Friday, October 12, 2012

I Own My Experience, You Own Yours

I'm not very good at being quiet.
I spent an enitre childhood, adolescence and young adulthood being quiet and nice and covering everybody elses' ass.  That silence hurt me.  That silence damn near killed me.

So now, in the real world, I have a teeeeensy bit of a reputation, and here's what it is:  Only ask Vanci if you want the truth. Hopefully, that comes through in my writing here and you can take a look at my past posts and get a fairly good idea of the platform of honesty on which I stand (and sometimes fall flat on my face on.) 

I've also survived tremendously horrific events and attacks in my life; almost exclusively these attacks have been executed by the abusive members of the NFOO or the abusive people just like the NFOO that I've at times invited into my life.  They kept me bound and gagged about this for a long time, preventing me from seeking help.  Yet I survived, and I started healing when I determined that I would never be muzzled again.  I try to be diplomatic - Q and Jonsi, how'm I doin'? - but I will say what I need to say.  My mental health depends on it.

I know how it helps me to tell the truth, to speak up about my life.  I hope that my voice can help you, too.  I try to follow the 12-step model in communicating about my ACoN-ness (is that right?  Should it be my ACoN Essence maybe?  We could bulid an ACoN brand to be marketed by shiny happy ladies in smart skirt suits, going from door to door and ringing the bell to say... "ACoN calling!"  Maybe?  Although, the Essence d'ACoN might not be such an attractive smell, now that I think about it.  We'd have to have Eau d'Fear, Essence of Shame, Come-Uppance Cologne, Invisibility Spray.  Hmmm.  I might have to rethink that.)  But I digress.

My point is this: when speaking here in ACoN land, I try to, in AA speak, share my experience, strength and hope.  Sometimes, in order to share those moments of what happened, what it was like and how it is now, I have to hang out some dirty undies on the line.  I don't like it, you might not like it but it's real and I've found that, for me, in order to heal, I have to speak the truth out loud.  I talk to counselors and real world friends and family of choice about this stuff, but let's face it, the only people who can truly understand that terror of growing up in a Narc family are... well, us.  You.  So I talk to you about it and I try to put a little flag at the top of a post if I know that I'm talking about a specific common trigger, but I assume that you, on your journey to heal, will make choices about what you can and can't take in at that moment in time.

I know that I selectively edit when I read your blogs.  I've had to stop reading mid-blog post many times because something you had to say was making me uncomfortable or was bringing up old, awful feelings for me.  Sometimes I am enlightened enough to realize that your trigger triggered me because I have some more cleaning to do in my heart-house.  Sometimes I just have to move past that issue on that day full of the knowledge that it will come up again and hopeful that I'll be ready to tackle it next time.  Sometimes when I'm reading your truths, as much as I appreciate what you're saying, I just can't process it right then and there.  And do you know what?  That's okay here.  It's fine by me and it should be fine by all of the other 'members' of this community, because any of us interested in healing knows that we all have to walk our own paths in our own time.

Your experience, strength and hope has helped me in many, many ways, and I hope that mine helps you.  It's so valuable to us all to have different perspectives, different takes on things; it's how we learn, you know?

Now, on the flip side of the coin.  You've been through what you've been through and I've been through what I've been through and we have to accept that as fact, or we don't; we're welcome to leave here anytime, after all.  I have no right to bash your experience and you have no right to target and shoot down mine. 

That, for me, is the line that cannot be crossed.  I can say what I think and you can say what you think, but I have no right to judge you and you have no right to judge me.  If I do that or if you do that, we make this community unsafe, and that's the problem with the Kerfuffle over on Upsi's blog. 

Charity didn't speak her truth, she didn't have something uncomfortable to say, she didn't have an idea that was unpopular.  All of these things, in my sometimes not so humble opinion, would have been accepted and just fine.  I've seen it happen before, had it happen on my own blog that someone disagrees with the prevailing sentiment and we have a nice conversation about differing views.  ACoNs in recovery are, if anything, overly polite.  After all, we are nothing if not mannerly.  We had to be, right?

But that is not what Charity did.  Charity pulled out a heat seeking missle and targeted Upsi with the intention to wound.  And that is not okay, should never be acceptable.  Lest you think I'm a self-righteous, unyielding, hard ass, here's the comment that I made on the original post before we all knew it was Charity.

upsi dear,
I think I'm healed, because this letter made me laugh out loud before I made it through the first paragraph. All I could think was, Nee ner nee ner nee ner. Can that phrase actually be a literary tone, I wonder? Such tripe, such bull, can only be written by one of two types: Your mother's type or a truly victimized person who's lashing out at you because her own refusal to heal keeps her from lashing out at the true perpetrators of abuse.

On the small, small possiblity that the writer is the latter, I'd say this: Skip on over to my dormant blog for some 'true' abuse stories, writer, if you need abuse street creds and then hear me when I say this: Your pain will never,ever be diminished even slightly by your act of diminishing somone else's. Fix yourself, start your own blog and then say what you think you have to say. Showing up here anonymously is either proof that you're damaged beyond repair (i.e. a narc thyself) or that you're just out for more of the same type of negative attention that you were taught to think of as love (and this, in turn, is a cry for help.)

The problem with acting that out is that you're only vilifying yourself.
Abuse is abuse, after all - just as you've just abused upsi.

Seek help, anon, save yourself or remain unsaved.

Upsi, as always,
Love,
Vanci

So, yes, I have compassion for anyone twisted enough to attack in the way that Anon/Charity did.  Absolutely, I know that this letter writer is not a well person.  And that's okay in this community so long as your intention in being here is to get better, feel better, be better or to help others.

Anything else, in my opinion, is a sick person looking to make the people around her sicker so that she can feel better about not being well herself.  And that, dear friends, is sick and deserves to be quieted.  It's not productive, it's not condusive to healing and it scares people.  It's like showing up at a barn dance with a torch.  You're going to get a strong reaction.

My advice to new bloggers who are hesitant to hang it all out after watching Charity be shot down is this: Blog about yourself and focus on your story, not someone elses'.  No true ACoN in this community will hurt you, no true ACoN will kick you out for having a different opinion.  If Charity had stuck around and talked about who she really was, why she really cared and what she really did, she would have been well supported on her path to recovery.  But she chose to go, so we all send out pixie dust and happy thoughts in hope that she will get help, because she's obviously a hurtin' unit.  We empathize because we know what it is to hurt, but that empathy doesn't mean that she gets to paint targets on anyone else's back in this community and we will defend ourselves against attacks.  We have to.  Our mental health depends on it.

I try to take all this with a grain of salt, because we are, after all, all trying to get well.  That doesn't mean we are all well.  So we should have some levity and (to use my AA platitudes again,) take what's good and leave the rest.

We're here to and for help, not to and for hurt.  If we wanted more painful attacks in our lives, we could just call up our NParents or siblings, after all. 

Love,
Vanci

27 comments:

  1. Thanks Vanci, wholehearted big time thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upsi you are welcome.
      Now reach into that sack and get your wallet, you know the one, the one that says...

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Vi!
      I've been meaning to ask if you would mind inviting me to your blog?
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. Sure. I'm not sure if I have your email address to hook you up. If you type in my blog URL, it'll give you the choice to request access, and then I can grant permission.

      Which all sounds so mysterious -- I have to admit my blog's been rather sparse lately. Damn stalker for making me hide.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Vanci. You touched on everything I was thinking about and more. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Judy, and for always contributing your calm voice, too!
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  4. Well said, Vanci. I drag my baggage around like every other ACoN, but if I use it as an excuse to hurt someone else, please feel free to kick me in the ass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mulderfan,
      Thank you, my friend. You be my ass kicker at the ready, and I'll be yours.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete

  5. exactly: "If we wanted more painful attacks in our lives, we could just call up our NParents or siblings, after all".

    If we go to great lengths to cut family out of our lives who are demeaning and abusive, why would we put up with it from strangers on line?

    Q's Sis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Q's Sis,
      It was such a revelation to me when I figured that I didn't have to just 'take it.' From anyone. I'm glad you're here.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
    2. thank you Vanci! I agree, that's when you start feeling stronger is when you define your boundaries and feel you can choose for yourself. Like in this instance, we are free to choose for ourselves how we respond. All feelings are valid. Your post was great!
      love back,
      Q's Sis

      Delete
  6. Amen again, Vanci. It's your "rigorous honesty" that keeps me commin' back.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TW. And thanks for being a truth teller, too.
      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  7. Hi Vanci. I just want to say at the outset that I like your blog and I like your post. I agree with it in many ways. It's this one tiny part that hits at the root of my problem, being one of those new bloggers you mentioned:

    "My advice to new bloggers who are hesitant to hang it all out after watching Charity be shot down is this: Blog about yourself and focus on your story, not someone elses'."

    Quite a few people found Charity to be a suspicious character because she wrote about herself. Huge strike against her, because this is of course a narc trait. I was already feeling all kinds of selfish and guilty for writing about my experiences and this confirmed my fears. My blog is all about me me me. What's the difference between Charity and myself in this sense? Nothing, really! There does not seem to be a way to blog about my own issues publicly without being a bother to others the same way. There seems to be no way around this, unfortunately.

    (Also, my commenting is getting just as bad and self-absorbed as my posts - I can't seem to shut up today. Someone should tie my hands behind my back. :p)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elana, I think that your desire to want to understand this speaks volumes about you (in a good way).
      From my perspective, your blog should be about you. You should be writing about your perspective, your thoughts, you, you, you. I think that's why we all write. Is to get out own thoughts out of our head. I know my blog is all about me. We should be allowed one place (at least) to focus on ourselves.
      What people, in my opinion, picked up on in Charity's blog was her tone. It wasn't so much about what she was saying about herself, but how. I know this may seem like a hard distinction to make, but I think the fact that you are even worried about it, leads me to believe you are not a Charity. What I saw of Charity, is that she often blogged in a way that was meant to draw attention to herself. She spoke about herself as a desire to get others to give her attention. It seemed other's felt that instead of wanting to contribute, she often wanted to hijack and turn things around to herself, and only herself. She didn't seem to want to share but rather by in the forefront.
      I don't think you have a lot to worry about Elena. Write about yourself. Get it out. It is OK to talk about yourself. It is OK to write your experiences. And if other's think you are going over the line, they just won't read it. And that's OK too.

      Just try and stay away from verbally attacking and bashing others and you'll be fine ;).

      Delete
    2. Hi Elena!
      I remember feeling that way - like I was way too focused on me, me, me - both when I first started blogging and more significantly when I was first 'waking up' from the nightmare of my NFOO.
      I read your blog this morning and I can see that you are in that precarious boundary drawing phase with your N's right now, and that's a tough place to be.

      We are taught so early, so heavily and so well that we have NO right to focus on ourselves, that our very existence is contingent upon our giving our entire EVERYTHING to the N's. So it's a weird, scary feeling to suddenly start taking the time to put any energy into ourselves. That's what I see you doing in your blog and in your comments; trying to figure out how to do this healing thing for yourself and processing all that's happening to and because of you in your posts. And I think that's exactly what this community is here for.

      Newly hatched ACoN's are raw, raw, raw. That's part of the deal. And there's nothing wrong with that; you don't have to apologize for putting your pain out there in this community because we all understand that pain and that sometimes the only way to lessen it is to say it. No one will hold that against you or judge you for it.

      But there's a difference between talking about your pain and projecting it on to others, comparing it to others and making it a competition, which is the specific act that Charity got called out for. I didn't get to read any of Charity's blog or comments before she took it down, so I couldn't say what the specific red flags people are referring to are, but I do know that now, with a little experience under my belt, it's pretty easy to tell who the sheep are and who the wolves in sheep's clothing are. We all talk about ourselves, but people who are here with nefarious motives can't stand for anyone to talk about anything BUT them, and it sounds like that's more along the lines of what Charity was doing; hijacking threads and making them about her on a regular basis.

      I can tell you that your blog is lovely, well written and makes it obvious that you are focused on working your way through your own progress with a little help from your friends. I've added you to my reading list and look forward to hearing more about you, you, you :) as you work your way through the minefield of N's.

      Love,
      Vanci


      Delete
    3. Jessie,
      I didn't fully read your comment before responding to Elena: if I had I would have just copied and pasted this from your comment:
      "It seemed other's felt that instead of wanting to contribute, she often wanted to hijack and turn things around to herself, and only herself"

      On the nosey!
      Love,
      Vanci
      Adding you to my reading list, too.

      Delete
    4. Thank you Jessie and Vanci, You've both been very kind and have given me a lot to think about. Yes, it feels very raw indeed. It's hard to handle at times. I've known for years now what's wrong in my family of origin and had much therapy to try to undo the effects, but somehow writing the unvarnished truth about what happened is far scarier than expected and triggers a sort of existential dread.

      Perhaps I've erred by not accounting for this fear as part of the process and just reacted to the fear itself. At any rate, I will try to deal with it. Thank you again.


      Delete
    5. Sometimes being honest with ourselves can be the hardest thing. I found that, for me, I had to shake off the guilt I had for "outing" my family, mourn the family I thought (I wished)I had, accept the truths about my mother, and strip myself down to find myself.
      And if it helps, I've also found it to get easier. My first posts were writing with shaking hands and lots of tears. I was terrified. But it got easier (well, that's not quite the word, but the fear subsided A LOT). Some posts still can be hard for me, and I work up to them for days. But I've found that, always, once I get it out, I feel much better. Calmer, more relaxed. And I still haven't read back through any of my old posts. Even editing them for simple spelling and grammar can be hard for me.
      But bit by bit, I'm making progress. I hope you can push on too.

      Delete
    6. I was wondering the same thing...."But...my blog is focused on me and my experiences...and sometimes I refer to my own experiences in comments on other people's blogs....Is that narcissistic?" It's reassuring to read here that no, there is a distinct difference. :)

      Delete
  8. If any one can show me one ill word written about charity before she acted out, I'll eat my shoes. And I have me some huge feet.
    Doesn't matter if some of us said later we were seeing some real red flags leading up to her flame out. We kept it to our selves.
    She called the tune.
    She pays the piper.
    How narcish is that?
    Blindsiding upsi and then using her actions to garner sympathy?
    So it's OK if she blows someone out of the water. But we should tread softly with her.
    Vanci. This post is great. I was pressed for time last night.
    You nailed off the whole roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Q,
      Thanks so much. Very narcish in this girl's opinion. I'll keep my nail gun locked and loaded.

      Love,
      Vanci

      Delete
  9. Yeah, your post illuminates the issues very clearly, thanks. --quartz

    ReplyDelete