down to that simple test doesn't it: What actions people take as a matter of course reveal their character.

    As you say so eloquently above, the hart part is realizing that, as much as one may want the situation to be different, and may spend YEARS trying to fix it, if the crux of the problem is their bad behavior, you can't fix it. It's not your rock ;), so figure out a way to mourn, and move on, as fast as you can (but no faster than you can).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CS2 -
      Theseus indeed, LOL. I followed the thread of many who've gone before me out of the maze, dear, but I'm happy to pass it on to others. :)

      Thanks for being here and reading.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  2. I accepted the bad things happened because I was there. If someone else had been there it would have happened to them. For me it was very freeing to understand it was not about me. Their problems are their problems and I am free to live my life. Thanks for the reminder that getting caught in Why is just that caught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth,
      Yes! If you don't want to get caught, don't go near the web, right?

      We are free to live our lives, and we are free to live our lives away from/apart from/without the people who want to hurt us.

      So glad you're happy, healthy and free!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  3. My journey to recovery really began when I stopped looking for answers to the unanswerable. I stopped trying to find a sane explanation for insanity. I stopped asking, "Why?"

    I didn't break it and I can't fix it. My parents were broken long before I was born and as Ruth says, I just happened to be there.

    I accept my parents exactly as they are. This doesn't mean I approve of them or have to deal with them. It means my search is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mulderfan,
      "It means my search is over."
      It means peace, doesn't it?
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this Vanci. I've been trying to wrap my head around this subject too. Your reasoning makes so much sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara,
      You are welcome and thanks for reading. I'm glad it makes sense to you, glad it makes sense to me too... now!

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  5. Great post. I don't how to be diplomatic. Diplomacy never works. I get trampled underfoot until I strike back. It's all I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Q-
      Thank you!
      Ah, diplomacy's overrated anyway, and it's downright dangerous to try to be diplomatic with Narcs in the house.
      I like to just to forthright instead. Catches 'em off guard. :)
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. I also have problems being diplomatic. That's such a great way of describing how Vanci communicates though, and there is so much strength in diplomacy.

      Delete
  6. What Q said. Me too.

    BUT also - the search for the 'WHY' led me down a path that had no end. There is no 'why'. You are so right. That journey and the childhood of abuse made me so SELF centered, because if it was true that all of it was because of ME, then I should have been able to fix it. That was a bitter pill to swallow, finding out that I had no power from beginning to end. My only power is in, as you said, finding all my pieces and getting them back together in whatever way I need.

    I decided to start tellling my stories because of that shifting truth stuff. I've been silent all these years. And these things DID happen. They happend to US and we are the Archivists and I, for one, need the truth to be finally told. It is making me feel more solid. It's uncomfortable walking through these memories, but necessary. We were made to pretend that the truth was something we fabricated. Which is a big part of why we are all broken. We aren't pretending anymore. There is such power in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gladys,
      There is absolutely power in refusing to pretend, in giving up the lies and in moving forward of our own honest mometum.

      There's also, eventually, I've found, peace in that and serenity and a whole new way of life that doesn't involve hurt. Keep telling it sister!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. I doubt the disordered person could tell you why. When dealing with a family member that you have bent over backwards to accommodate and all you get back is bitter hatred there is no way to explain it.
      I mean what did I/we ever do to them?
      Nothing.
      That's what is so confounding about it all.
      They are the way they are and that's just the way it is.

      Delete
    3. Q,
      I doubt the disordered person gives a shit about the why. Why's one of those big questions that involves a person looking beyond themself to take in the surroundings of the greater populace; not a PD/Narc's strong point, eh? I think that's one of the biggest reasons that we don't hear a lot from 'recovered' Narcs - they'd have to wonder why they are the way they are in order to change anything about themselves, and that's a big no-no for a Narc's house-of-cards ego.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    4. Vanci, you're right. They never wonder 'why'. well, except to wonder WHY they are surrounded by assholes. (<--Spaceballs). I think it is a form of tunnel vision. It's a skip in the record. "how can I make this better for me how can I make this better for me how can I make this better for me" etc., world without end. and THIS could be a conversation, a situation, a dinner...

      Delete
    5. I think they know why, they just teach/expect everyone else not to ask.

      Delete
  7. I asked a similar question. I kept asking, "When is the truth going to matter?" It never did, and now I know it never will to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brace, When what they do, say or think no longer matters, we're free.

      The truth matters but they don't!

      Delete
    2. Brace,
      You're so right, the truth will never matter to them. But that doesn't mean it can't matter to us. Realizing that the truth is the truth, regardless of how the Narcs play with it and attempt to change it (they can't) was a huge step for me in understanding that I didn't have to play their games anymore.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  8. Thanks, Vanci! This is so clarifying. I didn't feel like I was finally out of the loop until I stopped lying to myself. You're so right about thinking that if I know why then I can change it. I had to change my perspective to: If I know why, then I can change me and make sure I don't travel down the same road. Which, of course, led me to stop lying. If I stop lying, then all the nonsense stops. Thanks so much for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy!
      I'm so glad to hear from you and that this post touched you.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  9. "And when I got away, I continued to try to understand why? I had hours long conversations with NM where I thought we'd resolved something, where she'd really listened... and then I'd get a call from someone else in the NFOO minutes later asking why I had said all the things that I hadn't or hadn't said the things I did."

    I did get to the point of deciding, about 3 years ago, that whatever their reasons, they don't get to do it to me anymore. But I regretted that I had never been able to get them to really discuss the issues, because I felt that would have helped, and I felt I had missed out on that possibility.

    Your comment is a huge revelation, thanks! It made me realize that the content of what little response I had been getting to my efforts to discuss the problems was disturbingly like your account; I hadn't missed out on anything other than further distress. --quartz

    ReplyDelete
  10. quartz,
    It's been my experience that they will NEVER get to the point of having a real conversation with us or anyone else who they are interested in using or manipulating. It's just part of their unfortunate natures, I think.
    The key for me was in realizing that it didn't have anything to do with me: that I would never be able to present a situation that would force them to tell the truth, no matter what.

    Once I got there, I was able to start letting go. I hope you are too.

    Love,
    Vanci

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I have been, except for my regret for what I thought was an opportunity I had missed out on; that notion was blessedly blown away by your account. --quartz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, that regret was blessedly blown away by your account. What relief I feel about this since having read your description of this! --quartz

      Delete
    2. quartz,
      I am SO glad that my experience could help you as yours helps me. Hold on to that relief; it's hard fought for and won, I'm sure!

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete